Remote engine start? Yes or No

G

Unregistered
Is there much point in installing a remote engine start with a built in turbo timer?
in two minds whether or not to get one.
there's a guy in vic who is asking for round $350 installed with a 12 month warranty.
what do you guys reckon?

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
That seems a fair price inc a TT. A few members on here have remote start, have a search and you will find some info.

G

Unregistered
yer cool.. its def on my to do mod list..
are there any brands that are better than others, that i should be looking out for?
or do they all do the same thing regardless.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Nay. Dangerous (especially on manual) and illegal.
Save your money and spend it on a useful mod or put it towards a better security system for your car.

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Nay, Peter_D is right

but a turbo timer isn't a bad idea IMO

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
dont do it allot of insurance company's wont cover you if you have it, means someone can nick it while its running and your not there, make sure if you want it you check with them first.

plus as people have said dangerous on a manual auto not an issue

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
I was looking into alarms and the top of the line mongoose M80G has a built in turbo timer, just get that and dont even worry about the remote engine start. When are you going to want to start it when your not sitting in it? Anyway, Im pretty sure they shut off after a while if you dont have the key in it.

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
Yes vote here, i have it on the V35 (the only mod it has) and its fantastic. Can get the car running a couple of minutes before im ready to go in the morning so its nice and warm and ready to roll.

The one i have keeps the doors locked until you unlock with the key and you have to put the key in the ignition and turn it before you can put it in gear, otherwise it stalls. I think a decent kit would sense the car is in gear in the case of a manual and refuse to start

And yes it is illegal, make sure mr plod isnt next to the car when you start it ;)

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
No from me for turbo timer.... They are an unnecessary accessory ;)

Remote start is cool. I would have it if I wasn't a smoker. I just have a durry while I wait till shes warm enough to cruise off in

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Turbo timer, no point. Just slow down 2 mins from your destination.

Remote start, Yes! Great for winter mornings, especially with the auto as it gives the fluid time to come up to temp.

If its a manual, just make sure your installer puts in some limit switches on your gear stick to stop it starting if its in gear. Easy as!

CLuTZ

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andre
Drive
C73A Lancer GSR, G6E Turbo MK2
No from me for turbo timer.... They are an unnecessary accessory ;)

+1. Who thrashes their car just before they shut it down anyway?

Turbo Timers are also a direct path straight to your ignition wires. Ignition wires + no keys = stolen

GSRSOL

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
CD5A/CE9A Hybird
Nay. Dangerous (especially on manual) and illegal.
Save your money and spend it on a useful mod or put it towards a better security system for your car.

Not really, The Viper system I have has a built in sensor which will not remote start the car if it is left in any gear, or if the handbrake is not engaged. The palce I got it installed at wouldnt install my system without this additional sensor.....

The only issue with mine now is that with my current setup, and having no ISC, my cold start is shakey at the best of times, so it does really work very well. It is great on cold mornings however, as I can start the car from inside and let it warm up while I get ready, so its ready to boot when I get outside (y)

I agree with the turbo timer points however, they are pretty pointless, as CLuTZ mentioned, who thrashes their car before turning it off? The Viper system I have also has the inbuilt turbo timer, although to activate it you have to press 2 buttons on the remote together for 3 seconds before removing the keys from the ignition, so I hardly ever use it ....

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
It came with my car and i thought it was a waste, but now, best thing ever.

Warms up the car before driving and if you crank the heater/aircon before you get out, it will take care of the hot days and cold mornings for you.

I use mine everyday.

JediRuss

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Russ
Drive
'98 Legnum
'98 Toyota MR2 Turbo
I have been considering one of these for a while.

I definitely like the idea of starting the car while I'm inside the house on a cold morning. Then organising a coffee etc before heading out to the car and turning the heat straight on.

A big plus though in my opinion is the extra engine and turbo warm up time that they give.

Are there stand alone kits available?

G

Unregistered
personally i just reckon its cool..
walking to your car then pressing a button and the engine starts.. especially if uv got an exhaust..
also you can just get in and rip it.. no waiting till she warms up..

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
its good for wank factor too. had the viper alarm in my old gli lancer which was a manual - just needs a neutral selector switch on your gear stick - but a warning - the selector switch i had would move out of adjustment every few months.. basically its touchy and a couple hard gear changes and its out again. REAL pain in the ass. but other than that, loved it. If i were to get it again, which is on my big list of wants, i would look into another option rather than the selector switch...

the car shuts down if you press ANY pedals (accelerator alone is an exception lol) or move the gear stick while the keys are not in the car. the idea is that it is for as people have said ... warming the car up or wank factor.

G

Unregistered
hmmm... i think ill push it down the list on my mods to do then..
rather CAI.. gettin that 2mw instead..
thanks for the replies.. sorted that dilemma out for me..

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
I have remote start, but I don't use it anymore. Yes it kept the doors locked too.

I prefer to start it up & flick it to neutral (it's an auto) & warm it up.

You can cold drive it & keep it under 2000rpm so turbos don't kick in as well till it's warm.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
I wouldn't mind one, in the mornings I baby the car till it's warm anyway.. But having it would be handy for the morning rush to work!

I have a turbo timer built in to my alarm (1 min), and just to test what would happen if some smartass tried jumping in to my car while the turbo timer was going.. I tried to drive, I got about a metre before the car switched itself off, locked the steering and came to a quick halt LOL.. It stalled itself!

Top Bottom