Regency!!!

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
G'day,
Some of you may have read or had a quick squiz at my thread in the Members' Rides section.
If not, FYI I'm in the process of importing a Legnum! Should be getting on a boat some time this or next week depending on shipping schedules.
Now the word I've had from the compliance workshop is that Regency here in SA are almost definitely going to want me to remove the aftermarket 17' Mahdi rims that are currently on the car (which the compliance workshop will put back on after they've done their bit) and replace them with the Legnum stocks.
Unless the shipping company are super-ignorant or super-generous, I can't imagine the stocks in the boot of my Legnum are going to make it here with the car.
This brings me to the dilemma at hand: Will have a Legnum, won't have stock rims to plonk it on while it (hopefully) slides smoothly through Regency. Just wondering what you blokes have done in the past to get over this hurdle!
Or if someone has a set of stocks that sits in their garage that I could borrow for the Regency ordeal :]

Thought I should tackle this early rather than waiting for the thing to get here and then not knowing what to do with it.

Thanks

G

Unregistered
the compliance workshop will/should have a spare set of rims. they did in my case, as i had stock wheels/exhaust/suspension in the boot of my car in japan...arrived in australia missing everything! :angry::angry::angry:

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
17s should be fine as the Evidence Package used for the compliance of Legnums has 17x7 with 215/45/17 tyres included. Unless your car has wider 17" wheels which may pose a problem, but as Nissy said, the compliance shop would/should have some laying around.

Who's doing the compliance?

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Ahh yeah they do. The compliance is getting done up in Brisbane at River City Compliance because the lads at J-Spec run through that regularly up there at a cheaper price (both for the compliance and for the shipping/transport, Brisbane is a cheaper destination).

Yes, the workshop have a set of rims they can swap onto the car for compliance but obviously they can't leave it on the car while it comes down here and I put it through Regency.

Sooo if the 17's are the same dimensions there shouldn't be an issue at Regency? I thought the car came stock with 16's?

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
The tyre placard fitted to your legnum will state both 16 & 17" wheels - you will pass your regency inspection with 17s just fine, as have many others have done (myself and Nissy included)

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
The tyre placard fitted to your legnum will state both 16 & 17" wheels - you will pass your regency inspection with 17s just fine, as have many others have done (myself and Nissy included)

Phew! The bloke at the compliance workshop seemed convinced on the phone that SA Regency would almost definitely make me track down some factory Legnum wheels to get it registered >.<. That sounds promising though.

Also the car has an aftermarket exhaust (I'm pretty sure just the box) fitted which is apparently around as quiet as stock especially at idle. Would Regency hit me up for a stock exhaust?

LEG_IT

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Sam
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S Black Manual
No they wont you just have to have a roadworthy car as it is / should be a vehicle inspection only, which is only really an id check. (if they register it up in qld)
Otherwise it should be fine, if you are worried give them a call they are very helpful, people are just SCARED to ask them. It will clear up any issues you might have.

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
Good point Sam, avoid hearsay and make a quick call!! That will give you the facts

If you are worried still, a couple of people around here have stock rims just in case they run into trouble

BTW Sam, time to update that photo i think ;) Thats Victors car now

LEG_IT

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Sam
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S Black Manual
Yeah i know but was mine first. i just have to get some good photos of mine, but i need to get some good weather to keep the black clean long enough, lol.

MasqUAP

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dave
Drive
'98 VFR 800 / '92 Ford Laser Turbo / '10 Kia Cerato S
Good point Sam, avoid hearsay and make a quick call!! That will give you the facts

If by that you mean call Regency, I'd be taking anything they told you with a grain of salt. What they tell you over the phone doesn't always match what the inspector will think is right (note I didn't say legal, as I've found none of them know all the rules and regulations). At the end of the day as long as the rims meet the normal guidelines for a modified vehicle in SA and the tyres are DoT approved (ie Australian) then you should be fine.

G

Unregistered
my care went thru regency ID inspection with exhaust and coilovers at their current height (ie: FKN LOW!) and didnt have a single issue.

i was in and out in 20mins.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
^^^ u should be buying a lotto ticket then. passing with coilovers is a rare occasion.

they requested a ecu check on my standard ecu. they were asses to me.

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
^^^ u should be buying a lotto ticket then. passing with coilovers is a rare occasion.

Yeah I'm just worried that I'll get some absolute jerk who's keen to make it difficult. I called Regency but it's pretty impossible to get a straight answer out of anyone about anything, because nobody follows an exact set of rules down there.

Also no it's not getting registered in QLD, only complied. Then the registration will take place in SA.

G

Unregistered

i have bought lotto tickets :p so far no luck though :lol:

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
if the car is relatively stock, u got nothing to worry about. i got my s13 through.. eventually. it would have been one of the most highly modded cars to pass thru regency i reckon lol. everything ive done to the car is pushing the legal boundaries.

all i really had to change to get it thru was change the aftermarket lights, make sure my brake light was re-attached, as it was part of the spoiler i removed, make sure the child restraints were back in the car, remove any obvious boost controllers, and put stock suspension in.

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Yeah the car is stock other than the Mahdi 17's and exhaust. Should be okay I hope, fingers crossed.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
if the exhaust is a bit loud, just put a restrictor plate between one of the flanges. i did that and passed my car which had a full 3" straight thru system with a high flow cat. they were probably scratching their heads wondering why it was so quiet haha.

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Hahah yeah I can imagine some bloke at Regency sitting there staring at the 3 inch piping for a while trying to work out what on earth was happening out the other end. I'll see how the car sounds when it gets here and go from there. Thanks for the help.

Top Bottom