Replacing turbos :)

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
Yeah not good, the guys in this work shop didn't seem to interested in doing this job so I left. I've spoken to another workshop and they sound very enthusiastic so when I get the chance to go show em the car i'll let you know how it all went.

Lol!! Brings back memories... Good luck

G

Unregistered
I'd think that going a single would be a good option if you're thinking of upgrading to something with a custom manifold. That way you only have to pay for one turbo and you can put it somewhere more accessible. You're going to need new manifolds, oil/water lines, exhaust, etc anyway so you might as well do it properly! Especially given that there isn't that much room for larger turbos.

Also I thought that the TD04l from a wrx was a 13T the 13G being off of mitsubishi cars like the GSR or US DSM cars.

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
I'd think that going a single would be a good option if you're thinking of upgrading to something with a custom manifold. That way you only have to pay for one turbo and you can put it somewhere more accessible. You're going to need new manifolds, oil/water lines, exhaust, etc anyway so you might as well do it properly! Especially given that there isn't that much room for larger turbos.

Also I thought that the TD04l from a wrx was a 13T the 13G being off of mitsubishi cars like the GSR or US DSM cars.

Yea a single turbo possibly would be easier but as i said i still like the feeling of keeping it twin, otherwise, just go for a evo motor:p From what i read, some had the 13g and others 13t, but also some people thought they had the 13T and found a 13G in there, or the other way round don't know exactly but that's what i read...

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Bryan the RPW front pipes would be able to be used with new turbos, as you'd only need to replace the dump pipes (and possibly manifolds) not the front pipes. There's a short section of steel pipe between the bottom of the turbos and the lower front pipes - these are the dump pipes. The RPW pipes are front pipes. And yes you will be able to get dumps made up which can mate up to the RPW front pipes.

Clear as mud?

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
Fair enough, got that :) Urgh all this is starting to hurt my head haha, maybe i should just buy a race import... for the same price haha

GeoVR4

Idling at the Lights
First Name
David
Drive
Galant VR4
can stock turbos work at 1.2 bar? of course if i make ecu to count 1.2 bar

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I'm running about that much but I have a full replacement ecu that can handle whatever boost level I want.

GeoVR4

Idling at the Lights
First Name
David
Drive
Galant VR4
from your post i understand that if i do ecu edit or something, i can run on 1,2 bar on stock turbos? :) when i run on 1 bar, standart ecu works great, and on 1,1 i dont think that it is gives me effect, i think if i make the ecu edit or replace ecu, on 1,2 bar it will have amazing efect, dont you think?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
You will get more power yes. It won't be a massive amount though because by that stage the turbos will be out of their efficiency range.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Think of it more like a synergistic effect - between the improvements you've made upgrading your intake, exhaust, fuel delivery with injectors, control with the ECU replacement and increase in boost you'll have fantastic gains overall. But no, if you only make some adjustments with the ECU to allow slightly higher boost from the stock turbos, the gains will be marginal at best. As has already been said, this is a complex issue and there's no cheap 'magic pill' solution - if you want substantial power gains you need to make substantial overall changes. You can't just chuck on a $400 boost controller with a remapped ECU and expect to double your engine power. You'll get benefits, yes, but they won't be earth shattering.

G

Unregistered
Sorry to drag this up, but whats the diff between the wrx Td04L and the CE lancer GSR TD04L?
reason im asking is i have a fully rebuilt GSR one and if its worth it Buy another and upgrade the turbos

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
flange pattern as far as im aware, but im sure someone can comment on rear exhasut housings and bearings (probs different exhasut housings as one is 2.0Land one is 1.8L

Top Bottom