Replacement / upgrade for our Turbo Actuator

G

Unregistered
Just wanting to know if there are any options for upgrading the stock turbo Actualtors as I'm sure they might be one of the reasons we can't hold higher boost very well.

If we can get a direct replacement with a firmer spring would be good......

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
You won't get anything off the shelf. You might be able to pull out the current springs and get some ones made up though.

G

Unregistered
You won't get anything off the shelf. You might be able to pull out the current springs and get some ones made up though.
Sounds good idea just replacing the springs but I thought the actualtors are a sealed unit?

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
I have no idea what this means :(

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
I have no idea what this means :(

Your actuators open and close the wastegates. They are controlled by the amount of boost your car is running, hence using a bleed valve on the vac line that opens them :)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I guess they might be sealed, but some auto transmissions are 'sealed' and you can still get into them :)

G

Unregistered
HAHA yea who will be the first to try it then.
Maybe we need some second hand turbo's to play with.
Got any in the shed to sell brad?

Here is a example Tom of just a actuator, if you look at the back of the turbo's you will see them.
grb-actuator.jpg

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
I thought that the way boost controllers worked was by reducing the amount of boost that goes to the actuator and tricking it into staying closed?

If that's true, increasing the boost shouldn't cause them to leak should it as the EBC/value would be bleeding off any excess pressure?

If they were stuffed they'd leak boost at low stock levels wouldn't they?

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Correct Lee....

I posted this over in the other thread where this all spawned from. I'll post it in here as a bit of a FYI -

Emanuel, if you have a boost gauge, plumb it in on the wastegate side of the MBC and see what it reads. That'll let you know if your boost controller is doing its job. If it goes up and down I would be checking your MBC. :)

G

Unregistered
So what's the benefit of upgraded actuators over installing an EBC?

merlin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
Evolution IX
Check with Mark BOXEL at GT_PUMPS for hi-rate actuators.

Using an actuator with say 12 psi opening pressure v 8 psi give the EBC an easier job of controlling the boost at say 15psi.
Or, you could just run with the new actuator sans controller.

smohekey

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott Mohekey
Drive
Legnum
I would have thought that the faster the waste gate is able to open, the more control the ebc would have over it. Being that it could have shorter pulses, therefore changing boost levels faster?

G

Unregistered
wow they are not cheap, yea from doing a search there seems to be a lot of actuator upgrades but non listed for our cars as usuall.

I have managed to get boost to hold a lot better at around 12psi and hold the whole time not drop back to 8/9 no matter what the boost spike is.

Basically setup the boost controller differntly which I think I'll make a new thread when I get some time. But if I try and turn it up much more Its still not holding up higher PSI

Basically I disconected the rubber line from both actuators and blocked off the other end where it would have gone, and run new lines from both actuators up to a "T" conector then to the MBC then to the one we normally connect it to with the red bit on the hose.
This one really will need a few pics to explain peoperly as I told a mechanic freind about the boost not holding, he took one look at how we are all seting up the boost controllers and she he didbn't like that setup.

This new setup holds boost way better!

VR4 WRC

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum VR4
Have you had a close look at the actuator's? Mine have some threaded rod at the end near the wastegate flapper. I am guessing they can be tightened up pulling harder on the flapper valve so it need's more pressure to open the valve byassing the exhaust.

Scott

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
ok, i'll be the sour puss then....so your currentl peak at 12 and it drifts back to 8?
I gather you are running a bleed valve then?

Are you running any kind of interceptor?

12 psi is pretty much the limit of flow of the compressor. Sure you can run more and no doubt the guys that do will jump on here and say how awesome there's is at 14psi... The reality is if you're still running the factory ecu you are wasting your time. if you're not getting a MINIMUM of 10hp per psi then its already all over and you're working your turbos hard for no gain.

Yes, It really is THAT simple. Why is it, i always seem to be the prick on here??? Come on Brad, i had hoped you'd have said something on this??
This is almost gusting the larger throttle body argument.

I see now this is an old thread. Im going to leave what i've written for educations sake.

Top Bottom