Rotary Audi ?

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Thought this may interest a few people on here;

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/49...ut-this-week-at-geneva-rotary-engine-featured

It's only a concept true, but this little snippet got my attention;

"When the electric motor's battery energy is depleted, a 70kg range-extending single-rotor 254cc Wankel engine and an electric generator work to recharge the battery, boosting the A1 e-tron's driving range by an additional 200km.

Fred

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Fred
Drive
1998 Legnum VR-4 & 1999 Legnum VR-4 w. Recaros
A Little bit of Audi history here for anyone interested. The four rings of audi represent the four companys that combined to form Audi, being: Horch,NSU,Wanderer & DKW.
NSU was the first company in the world to incorporate a rotary engine in a road going vehicle. (i also think they designed the rotary before felix wankel?)

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Never knew that Fred thanks for the info.

I knew about NSU & them trying to market rotary-powered cars, but didn't have much success?
The fuel crisis of the 70s didn't help either.

I remember AMC were going to go rotary, & the DeLorean was originally meant to have a Citroen-sourced wankel engine too.

I thought Wankel designed it but NSU were the first to market it? I don't know of different rotary designs sorry...

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
Correct Brad, Felix Wankel designed and built the first Rotaary, NSU were the first company to place them in road-going cars.

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
The NSU motors were peripheral ported and horrendously unreliable - NSU Ro80 owners used to wave to each other by holding up their fingers to indicate the number of engine rebuilds they'd had...

It's a pity because aside from the reliability issues, Ro80s were about 20 years ahead of their time. Most owners these days fit Mazda engines, it's very rare to see an original NSU motor.

Back to the topic at hand, wow, talk about history repeating itself!

G

Unregistered
geez that just might be the most fuel efficent rotary ever lol:p

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
" Citroen-sourced wankel "

Ohh now that just sounds like a giant calamity of catastrophic proportions!

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
Citroen actually made 50 of them and gave them out to people to use for a few months for testing purposes. They used NSU motors, were called the GS Birotor from memory.

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
PMSL - just got this off Wiki:

A two rotor GS was launched in 1973. Dubbed the Citroën GS Birotor (also called Citroën GZ), it featured a 107 PS (79 kW) Wankel birotor produced by the joint NSU-Citroën Comotor project. This style of motor is noted for its smooth power delivery which complemented the luxurious ride quality of the hydropneumatic suspension. The Birotor was extensively reengineered, besides for the Comotor 624 engine. Discs all around (ventilated in front), different wheels with a five-bolt pattern rather than three, and a three-speed semi-automatic transmission were combined with a more luxurious interior and flared fenders to set the Birotor apart from its lesser siblings. Sadly, the Birotor was placed in the uncomfortable position of costing more than the larger, faster, more economical and less complex Citroën DS which quickly sealed its fate.

The Birotor version achieved poor sales and was quickly pulled from the market after 847 units sold. It was not economical for its size and was launched during the 1973 oil crisis.

The sales and quality were so disappointing that Citroën attempted to buy back and scrap each Birotor, as it did not want to support the model with spare parts. A few of these remarkable vehicles have nonetheless survived in the hands of collectors, many without titles for some time as Citroën did not want to recognize the cars.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Hmm.... just had a thought of putting a 20B in a DeLorean lol..

Sure would get me to 88MPH easily.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I've got to get to the petrol station so I can get to 88mph so I can go back to the future?

Musty

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Elliott 'Musty' Freestone
Drive
92 Mazda 323 Astina
dunno if it would sell well in france, coz etron literally means a piece of faeces

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
I've got to get back to the future so I can change my seals?

No, I've got to get back to 1955 & show them a stainless steel coupe with a triple-rotary twin-sequential-turbocharged engine lol...

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
It's hard and expensive enough getting them rebuilt today!

Top Bottom