A few questions about the Legnum hatch for audio layout

MasqUAP

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dave
Drive
'98 VFR 800 / '92 Ford Laser Turbo / '10 Kia Cerato S
Hey all,

I haven't got my Legnum yet (it's somewhere in or between Brisbane and Adelaide) so I figured I'd fire these questions off

1. Can someone tell me the depth, width and height of the recess behind the wheel arches in the Legnums? I'm looking at fibreglassing a moulded box in there for a sub (or 2 if I can fit them both) rather than taking a chunk of the centre behind the rear seats as I have with the Magna

2. What's the little flap on the right hand (drivers side) that is on the floor behind the wheel arch (tools etc?)

3. Is there enough room under the front seats for amps?

4. Is the rear seat a 60/40 split, or single piece like the Magna?

I know I could wait until my own Legnum arrives, but I'm impatient and want to plan how I'm going to lay out the existing setup :)

FYI my current setup is a Panasonic USB headunit, Polk DB 6.5" splits front, Polk DB 6.5" 2 way rears, JVC 4 channel amp running the splits, Alpine 700w monoblock running the subs, and 2 x 12" Alpine Type S subs all run off 4ga power and stinger RCAs.

http://gallery.avonleigh.net/main.php?g2_itemId=146

Thanks

-Dave-

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
1...... cant tell you

2...... is storage space

3...... not alot of room there, but maybe

4...... 60/40

MasqUAP

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dave
Drive
Thanks

2. Cool, is a Type V so no AYC to worry about

4. Also cool, I got sick to death of having to fold down the whole seat to carry a crowbar etc

-Dave-

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
1: couldn't tell you the exact specs but if you pull some of the interior out theres plenty of space where the cd stackers were mounted

3: i was gonna mount mine there and there was room (alpine V12) but just chose not to, it was a perfect fit inside the lip of my space saver with just 4 velcro tabs to prevent it from rotating around so was a better and easier option for me (can still easilly be removed for space saver use and didnt have to chop anything to install)

MasqUAP

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dave
Drive
1. I know I'm pushing my luck to mount 2x 12" subs in there, but worst case I'll just put one in there and make the other a fruit bowel or something :)

3. My biggest reason for mounting them under the seats is I have 2 and one of them is pretty long, so under the seats ended up looking very tidy in the Magna. Good to know they will fit though, thanks

-Dave-

MasqUAP

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dave
Drive
Nice, something similar to what I want to do, looks really good. Is your sub a 10" or 12" and do you think you could fit in 2x 12" if the amp wasn't there and box was extended?

I could mount one on either side but I like the little side flap and want to mount an N64 in the left side anyway :)

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
the cd stackers came mounted in the boot wall at the very back left near the taillights but were accessible to the cd entry point through the flap in the side wall. the area in the flap isnt big enough for an amp but there is no sound proofing or anything in the whole back left section and plenty of space extending to the rear bumper and down to the floor and rear left panel of the car. if you cut out the carpet making the storage section behind the flap theres a huge amount of space there.

the ayc is on the opposite side in the same spot.

i had to move the ayc reservoir and remove the dead cd stacker to take the bumper off cause they were both in the way

MasqUAP

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dave
Drive
As an aside I also have the intention of removing the complete interior and putting in around 50 square feet of sound deadener, and then an EBC to offset the extra weight :)

Should order that soon... will take a while to get here from the US

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
i know its a crappy pic, just taken off my phone but you can see the metal section on the right thats cut out for where the ayc is and that metal section doesnt exist on the left (from memory so theres just huge open space occupied by the carpet section you wanna put the n64 in)

dont quote me on this though i havent seen my car for 2 or 3 weeks so purely from memory :tongue_smilie:

Attachments

• Image051.jpg
    Image051.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 86

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Nice, something similar to what I want to do, looks really good. Is your sub a 10" or 12" and do you think you could fit in 2x 12" if the amp wasn't there and box was extended?

