Problem - outside temperature malfunctioning in climate control

wesleyong

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
Lancer wagon 4G93T / 1999 Legnum VR-4
Hey guys,

My climate control outside temperature is going crazy. Was driving along and I heard the climate control do a beep. I looked at it and it had put on the outside temp display and was showing zero degrees. Then went -1. Then went -2. And slowly one degree at a time, worked it's way to -12. WEIRD?!?!?!

It has then just sat at -12 degrees. Of course, that does seem to confuse climate control. For example, if in reality it is 20 degrees outside and I set my climate to 19, it puts the heater on thinking it's freezing outside.

It has been working fine, till tonight. My first guess is either the main climate control dash unit, or the sensor at the front of the car. Christian did spray the heck out of the engine bay last night (thanks again dude!), but that shouldn't affect it...

Any ideas? Thanks guys!

Wes

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Disconnect it for a while, so it resets. Reconnect it and see what happens.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
don't see how it can mess with the outside temp sensor, as I also pressure wash that area as well..

I'd do what Pete suggested first then go from there..

if I caused the issue.. sorry..

wesleyong

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
Lancer wagon 4G93T / 1999 Legnum VR-4
Christian - no need for apologies! I appreciate your help very much! I'm sure you didn't cause it anyways.

OK, hopped back into my car and seems to have healed itself... :S

Thanks guys!

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
cool.. that means I'm off the hook..

but wait.. did you manage to find out if you were losing coolant? I got a bit worried with that one cause it looked really fresh, as if had it just come out..

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
You guys high pressure sprayed the engine? o_O

Far out you're both brave souls...

hehe I too pressure wash my engine bay, not only twice but multiple times and I hadn't have any issues, yet.

Wes - check the sensor which is just behine the front bumber, below the rad on the passenger side.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I have that sensor mounted just below my airbox :) It is kind of cool to see the temps that your engine is sucking in at all times.

I'm guessing that the sensor would be the problem as I can't imagine a loose or faulty cable would cause it to do that.

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
I have that sensor mounted just below my airbox :) It is kind of cool to see the temps that your engine is sucking in at all times.

Now you gave an idea Brad, I will follow your footsteps lol

Top Bottom