RC Cars/Trucks/Buggies

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
Mazda JC Cosmo, Mazda FC3C RX7 Convertible
Need a charger for my Yokomo RC drift car. Links OzVR4?

Edit: Maybe Tamiya? The chinese onese that sell for $200 - $250.

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
What kind of batteries are they? I've bought an iMAX B6 charger for not much coin and it seems to be quite good.

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
A generic one? :p

Really not good at that sort of stuff TBH mate. Just got the generic sought of plastic clip connecting battery to charger/car.

Link to said iMAX B6? Or should I just go see a hobby shop tomorrow for drifting fun this w/e?

Johnny_k

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Johnny
Drive
97 COTY Legnum & 09 Astra
I have a caster fusion pro 6. Great charger, does everthing. Look around on the net. See whats available. Tower hobbys has a good range of everything for almost anything

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
Going to the local hobby shop this arvo, battery in hand. Think I'll just pick up a wall charger and spare battery :)

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
I was going to start a new thread but managed to find this one, so I'm bumping it.

I've had a few RC cars over time, but in the last few years I've had two HPI Firestorms (2WD stadium trucks) my first of which was a nitro and over a year ago I picked up a burshless electric one. I've clocked it doing 88km/h on my old narrow street in Melbourne. But I switched the gearing a little to suit offroad and so I could control the thing. The nitro one only ever went about 70km/h.

Here's a video of my truck at a BMX track:

[video=youtube_share;jyj4qaaLsTM]http://youtu.be/jyj4qaaLsTM[/video]

I'll have to bring it to the next Driven meet 'n' BBQ, as I have some road tyres for it too.

Frenche

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
1998 Legnum VR-4
1988 Mazda MX-6 Turbo
1986 Alfa Romeo GTV-6
Haha god this brings back memories. My brother and I used to race on-road stuff pretty competitvely, both electric and nitro but it's been about 10 years since I last raced, still have all the cars though. In electric I raced a HPI RS4 Pro2 (in the days before brushless), it has a Tem Orion 12turn motor, LRP v7.1 speed controller and Panasonic 3000mah Sub-C size batteries. My brother raced a Team Associated Factory Team TC3 with a Reedy 9turn motor, Novak TC2 speed controller and the same batteries. For nitro I raced in the 1/10th sclae pro touring class, I had an original Kyosho V-One R with a Rossi Black Pixie motor (1.8bhp out of .12 cubic inches (y), not too shabby) and a Hitec high torque metal geared steering servo that cost me an arm and a leg!

One of the best races was when the top electrics (my brothers class) and the top nitros (my class) was combined due to lack of entries. The electrics had the acceleration but we ate them alive down the straights. The down side was they had better brakes and handled better. The electrics started 3m behind us and were passed all of us nitros by the first corner! Over the next couple of laps it was a great strategic battle to try and get in front of the electrics on the main straight and block them through the corners, which didn't really work as after 3 laps my brother was still leading :angry:. I was in the middle of building up a Serpent 705 to take over from the V-One R and have a crack at the state titles but life got in the way.

We also dropped the suspension on my brothers 1/10th off road truck (HPI Nitro MT racer), fitted slick tyres, Novarossi race engine and a 2 speed transmission to take it circuit racing, it was fun but handled like a brick, on the upside it could just run over the competition :D

After a few years away from the hobby due to uni, I found out my club had switched to mainly off road racing so I got myself a Team Associated Factory Team RC10GT 2wd nitro stadium truck, was fun but I was too rusty to be competitive. I also decided to have a dabble at electric off road so got myself a BJ Concepts 1/10th 4wd buggy, basically just a Team Associated TC3 with long suspension arms and big wheels but again, life got in the way.

I wouldn't mind getting back into it but I have no doubt most/all of my "old" gear would no longer be competitive in any class, plus I don't think my club exists anymore :sad:.

Since I stopped racing cars I've moved on to planes (ducted fan jets) and helicopters (everything from micro size to 600 size), all electric for simpler operation, plus with lipo batteries and brushless motors they are way more powerfull than nitro stuff for far less hassle. In fact the reason I got the Legnum was to haul around the planes and helis in, in style lol.

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
Over Xmas I was a present down on the siblings so got the rents to buy a cheap re-entry level car.
ended up getting a HSP flying Fish. Few alloy bits, soarer body, lockable diffs,
for$125 delivered from eBay.
goes well for what it is, and after all its only a basher.

veegeeta

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
shane
Drive
fto with 6A13TT & bf xr6 turbo
Im into nitro cars have been since i was a little boy. Ive got a eb4 pro buggy, a hobao hyper st pro truggy & a all alloy savage monster truck with 3 speed. Truggy and buggy can do back flips higher than a house and land and drive off. Love it

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
IMG_0752.JPG

that is my 1/10 efirestorm flux that i ran with a 2s lipo much of its life. i moved it onto a 3 with some extra weight to keep the front down and solid foam wheels until i got bored with it and got this

wpid-20120826_143227.jpg

hpi vorza 1/8 scale, easily topping out over 100kph with a 48 tooth spur gear and 6s lipo setup

i bought it as a rolling shell for cheap and put in my own ESC, motor, reciever and steering servo. from memory its a 2400kv trackstar turnigy motor and the trackstar ESC

i also have a converted Tamiya BMW z3 TT01-E drift car with a nearly full alloy setup with a bunch of different motors, stock motor, TZ and RZ superstocks and an 18T which goes insane on a 3S lipo

HSP make good cars, my brother inlaw has had a nitro HSP and then a brushless one that does ok to keep up with my HPI Efirestorm. all parts interchangeable and tough. im basicaly done with the RC scene now and looking to sell up soon

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
I've got a Firestorm Flux as well, it goes alright on 3S. I've clocked it at 88kph.

I'll have to get a photo of it. There's a video of it in action on the previous page.

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
they are awesome, i was silly for selling mine. it was my reasoning to get the vorza though lol. which in my opinion is too heavy, the hotbodies VE8 which it is based on is a much lighter bit of kit. the RTR vorza is nearly industructable though. ive never had any breakages. just killing batteries because of the weight and speed of the thing

the efirestorm handles brilliantly, nice video.

i remember when my mate had his traxxas e-revo which was an absolute monster! but on the track simply couldn't keep up with the firestorm

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
i know this isnt a rc car.. but i did use one of my RC batteries in it.

12kg load spring, no restrictions, 3S lipo battery and custom darts. it leaves welts all over your foes body

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
OK I'm looking for some guidance.
My (about to be) 5yo son was watching the RC cars at the local track (Morphet Vale) and wants one! Now I have no idea what to buy him and dont want to spend many hundreds of $$, but was wondering if anyone can point me to an electric truck that isnt overly fast but still fun and doesnt cost the earth?

I was looking at ebay but f**k me there are too many to chose from lol

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
HSP is a budget brand, but parts seem to be relatively easy to get. It's going to be better/faster than what you get at Toys R Us. For a five year old it'll be fine.

Parts and trucks can be bought from here (the manual that comes with the truck will have all your part numbers in it):

http://rchobbies.com.au/store/index.php?cPath=34_750

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Cheers Taylor

Looking at their site you can buy the Monster Jam trucks! Pity they are $400 :( He would've loved one of them.

and i'm actually tempted to buy 2 - 1 each so I can play too :D

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
Also, check out hobby king.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/au.asp

Another budget brand, but they tend to have pretty good bang for your buck and they're quite popular the world over. So there's lots of support around. They also have an Australian warehouse (they had a shop in Adelaide too, but I think it shut down like last week).

I would in fact recommend anything on Hobby King over the HSP stuff.

Top Bottom