POD FILTER's I need help people, please!!!!!!!!!!!!

millsy

Crunching Gears
First Name
Jason
Drive
vr4 galant, 2005 WRX Club Spec Evo 8
hey guys ive just installed a pod filter to my 96 vr4 galant i got a bracket to fit it straight to the AFM, it drives fine until i reach about 4500rpm then the car shits itself!!
any suggestions??
why is this happening, can i solve and fix this problem or should i put the snorkel and airbox back on??

neep heklp asap please!!

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Put the airbox and snorkel back on, pod filters in general decrease performance and only cause headaches as your now finding out.

Pod filter fitment generally disturbs air flow through the MAF sensor which is why its crapping itself at 4,500rpm

This has been discussed many many times on the forum... Search is your friend....

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
^^^ u cant say 'pod filters in general decrease performance'. thats very ignorant to other makes and models, filters, air flow metres, piping geometry, etc.

basically read the pod filters thread (and ur crazy for not doing so already).

a generic pod doesnt suit the mitsubishi style air flow metre as it needs a steady flow of air, and a generic pod creates too much turbulance/circulation when sucking in air.

search for a mitsubishi K&N rampod filter. thats what ive had my car for well over 6 months without a single hiccup. i bought mine off a sponsor on here.

l_44d7b77d9eb84d309cef3eccd2e0bfc9.png

millsy

Crunching Gears
First Name
Jason
Drive
sweet as cheers!!!
yeah i shouldve checked the forums but i got the whole kit set up from a performance workshop and the guy said its to suit the jdm vr4, but most likely he was just pulling my chain!!
cheers guys off to put the snorkel back on!!

millsy

Crunching Gears
First Name
Jason
Drive
hey steve does $137 sound right for the pod kit in question??

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
yeah they didnt have a clue about ur car. just trying to sell u shit.

i think i paid around $150 or something for mine earlier in the year. perhaps slightly cheaper now. but yeah that sounds about right.

millsy

Crunching Gears
First Name
Jason
Drive
sweet as yeah i just saw ur pic and it looks like the one that rpm sells so thinking next pay check will pick one up!! does it sounds anything different??

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
LOL, your wasting your money................................... show me where there is any "documented" performance or economy gains from this.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
yep i bought mine off rpm. i would return the one u bought tho, seeing they sold u a product that doesnt suit ur application recommended by the shop staff.

when i first put it on, i couldnt really hear much difference. a bit of intake noise and a slight squeek when the bov goes off. so i removed the bov, blocked up all the piping, and sounds ****ing awesome now. everyone asks me what bov i have. im like nothing mate, factory lol. u get flutter depending on gear, boost and rpm. seeing its twin turbo, i think the air waves collide in the intake pipes and defuse each other of the flutter noise, but u defiantly get a loud woosh.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
LOL, your wasting your money................................... show me where there is any "documented" performance or economy gains from this.
right next to the part where putting 235's on a 7" rim is advised ;)

millsy

Crunching Gears
First Name
Jason
Drive
sweet as bro cheers!! i have seen u parked down pt adelaide a few times might bump into u on the road down there somewhere as i live at woodville!

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
oh yeah cool. for sure, stop for a chat. i work in port adelaide, so thats prob why u see it so often. usually parked near the corner of grand junction and port rd.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Even those pod filters are still crap. They will be sucking hot air in from the engine bay, especially at low speeds and cause knock and lower performance. The ECU does have a pickup for air intake temp and retards timing as well.

If you 'upgrade' to a pod filter on a VR-4 without a MAP sensor (read full ECU) and having it in a cold airbox then you have in fact downgraded.

Kingy

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
James
Drive
VR4 Galant 96 Series 1
Stock airbox

Hey guys,

Anyone know where I can get a stock airbox. I have one of those damned pod filters (which came with the car) and I just want to bring it back to stock. Have tried looking on Trademe etc but to no avail. I've heard $260 from Japan. Details? Cheers

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
yep theres a bov thread on here im sure. and in there we (well me lol) dicussed the pointlessness of a bov. and how many cars dont run them (high boosted drag cars, etc), and that they are only on the car to make everything nice and quiet.

basically a bov releases presurised air in ur intake pipes. removing the bov will cause the air to drop in pressure slowly (flutter) meaning the turbos wont need to spool up from nothing when ur back on the throttle.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
Steve, mind doing a sound recording for me? and probably for alot of others here too? :D I have a BOV that only opens under certain load, and when i had my pod (gone to stock airbox again now, MAJOR improvement in smoothness of the car) ive noticed it did have the whoosh of air back through it under the certain loads and sometimes could flutter.

Also a question not sure if its covered in the other topic - does the airflow meter read air going back through the other way? what happens there...

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Josh - I too have the same situation that my BOV will only open on certain. But the funny thing is, when reversing, my BOV will go off (LOL).

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
hmm ill see if i can somehow record it. its not overly loud. but im looking forward to the induction noise once i go a fmic with all ally piping from the turbos.

im not actually sure how afm's work in reverse. but they defiantly account for that air, otherwise it would be worst than a atmo bov. not only would the intake system lose a large volume of air, but it would be reading it twice and in affect thinking it lost twice as much air.

im not sure how the mitsubishi afm's work. but when i was working on my silvia and upgrading the stock one to a RB25 unit. i found out they work by using a 'hot wire'. basically theres a filament in the middle of the unit like a light bulb. as more air passes thru the afm, cooler the the wire becomes from the passing air. and this temperature change is used to calculate the volume of air passing. sounds very crude i know, but its been working on cars for decades.

and of course ur bov will open (under the correct pressure) in reverse. gearing has no bearing on intake pressure.

Top Bottom