1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
+1 fan of this stuff

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Yep, good stuff isn't it? Wait until you some thick sticky black thing on your engine and you'll ask yourself where that shit came from.

See my post here:

http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?p=147407

At first I was very impressed about the product as per my post on the first and second page of this thread until I decided to change my lifters. And to my suprised, it was an oil gunk.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

MLVR4

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Thai
Drive
EVO 7 RS with EVO 9 FACE LIFT
Yep, good stuff isn't it? Wait until you some thick sticky black thing on your engine and you'll ask yourself where that shit came from.

See my post here:

At first I was very impressed about the product as per my post on the first and second page of this thread until I decided to change my lifters. And to my suprised, it was an oil gunk.

did pro-ma stop working for you? is that why you decided to change the lifters?

I wonder if other lifter additives will do the same?

G

Unregistered
hows the motul oil? are they any good?
I have Motul in my Leggy now and my engine is whisper quiet.I also run it in my R34 and my Commodore.My mate uses it in his R33 gtr/Aristo/Supra without a problem and another mate of mine uses the Semi Synthetic (cant remember the exact name) In his 11.5 second Aristo with something like 500hp without a hitch and he swears by it.Has been running it for years and recommends it to anyone, just needs to be changed a little sooner than the Full Synth.

G

Unregistered
I also use Motul for my Diff and Transfer Case.So does the same mate with the R33GTR and the Aristo. I have heard good things about their M/T fluid too but its no good to me for my Leggy :thumbdown: Goes Alright in my Commodore too (It does have a fancy Getrag 5speed)

EDIT* While I'm at it, I have used their motorcycle products (chain lube,filter oil and cleaner,fork oil,engine oil) and its been nothing but good news.But each to their own i suppose.

hozza

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nathan
Drive
97 COTY manual legnum.(gone)
96 GTO MR
S13 silvia
Irwin,
Do you know that the gung is a direct result of the product.
could have happened b4 you own the car.
over heating?

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
did pro-ma stop working for you? is that why you decided to change the lifters?

I wonder if other lifter additives will do the same?

No, I decided to changed my lifters back then it is because I couldn't justify on how much I am spending on PRO-MA which it only reduces the ticking noise. You need to be aware that pro-ma does not fix your lifters ticking problem.

Try this, have at least 200ml of engine oil on a bottle and mix with pro-ma, shake it and you'll see that it disolves and bonds together then some will sticks on the side wall of the bottle like it was peanut butter residue. This residue will then sticks on to your engine components which will then somehow turns onto a gunk like what I have discovered when I changed my lifters. I am no expert nor have a deep knowledge but what I am saying it just from my experienced.

Irwin,
Do you know that the gung is a direct result of the product.
could have happened b4 you own the car.
over heating?

My car had no history of overheating nor had any history of an engine problem even on its previous owner back in Japan. I thas a clean history and well documented log book services. I have also inspected the engine long before I started using PRO-MA such when I replaced my spark plugs, replaced my rocker cover gaskets and it was clean. I've used PRO-MA for the course of little over 1yr before I decided to replaced my lifters that is when I've discovered that gunk.

ps. that picture is not from my engine, I've just used it for an example only.

G

Unregistered
Found this online.

Lifter noise is often caused by poor maintenance, i.e. not changing oil at the correct intervals. As the oil oxidises and forms hard carbon deposits, particles of the carbon break away and are carried into the lifter, where they accumulate and restrict oil flow. Poor servicing also contributes to the formation of varnish, which reduces tolerances and causes the lifter to stick. Care should be exercised in establishing suitable oil change intervals. At the same time it is good practice to always flush the engine prior to oil and filter change to help rid the system of sludge and carbon.

The use of high viscosity engine oils will contribute to lifter noise as it reduces the flow of oil through the lifter and takes longer to pump up initially. Reduced flow means more opportunity for particles to settle in the lifter. High viscosity oils generally oxidise more readily and produce more carbon. This is because the thicker oil takes longer to drain away from the top of the cylinder head (the hottest lubricated part of the engine). Generally speaking, high viscosity engine oils take longer to drain to the sump for cooling and longer to circulate; hence they do not carry away heat as quickly. This contributes to accelerated oxidation and carbon and sludge formation.

