Can I have car rego'd in QLD when I have NSW license?

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Thinking about buying a car from QLD and want to keep its rego QLD, but I live in nsw and have a nsw license. I have plenty of friends in QLD who's address I could use. I think there is a way to do this but I'm not sure how, anyone has experience with this?

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Chris, yes. You can but the NSW police don't like it.

Best bet would be just get a blue slip on the car ( about 60 bucks ) then take that into the rta and transfer the rego. You get money back from QLD transport for the in used amount of rego.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Yeah I'm just sick of forking out money to the rta, already spent about 2k there a few weeks ago with the Elgrand and legnum. Your right as usual though, I'm just asking for trouble with QLD rego.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Sorry, slightly off topic.... Trev how come your car has NSW rego? or were we in NSW at your place? I have no idea....

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
Sorry, slightly off topic.... Trev how come your car has NSW rego? or were we in NSW at your place? I have no idea....

that steve, it's the blur between qld and nsw. its the twilight zone. bad things happen down there

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
Lol @ Paul

Yeah Steve, it is NSW rego'd. Tweed is right on the border. The border is actually just behind the airport I picked you up from!

Chris, I know your pain but you have to weigh up the cost v the risk. I looked into it a lot before I registered mine and it worked out cheaper in my circumstance to go NSW.

tony_gsr

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
tony
Drive
2000 Legnum
Chris it's not that easy any more I had my old car rego'd in qld and I live on the tweed. However when I tried to do it with the legnum in janurary they told me that the rules had changed in about November and you need proof of a qld address. They then handed me a form to try and change my license over if I had another address. At this point I got sick of it and transferred to NSW.
On another note if you do this you cannot claim the remaining rego as in the eyes of qld you never ownd the rego and the previous owner has to cancel it and give you the refund which is ok if you buy off someone resonable.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
Are you sure Tony? The lad who bought my old car received the balance of my cars rego when he handed the plates in over in WA.

tony_gsr

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
tony
Drive
2000 Legnum
Yeah I tried at a couple of different Queensland transports and they all said no you have to transfer the rego into my name first before they give me the refund which they then kept pointing out that i cant do. I then started to get annoyed and pointed out that when living on the tweed/gold coast a lot of people around here would be buying cars from across the boarder and would want to refund the rego. The lady then flat out said well you should think of that next time you buy a car. And the RTA wouldn't give me money they told me to take it to Queensland transport but they wouldn't let me keep the plates they gave me a disposal reciept.

Top Bottom