BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
OK Surely i'm not the only one with this problem... and searching seems to fail me as it returns too many replies...

How do we get our Aus spec rego plates to fit a vr-4 without bending them????

Is there some form of spacer for the front rego plate?

what can i do about the rear plate?

Cheers,
Bill

EDIT: Found thread about raising front plates... no solution for the rear plate...

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Solution for the rear plate is to get some rubber washers from your hardware store and some longer bolts to go through the washers and plate.

Alternatively, get some of those rubber rings they put on the bottom of furniture to avoid scratching the floor.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
Im not sure if the thread you found mentions the Mitsubishi L300 van i think around 1990 model has a metal plate spacer which fits perfectly on the front and makes it sit flush.

As for the rear, regular plates seem to fit without bending for me? Unless a legnum has less room than a galant.

snitz

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Jason
Drive
Toyota Cressida,GK Scorpion,VP Calais..2000 Legnum type S and a Rota project in the shed.
Yeah I used a Lancer front number plate mount.It bolts straight up to the bumper and fit the number plate without bending it.There was a thread about it somewhere cause thats where I read up about it.I think the bracket was from a early Lancer GSR Hatchback.I'll post up a piccie later on tonight for you.

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
SA plates dont fit in the Galant boot garnish... they are slightly too long - same on the front. holes line up though.

Also someone's snapped one of the bolts off for the number plate on the back, so i've drilled it out cos it was rusted in there good and proper. Just need to re-tap the thread.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
yup thats the one ;) i think mine was about $1 or $2 too.

snitz

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Jason
Drive
Toyota Cressida,GK Scorpion,VP Calais..2000 Legnum type S and a Rota project in the shed.
Yep that L300 van front bracket is the same as the one I got off a early Lancer.I had to tap out the spot welded nuts that affix the number plate to the bracket to put some 8mm allen head socket screws on.

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
I used spacers on the rear of the Galant, and it looks ok'ish. I would much prefer the euro plate surround for more space though.

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
I used spacers on the rear of the Galant, and it looks ok'ish. I would much prefer the euro plate surround for more space though.

Thats what i was afraid of - that it would look out of place on the back. I'll give it a go and see.

Cheers to everyone else, i might try and head down to a wrecker this weekend to get the L300 brackets.

PeteGT

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
'99 Legnum - S Manual
Got a photo of steve's rear end (lol) from a wash meet, you can see how it sits.

IMG_8537.jpg

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
I have the cc plates, simply for the slimline front, and square rear which fits in the jap reat mounts.

Top Bottom