AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
So the VR4 is my first turbo/import...
Whilst daily driving I've noticed on more than one occasion a hesitation/flat spot/vibration when trying to accelerate through 70-75km/h in 4th gear at ~2800RPM

Is this the norm (lag), a problem or just my ghey driving or a combination of one or more of these?

A part from fixing my driving style I thought about checking the following:
1. tune <<< will be done after new silicone intake piping & Apexi AFC Neo are installed
2. clutch <<< bit of slippage, currently sourcing an upgraded replacement & flywheel
3. spark plugs / gaping <<< will check whilst it's in the shop for the above
4. engine mounts

Thoughts?

(Constructive posts only please, flames not welcome!)

tommy86

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
Really fast Magna wagon thingy
Cant really comment about 1 and 2 as i haven't yet had mine tuned and i have an auto, but they will help.
If you haven't done the plugs since you got the car, get a set of colder iridium plugs and if you are upping the boost at all lower the gap a bit.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
Cant really comment about 1 and 2 as i haven't yet had mine tuned and i have an auto, but they will help.
If you haven't done the plugs since you got the car, get a set of colder iridium plugs and if you are upping the boost at all lower the gap a bit.

Might check with Stephen to suss the situation with the plugs, seems they were changed about ~12,000kms ago.
http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread....pe-V-w-Recaros&p=164213&viewfull=1#post164213

What the recommended gaping for these?

tommy86

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
Really fast Magna wagon thingy
.8 to .9 for stock boost, i've gapped mine at .6 or .7 with 1 bar of boost.

but i cant see that being a issue with good plugs which are that new

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
The car should be perfectly smooth and willing to accelerate from about 1200rpm through to 7500rpm without any stuttering or anything at all.

mchieff

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dennis
Drive
Legnum
I agree with Brad, mine has no hesitation anywhere in the rev range
Sounds like over/underfueling at that spot which would strange if its only at that one spot
Have you changed computers? If you have it needs a tune

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
So the VR4 is my first turbo/import...
Whilst daily driving I've noticed on more than one occasion a hesitation/flat spot/vibration when trying to accelerate through 70-75km/h in 4th gear at ~2800RPM

Is this the norm (lag), a problem or just my ghey driving or a combination of one or more of these?

A part from fixing my driving style I thought about checking the following:
1. tune <<< will be done after new silicone intake piping & Apexi AFC Neo are installed
2. clutch <<< bit of slippage, currently sourcing an upgraded replacement & flywheel
3. spark plugs / gaping <<< will check whilst it's in the shop for the above
4. engine mounts

Thoughts?

(Constructive posts only please, flames not welcome!)

1. no need to tune the car if you're only replacing the factory turbo hoses, also not sure if the issue with the SAFC NEO's been fixed, so dig deeper before installing this
2. if its starting to slip, replace it, if and when you turn up your boost, you'll definitely feel it more
3. spark plugs, most mechanics will use the 1.1mm gap that the compliance recommends, but alot of us here have used .8mm gap and never had problems with it, actually was beneficial..
4. engine mounts - they do sag over the time, you'd be surprised that sometimes even 1 year old car needs to have their mounts replaced, it all comes down to the age and how the owner drives the car..

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Not normal at all.

My car pulls cleanly at 75klm/h in 5th let alone 4th.

ECfiveA

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mathew
Drive
97 Galant VR4
I have the same feeling in my car I thought it must be the way I drive being my first manual. My plugs are overdue and my clutch has different feeling everytime I drive the car, but thought that was my inexperience with manuals.

TomTom

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type S

The clutch is letting go already? Are you sure? Stephen replaced it a few months before he sold it...

Fix the driving style ;-)

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Should be smooth everywhere. I run BKR7EIX plugs at 0.8 gap and no problems up to 16.5 psi of boost, some run a smaller gap.... Would also clean the coilpacks, (you can do a search on here for that) as this is a known problem. After that I'd do a fault diagnosis on the ECU and see if it says anything.

How much boost is it running and it's a stock ECU without a flash?

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive

The clutch is letting go already? Are you sure? Stephen replaced it a few months before he sold it...

Fix the driving style ;-)

When I spoke to him about clutches he said he had an Evo unit in it briefly but had removed it due to issues with the bell housing clearance if i recall correctly...

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
Should be smooth everywhere. I run BKR7EIX plugs at 0.8 gap and no problems up to 16.5 psi of boost, some run a smaller gap.... Would also clean the coilpacks, (you can do a search on here for that) as this is a known problem. After that I'd do a fault diagnosis on the ECU and see if it says anything.

How much boost is it running and it's a stock ECU without a flash?

^ what Steve said, a basic ignition problem with the stocker and old parts.

Cool I'll check that out - thanks :)

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
Apexi - AFC Neo Issue?

I agree with Brad, mine has no hesitation anywhere in the rev range
Sounds like over/underfueling at that spot which would strange if its only at that one spot
Have you changed computers? If you have it needs a tune

Computer is stock to my knowledge, though did have plans to install an Apexi AFC Neo soon but will have to investigate some issues highlighted by other members before doing so.

1. no need to tune the car if you're only replacing the factory turbo hoses, also not sure if the issue with the SAFC NEO's been fixed, so dig deeper before installing this

Exhaust has also been done amongst other things - got any additional info on the SAFC Neo issue that you're referring to?
Hopefully it's this issue that has since been fixed - link 1: http://www.3si.org/forum/f1/apex-af...mming-bug-karman-function-doesnt-work-419786/
link 2: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/tun...reflash-30-correction-550s.html#post151544892

it's a stock ECU without a flash?

Correct for the moment I believe

TomTom

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type S
When I spoke to him about clutches he said he had an Evo unit in it briefly but had removed it due to issues with the bell housing clearance if i recall correctly...

Ok that explains the slipping clutch! Good luck with the new one then (if you can make a decision hehe)

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
Issues might be getting worse.
Had a little bit of lifter noise until now when the car was cold...
But now the VR4 is sounding more and more like a tractor when driving about, not cool

Will let you know once we get to the bottom of it - hopefully soon!

Top Bottom