I don't have noisy lifters so I don't use any products (other than good oil) What does the Pro-Ma do that stops the noise? By the looks of that sludged up engine and also from the fact it needs to be replaced every oil change and stops working when you stop using it (as opposed to curing the problem), It would seem it's works by thickening the oil and hiding the noise rather than making any effort to remove any sort of build up from the lifters themselves. I'm no expert, I'm far from it but if what I have read about noisy lifters in general is true, that is that the noise is caused by all manner of byproduct buildup,or mechanical damage and wear and tear, shouldn't you avoid adding more products to the engine with every oil change rather than something that goes in the oil once or twice to actually clean the lifters?The only product I have personally seem that claims to be able to do this is Nulon Lifter-Free, check here http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Engine_Treatments/Lifter-Free_and_Tune-Up/#.TzTL2lyJTYg which seems to have gotten mixed reviews. but I'm sure something else must exist somewhere else in the world. That said, what everyone uses is up to them and what they feel works in their personal experience.

aaron68nz

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Aaron
Drive
2001 Legnum series 3 manual

See my post here:

Just got some info. in an email from pro-ma which offers a reason and a fix for any sludge issues. They essentialy say that the additive is flushing out the gunk which may already exist in the typically colder crevices of your engine etc. Actually the whole email is interesting but here's a copy and paste of part of it:

When adding the Pro-Ma MBL Oil Concentrate to engines more than two years old, or with more than 50,000 kilometres/30,000 miles on the odometer, it is prudent to recommend an oil and filter change after 1,000 kilometres of operation in case there has been an accumulation of black sludge.

SG/CD and CE Oils and the Pro-Ma MBL Oil additive can progressively remove this contaminant from its location. Oil pressure gauges and warning lights should be frequently monitored during this brief period and immediate action be taken should any abnormality become apparent.

With most engines it is possible to inspect the inside of the value chamber by removing the oil filler cap, and checking with the aid of a torch. If inspection shows the engine to be badly sludged, then the appropriate action can be taken.

The Pro-Ma MBL Oil additive cannot rectify broken components, or repair parts that have reached the end of their working life. However if it is used correctly it can reduce engine wear and extend the useful life of moderately worn components and maintain internal engine cleanliness.

G

Unregistered
If you need to add this to your oil, then you are using the wrong oil.

aaron68nz

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Aaron
Drive
2001 Legnum series 3 manual
Using the right oil and viscosity I'd say would generally be a more effective prevention than cure for the tick-tick.

Sometimes, or rather on some cars/engines, no matter which oil or viscosity you use the ticking remains (this from years of personal experience on previous cars) and you're left with the pro-ma or replace the lifters options. According to the pro-ma people the additive actually flushes out the gunk that helps create sticky lifters.

hozza

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nathan
Drive
97 COTY manual legnum.(gone)
96 GTO MR
S13 silvia

I use the right oil viscosity and change it before it hits the 5000 mark and I still have ticking noises.
So if there is an oil that is known to stop lifter tick that I havent tried, Please share.
This stuff is known to work and this thread started years ago, no one has had issues with it.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S

I use a quality fully synthetic oil which I change either before 5000 Km's or right on it with the recommended viscosity and still get the ticking on startup from time to time.

If you have to use it period, it's time you change your lifters.

I think that is a little narrow minded Brad, if it is just carbonised oil trapped in the lifters making the noise, then wouldn't cleaning them to a serviceable condition or using an oil additive that cleans them be a sufficient fix?

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Sometimes i thank God for having owned a Legnum with lifter noise in the past for I was introduced to Pro-Ma MBL8 through here.

I have always used this product in every other vehicle i've owned since the ownership of my Legnum began in 2008.

It's such a good product. Not just for noisy engines or lifter tick but just as a preventative maintenance additive.

I might have to buy a 4L on my next order.

Link
359-1-item.jpg

Top Bottom