Pulling Engine & Transmission out

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Hey fellas

this question goes to members here who's pulled out their engine and transmission..

any advice that you guys can give me apart from the obvious parts and connections..

planning on doing this sometime next month or september..

G

Unregistered
its easier to drop it out the bootom than to lift it out the top

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Only if you can lift the rest of the car that high - its easier to hire an engine crane than it is to get a car lift in your garage ;)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
reason i ask.. I'll be doing the service soon..

will be replacing the brass seals as well.. about the taking off the engine.. i will drop it rather than lift it up since the space at the top is a little cramped and possibility of stuffing other parts too..

G

Unregistered
Only if you can lift the rest of the car that high - its easier to hire an engine crane than it is to get a car lift in your garage ;)

Id have to say for my money carstens right, we had a go at it a month or two ago on a CVR4 guys car, and i think you have to be superman to angle the engine and box enough to get it out the top past the chassis rails. We just used some blocks of wood and a normal jack to get the car high enough.. was a bit dangerousy looking, but it worked damm well:ROFLMAO:

I suppose if you had the gearbox off first it would probably come out the top?

G

Unregistered

its still eaiser to get the car up high, (even with only sissor jacks)

done this twice now.

we still had a engine crane thou, to drop the motor slowly and lift it back in,

theres more to removed if you lift,
if you drop it, you can leave it nearly fully intact (eng/gearbox/transfer case)

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I can't imagine what it'd take to get the car high enough to lift it over the engine without a lift... maybe I'm just not being creative enough ;)

Top Bottom