RDA slotted rotor slot direction

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
I have been fitting new brakes and following RDA directions I have put the rotors so the slots point backwards. Since fitting I have seen pictures of other cars with slots pointing forwards, so it got me wondering if I have it right.
After researching on the web I found a lot of stuff but nothing conclusive, some people say they should go forwards, some say backwards and most seem to think it does not matter.
So I decided to call RDA and ask them, well the girl I got to speak to knew jack and shit. I asked her the question and she did not know so she went to ask someone and they did not know either. So I established with her that the right side of the car is the drivers side and the left side is the passenger side and left it at that. If the rotors have any problem due to slot direction I can blame it on them at least.
Anyway after that rant, the question is, who has RDA slotted rotors and what direction are your slots?

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
Slots on mine go towards the rear of the car at the outside of the top of the rotor. But it is dictated by the ventilation fins inside the rotor I think.

G

Unregistered
all the ones i have fitted RDA, DBA etc have the slot angled \\\\\ that way on right side
and ///// on left side

different companies specs might be different

G

Unregistered
RDA recommended like below when I bought mine, looking from the passenger side:

Attachments

• rotor-slot.jpg
    rotor-slot.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 116

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
The easiest way i think is that the slots flow with the wheel direction not against it as per pic above

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
lol backwards all the time

anyway my slots are facing the same as all of yours

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
also in the box where the rotors came in.. it should have some indication if its the left or the right..

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
i too have looked into this and theres no definitive right or wrong answer. however usually they are directed backwards.

maybe it has something to do with caliper positioning. ie, calipers bolted behind the hub have them the other way. duno.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
also in the box where the rotors came in.. it should have some indication if its the left or the right..

Yeah it did say on the box what side they were for, which is facing backwards. The girl on the phone told me they could of been put in the wrong box but she does not know, so I told her Im gonna put them on exactly as the box says, that way if they are wrong its RDAs fault, not mine.

knickers

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nic
Drive
'99 EC5A VR-4 Type V
RDA recommended like below when I bought mine, looking from the passenger side:

This looks logical to me. Considering we spend most the time going forward, shouldnt the centrifugal force help push air/dust/liquid out of the disk. If it was sloping the other way then the same force would push anything stuck in the slot (thinking between pad and rotor?) back into the centre of the disc right?

At the very least I think that this would encourage a faster stream of air over the disk compared to if it went the other way.

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
Slots lean backwards. That way as they wipe the face of the pad, the gunk etc gets expelled to the outside edge of the disk.

Top Bottom