Query re: Service Intervals and schedules for everything.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
G'Day Everyone.

Being the LEAST experienced DIY mechanic around these parts (did my first ever oil change on Loki a few months ago!) and not having a hand on the English service manual yet, I was hoping we'd able to put together a list of what should be replaced, when and how long it lasts for.

I know some of you have been doing full lube services for a while and I'm trying to keep the maintenance costs down by doing what I can by myself, plus learning more about the car and how performance/turbo vehicles work.

Here's a few I can think of

Timing Belt
-80,000km

Or every five years, considering age of component, etc. It's a good idea to also replace the water pump at this time for preventative maintenance.

Air Filter
-

Standard paper filter.

Engine Oil and Filter
-5,000km

Spark Plugs
-10,000km to 100,000km

Depending on type. Standard is 10,000km whilst others (NGK Iridiums, for example) will last longer.

AYC
-

Automatic Gearbox
-

Must have HFM Mitsubishi Diamond SP-III, or the AMSOIL equivalent mentioned in the forums. Also, depending on the car, you may require the AT oil filter as well that sits on top of the gearbox and is fiddly to get to from the engine bay.

Transfer Case
-

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
I know I've forgotten/ignorant about a number of items here. Feel free to mod my post (if you can) or post answers and hopefully the above list will evolve. Yes, I've used the "search" but the information is everywhere. Feel free to delete if necessary.

Cheers! :D

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Done and done :)

Don't mind if I post it up here? The info that is!

Rasi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
2001 Nissan Elgrand - Previously the "best" factory optioned 2000 Legnum (manual, suade recaros)hehe

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
all i know,because i wanted a shop to flush my ayc,but they looked into it and apparently a mitsubishi dealership has to actually hook it up to a pump and pump the fluids out,and they recommend doing it every 90,000kms

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Not sure about 'hooking up a pump' as the AYC hydraulic pump will get in the way unless you bypass it, as will the proportioning valve and left and right chamber valves. More like hooking up an MUT-II diagnostic computer to bleed the system using the internal pump.

Honestly I'm surprised they said it should only be done every 90,000kms - I'm sure I've seen something on CVR4 about a 20,000km change. Maybe they just wanted you to go away for another 30,000kms?? ;)

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
possibly,its a good workshop for imports and subarus,and 1 of the 2 guys in the shop worked for mitusbishi services for 10 years,maybe they just didnt want to do it,they told me exactly what i wrote in the above post,needed to be hooked up to a pump and pumped out

Subaru ETA

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
97 Galant VR-4 M/T
i was told 40k for AYC by mitsi... but he also said it dependeds how you drive. he has had people who have never had the AYC bars light up!

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
That they know of anyway... There are a lot of people out there that almost never look at the dash whilst they're driving, certainly not while cornering.

BTW thought I'd add a cross-link to the other thread going on atm for the 100,000km service parts list.

Top Bottom