Remote engine start? Yes or No

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
It is quite gay. The gayest thing about it is having to listen to people who have remote start trying to justify why they have it. The best I've heard is "It allows you to warm it up in the morning before you get dressed". Whatever. You got it so you could look fancy in front of girls and it didn't work.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
When you have a car like mine Tim & you head out to the OzVR4 meets, it's all there is to show off with compared with everyone else's mods !

It's best to do it with the bonnet up though, much louder !

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
It is quite gay. The gayest thing about it is having to listen to people who have remote start trying to justify why they have it. The best I've heard is "It allows you to warm it up in the morning before you get dressed". Whatever. You got it so you could look fancy in front of girls and it didn't work.

Oh snap

Donkay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Don
Drive
Mitsubishi RVR
Alot of people here have alot of ideas about the remote starting system

I own it myself in the Legnum too (and previous cars), but I don't use it anymore, why? don't really need it, it's only advantage is for cold mornings (not to thrash it straight away) but more of heater useage I'd say..

Otherwise it's just wank factor

Again, people would say the exact same thing for the Turbo timer itself 'who would thrash then park'

I know I don't thrash then park that much myself, but there ARE those days that I do, and I reckon the Turbo Timer is actually quite good, YES it's true you can drive slowly and park it, it's fine, otherwise there's no harm in having this nor the remote start

Though knowing my car boosts at 1psi quite easily and often, I'm covering my arse with a turbo timer anyway..

Now, let's talk of Brands...

The Viper Alarm and or Remote start is pretty cool, and has alot of wank factor stuff to it which you can add on, but the immobiliser is actually quite quite good, it's very difficult to use (if there's remote start) but you'd get the hang of it, and you can have added voice recognition and all that other rad stuff.

The Mongoose on the other hand, pretty much only offers alarm and immobiliser (and turbo timer built in for the highest range which is M80G) and it's actually quite good as well, though the remote signal ISN'T as great as the Viper it still does the job quite well. Also for the Insurance concerned group for Theft reasons... Mongoose is the ONLY alarm IN AUSTRALIA that meets immobilising standards, so if you have anything else, Insurance companies here actually think twice about your vehicle (well, premium drops or so so)

Now, if you've taken the aftermarket Remote start install, these are actually quite easy to 'hot wire' so think twice about these units:p even if you've got a separate alarm/immobiliser system, it pretty much does stuff all. Also again, make sure they have a Neutral sensor, otherwise..your car will hop down the road like mine did....(previous car, luckily didn't hit anything)

I'm tired, ciao

Skurfer

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris
Drive
EZTONV
I have it on my car and use it all the time. It is built into the alarm as well as a multitude of other features so i did not get it just for the remote start. Just went out and bought the best alarm that i could afford at the time.

At the time i got it, I didnt think that I would use it all that much, but i found that i use it most of the time. Just start it about 30 seconds before i get to the car just to give it a little warm up time. Best that i can do for it as it gets thrashed from cold when turning out to a firecall in the dead of night. Poor car. Blows a lot of black smoke when doing that. Cant be good for it but oh well...

I have the gear selector switch on mine as well. I have seen the aftermath of a manual car that did not have one. Lets just say that it was a delicate operation to remove the guys kid from between the car and the wall. Lucky he was alright.

As far as just getting remote start for the sake of it, i wouldnt bother with it. But a really good alarm should be the first mod to get. Lots of these cars getting stolen lately.

G

Unregistered
yea, remote start would be great for warming up without having to wait, plus it looks cool when u show ur friends! like KITT :)

G

Unregistered
The girl across the road that would rev the nut off her turbo Exa to warm it up until one morning it finally exploded could have done with a remote start.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
The girl across the road that would rev the nut off her turbo Exa to warm it up until one morning it finally exploded could have done with a remote start.

Hhaha... maybe it committed suicide to put itself out of its misery !

IntenseVR4

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Stuart
Drive
99 Galant MT
I had remote start and turbo timer as part of my alarm system on my last car. Couldnt start in while in gear because the process of exiting the car went like this:

Turn key to off, turbo timer keeps the car going,
exit, close door and press lock/arm.

That way it knows the car isnt in gear because it was running with doors closed and alarm armed.

If you turn the car off before getting out, or revisit the car without starting it etc. then the remote start would be disabled untill you met the first criteria again.

I found the remote start useful in that car because i would prefer to warm it up for a couple of mins purely because it was an older design engine rebuilt with forged pistons and other work.
I used the turbo timer for the same reason, older design ect. Could control the TT by the remote or ignition so i could choose what i wanted it to do.

As for having TT and RS on the VR4, i dont really see the point, it warms up twice as fast as my last car, has a much newer design engine and runs thinner oil. Takes me a minute or two to open garage and gates in the morning anyway, I still take it easy at first though.

Also, i wouldnt get in and thrash just because your temp gauge is up to half. Mine shows half on the gauge when its about 45-50 degrees coolant temp. It normally runs from 70-95 after driving for a while.

IntenseVR4

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Stuart
Drive
99 Galant MT
Forgot to say, if you open a door or whatever while the car is running from RS or TT, the engine shuts off, immobilises and sets the alarm off.

yoshimitsu9

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
stefan
Drive
ae86 sprinter
my opinion is that remote start would be a fantastic thing to have. owning an ae86 i ALWAYS warm it up for 10 or so minutes before driving it because its an old car and the heater is only warm when its been running for ages (damn you over efficient radiator!).

so when its 5 degrees outside, id very much rather the option of being able to start up and warm up the car from with my house so i dont have to freeze me ass off by going out to turn it on

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
I don't really need remote start so it'd just be wank factor really. I just drive the car sedately for a little bit until it's warmed up. And the heater in the Legnum works pretty quickly anyways.

G

Unregistered
Not sure if I answered this but I have one.
Cant live without the remote start.
My pantera alarm comes with remote start, it keeps car locked and will shut down if any warnings or intrusions are made.
Has built in turbo timer and also allows for auto window up feature and a inside car temp reading.
Has a 600m pager with vibrate feature.
Great alarm all $190US plus install.

Top Bottom