A Few Questions For The Gurus

180Shauny

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Shaun
Drive
'96 MR2 GT
G'day All,
I'm looking into the possibilities of Legnum ownership as they appear to be a truly epic family wagon. I've read the review and a few other bits and pieces and was hoping you could help me with a few noob questions.
1. I've driven a Stagea before, how does the Legnum compare?
2. I hear cruise control is not available, has anyone fitted an aftermarket unit? Does it work?
3. I hear parts like timing belts, etc are hard to get in Australia. How much am I looking at to get a set of belts from Japan/NZ?
4. The cooler for the gearbox, what is involved and how much is it?
5. My impression so far is that this is an awesome car as long as you don't get a lemon. Are there any common problems I can expect? Are they expensive to fix? I own an MR2 now and accept that costs are always higher when you want a splendiforous car.
6. I'm 25 with rating 1 for life, any ball park figures on insurance? Any recommended insurers?

That's enough for now, thanks in advance!

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
To answer your questions:

1. Search is your friend
2. Search is your friend
3. Search is your friend
4. Search is your friend
5. Search is your friend
6. Search is your friend

:D

ok well you may have tried searching already - sometimes the information is harder to find than it ought to be. First place to start would be all the stickied threads, especially this one: http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?11-INDEX-Look-here-FIRST.

My real answers to your questions:
1. No idea about the drive, but the styling is no contest.
2. Aftermarket cruise control has been fitted to at least one car here on the forum, with success.
3. Full 100,000 km service kit, including belts and water pump, can be anywhere from $500 to $1000 depending where you source it from.
4. I think people are using a $100-$150 unit you can get locally. Not too hard to install from what I hear (I drive a manual).
5. Common problems... the dash clock. Fix is free if you already own a soldering iron :) Auto transmission wave spring - not so expensive to preventatively replace, but very expensive to fix. Ticking hydraulic lash adjusters - annoying but most of us put up with it. Searching will turn up more, there's an entire thread I think.
6. Ring around. It varies so much even within one provider that there's no way to predict what you'll be quoted. Note that the mainstream companies will probably not want your business however.

180Shauny

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Shaun
Drive
'96 MR2 GT
Thanks Mookers, will do. I had looked around but managed to miss the big thread saying LOOK HERE FIRST...

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
The Stagea's are a lot heavier and bigger than a Legnum closer to a Commodore almost! They are the perfect combination of handling and performance.

ConnerS

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
02 Legnum type S
98 Lancer Evo 5 GSR
My Legnum is fitted with cruise control and wired directly into my evo momo wheel.
It may or may not be up for sale soon though as that car is now written off but i have plans to buy another one and swap almost every aftermarket part to the new Legnum. It cost the original owner roughly $1000 so expect it up for sale for ~$400 to $500. havnt decided what its worth yet:p

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
PM sent on cruise

RxR

Crunching Gears
First Name
Haydn
Drive
1999 Legnum
6- I have rating one, being 23 my insurance through JUST CAR is 1300 but i would assume over 25 would be alot cheaper.
How soon are you looking to buy?
I have a stock manual black, and am potentially selling late this side of xmas or by march next year. depending on how a friends Crewman SS drives (im thinking of a VY ss wagon man)

ConnerS

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
02 Legnum type S
98 Lancer Evo 5 GSR
27102010165.jpg

27102010166.jpg

27102010167.jpg

Would you like any more specific photos?

180Shauny

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Shaun
Drive
'96 MR2 GT
Awesome guys, thanks so much for the help! I have to say this site is a gold mine, on MR2.org we do our best but you've really got it down pat!

RxR, I'm definitely interested, I'd given up hope of finding a manual. Will PM you.

Finally one more small thing, is there anyone around the Doncaster area that might consider letting us see it up close and maybe take us for a ride? Trying to sway the boss (woman) but she's a bit intimidated...

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Finally one more small thing, is there anyone around the Doncaster area that might consider letting us see it up close and maybe take us for a ride? Trying to sway the boss (woman) but she's a bit intimidated...

Come to the next wash meet if you can. Hasn't been scheduled yet, but.

JiMi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jamie Kendrick
Drive
98 leggy, 90 gvr4, holden rodeo
i'm in reservoir if you wanna shoot over one night i can take you for a spin. pm me and we can sort something out

Top Bottom