When turning car jerks and feels like i have welded diff?

Heatmakerz

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Michael
Drive
2000 galant vr4
I'm sure I have a non ayc galant when I turn sharp my car hops as if it's a 4wd? Anybody encountered this before? Thanks any info would help!

Heatmakerz

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Michael
Drive
2000 galant vr4
Does it have an lsd installed in the rear?
I honestly could not tell you. I have just bought the car and noticed when I would turn to like go in a parking stall it hops and jerks! Just doesn't seem right coming from driving a subaru! Haha is there a way I can tell? I did jack the back end off the ground and correct me if I'm wrong but if I spin one side the other should spin opposite way? Thanks for the reply!

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
I honestly could not tell you. I have just bought the car and noticed when I would turn to like go in a parking stall it hops and jerks! Just doesn't seem right coming from driving a subaru! Haha is there a way I can tell? I did jack the back end off the ground and correct me if I'm wrong but if I spin one side the other should spin opposite way? Thanks for the reply!
Take a picture of the rear diff from the back facing forwards.

Heatmakerz

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Michael
Drive
2000 galant vr4
Take a picture of the rear diff from the back facing forwards.
Is that good? Sorry it took me a bit. But don't mind the rust im from Calgary alberta! Haha I did notice the front stabilizer bar bushings are shot so I would assume that bar is moving back and fourth. it could be part of the issue as well. Thanks for any info much appreciated!

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
Is that good? Sorry it took me a bit. But don't mind the rust im from Calgary alberta! Haha I did notice the front stabilizer bar bushings are shot so I would assume that bar is moving back and fourth. it could be part of the issue as well. Thanks for any info much appreciated!

No photo but it wouldn't be helping.

Heatmakerz

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Michael
Drive
2000 galant vr4
Definitely not AYC, lucky you!

I believe that's open diff but I could be wrong.
I just bought the car not to long ago. I Just finished ordering timing belt kit and valve cover gaskets and what not. But yea I can't seem to figure out why it does that when I turn. I think I'm going to order fluids for the diffs and also the bushing and see if that helps or fixes issue! The person who had it before had put a updated cluster so it says AYC on it but I kept reading that my year or type would not have it. Good or bad thing?

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
I just bought the car not to long ago. I Just finished ordering timing belt kit and valve cover gaskets and what not. But yea I can't seem to figure out why it does that when I turn. I think I'm going to order fluids for the diffs and also the bushing and see if that helps or fixes issue! The person who had it before had put a updated cluster so it says AYC on it but I kept reading that my year or type would not have it. Good or bad thing?
Definitely a good thing. AYC is prone to failure due to neglect and age. You have options to go for evo centers now, plenty of options.

If you get the car the air with all 4 wheels off the ground you should be able to tell if you have a diff that isn't by the way the rear wheels spin.

Heatmakerz

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Michael
Drive
2000 galant vr4
Definitely a good thing. AYC is prone to failure due to neglect and age. You have options to go for evo centers now, plenty of options.

If you get the car the air with all 4 wheels off the ground you should be able to tell if you have a diff that isn't by the way the rear wheels spin.
Okay sweet thanks for the info! And I will do that sooner than later! So if I have them car up on jacks the wheels should spin opposite from each other? Or turn car on and see that way?

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
Okay sweet thanks for the info! And I will do that sooner than later! So if I have them car up on jacks the wheels should spin opposite from each other? Or turn car on and see that way?
Opposites would be open diff.

Heatmakerz

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Michael
Drive
2000 galant vr4
Okay sweet thank you. I will update once I've done that and replaced the bushings! I pray it's a simple fix! I remeber in my old subaru it did the same thing and I had to replace the center diff!

blinkerfluid

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Abe
Drive
96 Legnum VR4
Okay sweet thank you. I will update once I've done that and replaced the bushings! I pray it's a simple fix! I remeber in my old subaru it did the same thing and I had to replace the center diff!

You don’t need all four up. Just chalk the front wheels, lift both rear wheels, put car in neutral, parking brake off. Spin one wheel, if the other stays put or turns opposite, you have either an open diff or a helical/torsen/quaife rear diff. If both wheels turn the same way, you have a LSD of some sort.

Heatmakerz

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Michael
Drive
2000 galant vr4
Okay sweet thank you for the information. I appreciate it! I haven't had time to do anything right now the weather has been crappy here! But once I do I will update!

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
If all seems right with the rear do the same with the front axle. It could have smoked the front diff which does tend to be ok in a straight line then bind and carry on the more steering lock you apply.

Heatmakerz

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Michael
Drive
2000 galant vr4
Okay I will try that the weather has still be crap here so haven't had a chance to chance to check but I will update when I do! And by smoked you mean the pervious owner smok3d somthing?
If all seems right with the rear do the same with the front axle. It could have smoked the front diff which does tend to be ok in a straight line then bind and carry on the more steering lock you apply.

Top Bottom