Rental Aurion

VR-4-PLAY

Crunching Gears
First Name
Dave
Drive
'02 Legnum Type V
the Aurion is probably putting more power down to the ground as it would have less drivetrain losses?

G

Unregistered
I can't quite see how these can be quicker than a Legnum in stock form. A VR-4 is 206kw and 363nm and obviously has the advantage of 4wd grip. They are both about the same weight, Mitsi rate a manual VR-4 at 1550kg, but that is without any fluids, so it is more like 1600kg. Not sure how the Aurion is weighed though.

The big difference however will be the power bands, the VR-4 makes more than 340nm (more than the Aurion at any rpm) from 2250rpm to 6000rpm. Where the Aurion might be a bit better is right up high, it's 200kw is made at 6200rpm so it sounds like it will pull fairly hard to at least 6500rpm, what is the redline on one of these?

If 2-5th gears are all really close so you don't get the disadvantage of losing a whole heap of revs and falling off the power curve compared to the wide range of turbo torque in the VR-4, AND it revs to 7000rpm then I could see how it could be similar in speed to a VR-4 in a flat out drag race.

But in daily driving the huge mid range torque of a VR-4 and it's 4wd would make it a much more capable car on the road in normal driving conditions, around corners and especially in the wet.

its a 3.5L with variable inlet and exhaust cam, it has a lot broader powerband than a legnum. (which is from about 3000rpm to 5500rpm)

trust me, it's quicker, we tried more than once, and more than one legnum too.

G

Unregistered
The only time i noticed the Aurion was lacking in power was when you come outta a corner and your going to fast to change back to first so stays in 2nd, just struggles a little there

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
its a 3.5L with variable inlet and exhaust cam, it has a lot broader powerband than a legnum. (which is from about 3000rpm to 5500rpm)

trust me, it's quicker, we tried more than once, and more than one legnum too.

The VR4's power band is the same, if not greater. I know they're close in a stock vs. stock scenario, but what I can't understand is how it beat yours which a lot faster than stock? The Aurion I drove felt very similar to how my VR4 feels (in terms of accelleration) as mine's basically stock (cat back exhaust).

The other things you need to consider is not just whether they're faster or not, but the fact that how much do Aurions cost (I'm finding $22k+ 2nd hand) vs similar, if not slightly better, performance from the VR4 (which can be up to $10k less) and how easy it is to get more power from them. VR4's are as easy as exhaust, I/C and boost control. N/A is almost always more expensive to get the same results.

G

Unregistered
Bet you didnt have the torque management disengaged on the one your drove either, makes a big difference to the car.

We arent comparing modded vs stock. We are just saying that for a stock car and specially a Toyota they are damn quick. And proved numerous times that it can beat a slighly modded VR-4

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I'd make it 2250 to 6000rpm :)

The other thing as well is that simply upping the boost can turn a VR-4 into a car with 240kw at 5700rpm and 470nm at 4500rpm. You can't do any $40 mods on an N/A car and get that

Attachments

• galant_perf05.gif
    galant_perf05.gif
    5.1 KB · Views: 34

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
I can say that the Aurion runs rings around equivelant commonwhores and foulcoons as i have driven all of them....

I guess you guys have proved it is quicker than a stock VR4 but i didn't get the impression it would be when i drove them.... I guess it just fells more refined in the way it accelerates :bigsmile:

Quite impressive vehicle

G

Unregistered
my vr-4 isnt stock, 13psi, 3" catback, done a 13.7 1/4 mile.

either way, you can argue all you like, we have gone and PROVEN that it's quicker.. the sooner you accept that, you better you will be. :)

G

Unregistered
I'd make it 2250 to 6000rpm :)

The other thing as well is that simply upping the boost can turn a VR-4 into a car with 240kw at 5700rpm and 470nm at 4500rpm. You can't do any $40 mods on an N/A car and get that

Again thats a modded one, we werent saying anything about modding them. Just so happens that mitchys has mods and the aurion still caught up and over took him

G

Unregistered
This can be proven is someone wants to come to the Antilag cruise tonite and ill go hire a damn Aurion ! ! !

G

Unregistered
we'll have to get a video next time rhys.. both cars from stand still.. and watch an aurion outrun a leggy...

obviously the VR-4 is the best car in the world, and can't be beaten by anything. :p

G

Unregistered
I think the most overlooked fact here is that Rhys was driving the car .. and he is awesome :D

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
*laughs* if it's quicker it's quicker... raw results can't be beat.

(gives Loki a reassuring pat on the bonnet and scratch behind the ears/side mirrors in the driveway)

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
We arent comparing modded vs stock.... We are just saying that for a stock car and specially a Toyota they are damn quick. And proved numerous times that it can beat a slighly modded VR-4

lol you just did compare modded vs stock :p (Just a stir).

I'm not arguing that it's NOT faster, I'm just saying I find it strange that it beat Mitchy's that's all...and Mitchy, we don't think the VR4s are the fastest and best cars ever, we're not idiots.

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Seen one on the way to work a few times. He was quick to shut me out of a merging lane and i could do fark all about it.

No idea how people have said on here that they beat 297 and 317kw Holdens with only a bit of boost.

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
i like the aurion for a standard road car, we use the for work and its good for a standard car, but the power doesnt get to the road they just spin the wheels.

still for a factory car they still go hard, ive hit over 200km's /hr in one and it wasnt bad.

doesnt grip like the leggy does thou nothing like the handling in the leggy with tein etc.

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
we had an aurion rental the other week, it felt quick as we launched out of tolls etc but not that quick - but cant argue with the above experiences I guess.

I didnt like the spaceship controls-like dash/centre console

G

Unregistered
Think i need to teach ppl how to diengage the traction control and torque management

Top Bottom