[S]uperMa[N] aka Dean // Melbourne - VIC

[S]uperMa[N]

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dean
Drive
Legnum VR-4 XD
Just saying hi, I had a drive of a legnum vr4 on the weekend from a dealership. I loved it! Going back tomorrow to buy it, I saw this website while googling information on those brilliant wagons! I can't wait to be it's owner, only problem is the head unit.. Some imported touch screen double din with a 6 stacker md. MD which I have no idea about or ever used lol XD I'm going to do some research now on the forums and see what I find. So thanks for this great website and hope to catch you on the forums and if not, on the roads! :p
Dean

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Yeah g'day Dean and have fun gettin yourself into a tasty Leggy. Some good info on buying over on one of the main pages of clubvr4.com as well, it's a UK site but has some good info too (under the resources tab at the top of the page) :)

[S]uperMa[N]

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dean
Drive
Legnum VR-4 XD
Thanks Mortz I'm definately going to have a look, and I loved the drive.

I'm from Mentone, and I'm getting the car from JSA imports in Preston! I can't wait! End up with a sleepless night of excitement I'm sure :p

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Will be organising a Wash Meet next week or so. You will have to bring it down and show it off!

[S]uperMa[N]

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dean
Drive
Legnum VR-4 XD
I will be offshore sometime next week for a few days, but if you can tell me day and time the worst I can say is sorry I can't make it lol. In saying that I'd try all hell to get out there. Arrggh I want tomorrow to come already! My week is already ruined by work, I get the car tomorrow, take it home, drive it to work in the morning the next day, leave it there over night to take a work ute for friday to the heliport and more than likely if I can't work something out it will be there all weekend :(

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Welcome Dean!

What you'll find is that if it's a Japanese head unit, you'll probably need to change it anyway as it won't pick up most of our radio stations.

Mine came off the boat with a Jap DVD/CD/MP3/MD/GPS head unit. Only problem was the lack of radio stations and the fact that all the buttons and display were in Japanese!

Can you confirm that it's a Jap head unit or a locally fitted one?

G

Unregistered
Hey Dean, might see you around. I'm down your way, and I actually used to live in Mentone near Thrift Park. :)

OH, and when you are up at JSA you might like to point out to them that our cars don't have 4 wheel steering like they claim in all their listings.

Heliport? Not going to rack up the km's on the poor Leggy driving back and forth to Longford are you? :(

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
JSA? Hmmm... good luck with that. I'd honestly suggest having a thorough mechanical check done to be sure there's nothing wrong with it, especially if your going to be paying 17k+ for it.

Have you been looking long? Do you know just what options are out there before you rush out and get the first one you've driven?

I'm not trying to be condescending or anything, it's just that they ARE exciting cars and you wouldnt want to regret buying the first one you saw when you figure out that for that price you could have bought one from either a private seller, or from Japan with heaps of added extras, or, at least heaps of change for doing some basic mods yourself.

Well, either way, good luck! We usually have wash meets every few weeks, so watch the vic section and come on down and say G'day. You'll get a chance to check out some nice rides and we all like showing off to prospective VR4 pilots :D

[S]uperMa[N]

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dean
Drive
Legnum VR-4 XD
Welcome Dean!

What you'll find is that if it's a Japanese head unit, you'll probably need to change it anyway as it won't pick up most of our radio stations.

Mine came off the boat with a Jap DVD/CD/MP3/MD/GPS head unit. Only problem was the lack of radio stations and the fact that all the buttons and display were in Japanese!

Can you confirm that it's a Jap head unit or a locally fitted one?

Ok I will answer all these questions first then get to my lovely story for the day... The car I was going to get had the same thing, some jap gps md/cd touchscreen thing. All in Jap apart from the numbers :p

[S]uperMa[N]

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dean
Drive
Legnum VR-4 XD
Hey Dean, might see you around. I'm down your way, and I actually used to live in Mentone near Thrift Park. :)

OH, and when you are up at JSA you might like to point out to them that our cars don't have 4 wheel steering like they claim in all their listings.

Heliport? Not going to rack up the km's on the poor Leggy driving back and forth to Longford are you? :(

Ahh wicked yeah I live on como parade west lol. I would of done that but I didn't even realise nor did they claim to me that these cars have that feature lol I either fly off from longford with esso or origin which is from tooradin. This time its origin and no I use a work ute to commute through jobs, so only recreational k's on this leggy :p

[S]uperMa[N]

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dean
Drive
Legnum VR-4 XD
JSA? Hmmm... good luck with that. I'd honestly suggest having a thorough mechanical check done to be sure there's nothing wrong with it, especially if your going to be paying 17k+ for it.

Have you been looking long? Do you know just what options are out there before you rush out and get the first one you've driven?

I'm not trying to be condescending or anything, it's just that they ARE exciting cars and you wouldnt want to regret buying the first one you saw when you figure out that for that price you could have bought one from either a private seller, or from Japan with heaps of added extras, or, at least heaps of change for doing some basic mods yourself.

