Power Steering Problem

G

Unregistered
Hi Guys, I was driving to work this morning, I was driving quite hard at the time got it sideways on quite a few corners, but after that spirited driving it felt like the Power Steering pump was not working at all, so I got to work and had a quick look with the torch couldnt see any leaks and all looked well so just left it, then later when I left work and drove home the problem seemed to be half recovered because it works ok if I have the revs up a bit but if the car is at low rpm or idleing it is still hard to turn the wheel, so my question is, does anyone with a little more knowledge have any ideas about this one, and yes it is the Leggie this time, who would of thought I could have power steering problems with both cars within a couple of days.
Thanks in advance for all responses

G

Unregistered
Hey Hey

Yeah the pump wll need replacing. I suspect that the pump has shit some of the internal seals and the oil is feeding back into the header tank so at low revs there is no pressure supplied to the rack and at high revs there will be a little pressure supplied to the rack. Rebuild the one you have or buy a brand new dont go second hand as it will most likley go south just like the one you have twice as fast.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
yeah a few peoples power steering pumps have gone when they've been thrashing them.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Lee had a similar problem.. when it first showed up, his PS didn't work at all.. but after a few nights/week(?!) of driving.. it seemed to have worked again but only in high revs..

we replaced the PS pump in the end.. he bought the FTO version, which is also similar

pm him about how we remove it.. I think he's got pics too..

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Nope no pics sorry - but I do have two PS pumps sitting in my garage.
One I bought off Gly from NZ and the other is the one I took out of my car which we opened up and tested and it seems to be pumping fine so I'm not sure why it wasn't working on the car (it actually worked perfectly the morning I drove to Christians to get it replaced).

PM me if you need one.

cheers

Lee

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Nope no pics sorry - but I do have two PS pumps sitting in my garage.
One I bought off Gly from NZ and the other is the one I took out of my car which we opened up and tested and it seems to be pumping fine so I'm not sure why it wasn't working on the car (it actually worked perfectly the morning I drove to Christians to get it replaced).

PM me if you need one.

cheers

Lee

hehe.. maybe it got scared.. Lee.. maybe it only needed a good flush?

coz when we opened it up.. nothing was broken right? but then again we didnt get to check the release(!?) valve..

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Yeah, everything looked fine internally and when we spun it by hand it pumped fluid fine with no leaks.

I don't really understand how the pressure valve thingo works so not sure how to test that.

cheers

Lee

G

Unregistered
Can anyone confirm, does a VR4 have its own power steering pump or will any 8th Gen V6 Legnum or Galant pump fit onto it.

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
My current pump is off an FTO and fitted fine.

However, I do think my steering felt heavier after fitting it so it may be that other pumps fit but may have different specs?

cheers

Lee

kiddyvr4

Crunching Gears
First Name
monty
Drive
VR4 Galant 1997
I just went through this with my machanic after doing some circle work in the wet.....who would have thought it awd donuts kill p/s pumps lol.

From what he told me the FTO/6A12 pump fits but dosnt have the two extra pulgs on it for cooling/overflow pipes.

Would this be correct guys?

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
No, all the pipes/plugs connected up fine. I just think the steering felt a bit heavier so maybe they don't pump at the same rate/pressure.

cheers

Lee

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Heavier steering wouldn't be unwelcome on my Legnum... I think it's a bit too light as it is. If my PS pump ever dies I'll get an FTO unit.

G

Unregistered
Yeah i knew that the FTO pump would fit but im refering to a STR or any other NA V6 model, because I was told that VR4 pumps can be hard to find in NZ but NA ones are easier to find, just wanted to know if they were the same because people I have spoken to havnt had both to compare, I am after a second hand one as I dont want to fit FTO one as FTO is alot smaller and lighter car and not sure how pump will last in legnum, could be overloading it, maybe thats why Lee is saying his steering is heavier, heavier steering may feel better but is it going to shorten the life of the pump.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
in my opinion, PS pumps from STR or NA V6 should fit, cause they're still using the 6A series block, which means same mounting points and everything else.. except for the cylinder head since some are SOHC and DOHC..

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
that may not be true, the 6a13 sohc oil filter for example mounts in a completely different way. I don't know for sure though

G

Unregistered
Yeah thats the kind of thing that im getting at, it could be mounted different to allow for intercooler pipe work or something like that.

Top Bottom