I could mount one on either side but I like the little side flap and want to mount an N64 in the left side anyway :)

Mine is a 10". I don't think you could fit even a single 12" without making the box higher, and the load tie down tabs would get in the way. 2 x 10" might be possible however. But the box volume might not be all that suitable for them.

MasqUAP

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dave
Drive
Yeah nice, does look like a lot of room there, will be better when I can see it for myself (arrives in ADL 08/09/09)

I notice you have one of the double DIN 7" head units, is that one of the EBay GPS ones, or a brand name TV?

Edit: Also, why haven't you seen your car for 2 weeks? Once I finally get mine I won't be letting it out of my site :p

-Dave-

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
ebay cheapie. sound quality is pretty average to be honest, but really wanted dvd and tv etc which works really well and i couldnt afford a brand name one at the time. ive still got a good eclipse deck which was the original part of it if i wanted to swap it back over.

i see the car almost every day as i drive past my dads house but not up close. its sitting in the driveway while im waiting for people in nz to reply to emails and enquiries for my back bumper (hit a tree at the farm). could always put the dented one back on (quoted about 600-650 for repair or can get a mint one with full new respray for roughly 700 delivered so going that option) but it was too much of an effort to strip the interior to get at all the bolts so would rather wait till the new one comes in to prevent doing it all again. ive got access to lots of other cars

MasqUAP

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dave
Drive
Ah k coo, how do you find the rest of the features? You can get the fold out 7" single DIN ones for about the same price as the double DIN which would allow me to keep running the Panasonic HU for good sound quality, but the other one for DVDs / Nav etc. I have heard the EBay ones suffer a bit of audio quality, but TBH it's mainly for Nav and reverse / entertainment system (N64 or a modded XBox 1 if I can find one cheap)

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
the screen has good resolution and the bluetooth works really well. ipod connection is really good cause all the ipod controls come up on the screen and theres no screwing around with the ipod itself. havent got gps atm, the aerial that came with the car will need an adaptor and i dunno if itd really work anyway. i dont really need gps so it doesnt bother me

my favourite is the usb connection, i keep a portable harddrive in the centre console with every episode of topgear on it so whenever i wanna watch that i just plug it in

MasqUAP

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dave
Drive
Haha nice, all they need to do is review the VR4 :p

I don't think the ones up for sale ATM support my iPod (Touch 2nd Gen OS 3) which is a pity, but then I have the AV cable anyway, so I can just use that.

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
mines a second gen touch...didnt have an issue with iphones either

the only problem is how the touches interfere when battery gets to 20 or 10% and the music gets interrupted and starts again so i just make sure its kept charged

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Dave.

There is adequate room under my Recaros for reasonably sized amps and certainly enough room for a decent sized monobloc amp. I'm assuming there's no material difference for the standard seats.

If you have one of those massively long class A/B amps (think old skool Alpine V power), then there's no chance of getting it under the seat.

In terms of sound deadening, I'd definitely recommend using Dynamat on the inner and outer door skins and sealing up the door itself like this:

http://www.ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7011

MasqUAP

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dave
Drive
@ Dan: Wicked, I didn't think they supported the 2nd gen touch with OS 3 or the iPhone 3G, good to hear though

@ Bruce: Good stuff, the JVC is long (see the gallery.avonleigh.net link under the Magna stereo install) but hopefully it shouldn't be *too* long. As for sound deadener, I'm actually getting some gear out of the US which is good quality and much cheaper than dynamat. I have some in the Magna, and a friend of mine did his entire Ford Laser TX3 and Ford Fairmont in it and it really is exceptional quality. I'm just waiting for a response from them on shipping costs.

-Dave-

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Just a thought but have you considered mounting the amps on the plastic tray under the boot floor? I only have one amp in there at the moment but I think two would be possible. It's out of sight and easy to access if you need to fiddle with it. Plus it doesn't get kicked like amps under seats do and spare tyre is still easy to get. I can get a picture up if you like.

Top Bottom