Replacing turbos :)

GeoVR4

Idling at the Lights
First Name
David
Drive
Galant VR4
hello there, i am going to replace turbos on my galant vr4, and i thought that GTO(3000GT) has bigger ones, and how do you think, does GTO turbos fit on 6A13TT engine fluently? my galant runs on 1 bar and drives very well, with the rolling start, or street start, from 10km till 100km/h it goes in 5,4 sec, and now i want to make stronger my "wolf" :) please tell me if you have experiance in doing this, replace "stock" turbos with turbos of GTO(3000GT) As i know GTO has a big ones than VR4. And i want to aks one more thing, when i drive on 1 bar, my galant feels well as i tink and if i install fuel pressure regulator and rise the pressure of fuel, will it be better? and also i dont know at which pressure should i drive?..... thank you very much ;)

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Why don't you look into Hi flowing your stock turbo's? I know hi flowing a turbo can cost between $800 - $1000 for a single turbo but the up side is that you will have your original bolt on turbo flowing much more than a stock one.

Look into it it might be a cheaper alternative to engineering 2 new turbo's on your engine.

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
Why don't you look into Hi flowing your stock turbo's? I know hi flowing a turbo can cost between $800 - $1000 for a single turbo but the up side is that you will have your original bolt on turbo flowing much more than a stock one.

Look into it it might be a cheaper alternative to engineering 2 new turbo's on your engine.

I think it has been done before and not a lot of improvement was gained from it.

Better of forking out more for something different.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
I don't think u will find a lot of people on here that have actually fitted Bigger turbos, the main reason being is the serious lack of space to work with. The turbos off the gto are indeed bigger and can flow more hp, but if you are gonna go to the trouble of fitting them, which I think will involve modifications to many things like intercooler pipes, dump pipes, oil and water lines and not to mention a lot of hours in labour, you are better off going for something bigger like the TD04-13 which can flow a lot more hp.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
I have a pair of 3000GT exhaust wheels and shafts if anyone is interested, they've been high flowed as well ;-)

G

Unregistered
Pretty sure that the flange is completely different, you might be able to hybrid them. The GTO turbos aren't exactly large anyway. People swap them out at around 250-270kwatw on the GTOs.

You might as well look into adapter plates and a generic larger turbo like a KKR, or even the common td04-l from a wrx.

GeoVR4

Idling at the Lights
First Name
David
Drive
Galant VR4
gobbo, td04-l from a wrx, what do you mean? single turbo? how can i do it?

G

Unregistered
Yeah I meant get some adapter plates made up and put some decent sized twins on there. There's no point in going for such a small single, and there's no point in upgrading to something as small as twin GTO turbos. If you're going to spend the money do it properly.

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
So what do you reckon about going single turbo? Obliviously you can get a nice big turbo in there with a bit of work like Mante has, but personally i like the feel of keeping the VR4 twin turbo, that's how they came and i feel should stay, but just with larger ones!

Madhav has managed to do a twin upgrade to KKR280's with nice results, and there have been lots of talk about upgrading to TD04's with upgrades done in the UK

So I've been looking into the GT2554R's how they compare to the two mentioned above, i'm not entirely sure yet but they sound like another good option and have noticed people mention them around a bit, and in the end of the day if i'm going to go ahead with this conversion i'm obviously want to go with the best option possible.

So, not sure on how they will fit size wise, no doubt the firewall will need a beating at the back but with mods to the radiator etc you can get a fair bit of room there. I'm no mechanic but from what i have learned about turbos lately there would be no way to move the rear one to somewhere with a bit more space (if you could find any) due to the way it use's exhaust...?? correct...

Some specs I'll add as i can find out... trying to find some height x width x depth figures to get an understanding of what we working with size wise... if you can help it is appreciated

Stock TD03

Horsepower - ???hp

Garret GT2445R

Horsepower: 290hp Max

TD04-13G - ? Common WRX Turbo (
from what i can find out)

Horsepower 240hp Max

KKR280

Horsepower 280hp Max

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
Gt25's would definitely fit, they are physically smaller than the kkr's which means you may be even lucky enough to be able to keep your oil filter in it's current place. The rear firewall will need less of a beating also.

Someone has gotto do it, everyones been talking about it for ages!! I thought Adam was doing it? Haven't heard from him in ages?

Factory turbos are good for max 170-190hp? Right?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Yeah my stock turbos are completely maxed out, I'd say 180hp each is realistically what their max is.

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Im going to C&D Motorworks in Melbourne today to get a price on fitting 2 Garret GT 25's to my legnum.
I'll post the price up latter tonight.

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
Sounds good, from what i've been looking into they seem like a good option. With new turbo's you will need to get custom dumps correct? so if i was to go for RPW dumps but later do a turbo upgrade, the rpw ones would be no good?

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Yeah not good, the guys in this work shop didn't seem to interested in doing this job so I left. I've spoken to another workshop and they sound very enthusiastic so when I get the chance to go show em the car i'll let you know how it all went.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
Sounds good, from what i've been looking into they seem like a good option. With new turbo's you will need to get custom dumps correct? so if i was to go for RPW dumps but later do a turbo upgrade, the rpw ones would be no good?

Correct, but u could probably sell them on anyway.

Top Bottom