Well, either way, good luck! We usually have wash meets every few weeks, so watch the vic section and come on down and say G'day. You'll get a chance to check out some nice rides and we all like showing off to prospective VR4 pilots :D

Looking long.... define long? LOL Funny you say all this, I go there, and guess what.. The car doesn't drive anymore. I can reverse it put it in drive and nothing except revving of the engine. The engine been detailed and apparently someone has bumped something, a clip I think and its turned to crap now. They tried to zip tie it so I could drive it now on the 18" wheels. Didn't happen so I just said no thanks. My rant will be in next post lol

G

Unregistered
Looking long.... define long? LOL Funny you say all this, I go there, and guess what.. The car doesn't drive anymore. I can reverse it put it in drive and nothing except revving of the engine. The engine been detailed and apparently someone has bumped something, a clip I think and its turned to crap now. They tried to zip tie it so I could drive it now on the 18" wheels. Didn't happen so I just said no thanks. My rant will be in next post lol

That sets off some big warning bells! Have you finalised the deal yet?

[S]uperMa[N]

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dean
Drive
Legnum VR-4 XD
Alright so today, left work got my 17k, cash from the bank. I wanted to haggle this guy down but incase he didn't want to budge I had the cash. I get there I see the car its looking ace. Now I said to him the day before if I am going to drive this car tomorrow, I am more likely going to buy it providing I can drive it away that same day otherwise it's wasting my time driving backwards and forwards test driving the same car.

Now I didn't put a deposit down on this car on the previous saturday purely because I had never driven one before and I wanted to test drive a manual one the day after, just to compare the 2 and make my decision then. I loved the auto. I loved the auto so much by sunday I didnt want to test drive the manual. He told me he wasn't working monday, so I told him I would get back to him on tuesday... Tuesday he rings me in the morning, tells me the car is rego'd and is being detailed and will be ready wednesday 3pm come down and test drive it. I said wicked but if I drive down there and test drive it I will want to pay cash for it and take it home. He told me no problems 3pm the car will be back here from the detailer... So I asked whats the best price he could give me. He knocked 500 bucks off. Little shattered that was all after saying I would pay cash, but meh I really liked the car.

So I organised to get dropped off down there today with my cash ready. He gives me this spiel, Dean there is a problem I can't let you take this car tonight, the guys that sign off on our warranty no longer come and inspect our vehicles we have to bring it to them. So it would be ready by tuesday.. I asked him well what if we forget about the warranty and don't worry about it. Sorry can't do that Dean. :( At this point I started to almost crap myself. My partners mum luckily enough was still there and hadn't left yet. But because I was told that I could take the car home the day before, I sold my vt commodore today. Gone. So no car, and the work ute is at the workshop :O

He insisted I still give this car a test drive. So we got in, I got in there popped it into reverse, got out the drive way. Stopped put it in drive and guess what.. NOTHING. The car rev's but no go. He asks me if I had the foot on the brake before I put it into drive. Of course I drove out of the driveway at like 2 kmh. We swapped over he got in the drivers seat, tried himself, nothing. You can feel when it engages into reverse, but put it into drive and it's like you're in neutral and it didn't engage.. After about 30 mins of them fidgetting around the engine bay, realising the problem is some clip/harness, not sitting right they try to zip tie into place so we can at least go for a test drive. Once again the bonnet goes down for at least the 5th time, and no go in drive.

It seemed when the bonnet was up it was able to drive, with it down nothing. At this point I was glad I didn't put a deposit down and told him I'm going to honest here, I'm not impressed, you've kind of screwed me over and on top of that the car doesn't even drive. So I'll stop wasting your time and mine. Yep ok Dean see ya later.

As I drive off with my partners mum, guess what they were able to do drive it up the drive way... I had given up tho. But I needed a car....

So I ring a work colleague up, knowing he works later than I do, tell him to look for another vr4 which i remembered was a private seller. Got the digits, give him a call. Voila lucky me, this manual vr4 is still for sale. 12k 5k cheaper, and 70k km less. Somethings not right..

Organise to go see this car. By this time it was nearly 7pm. Took this for a whizz bang. WOW. The manual *drool* Now this car inside had a lil different and the head unit has been removed. But this one had a sun roof, THAT WORKS! :D We swapped over and this guy showed me how it handles. I hate to admit it but I was holding the door handle... With both hands :S While being thrown around corners in nunawading. He told me to relax, but its a bit hard when your face is near on spread across the passenger side window. I was desperate for a car and this guy had a rwc and a trade plate that I could take the car home tonight :D Providing I meet him back at vic roads tomorrow for the registration. Which conveniently he already had an appointment!

This car didn't have the 18" rims, nor was it detailed yet. I'm pretty damn certain it's as low tho. I didn't worry much about the detailing being the position I was in. This car has a quite a few more scuff marks than the other one, some dodgey repair paint work on the rear qtr drivers side. The front bar has that lower middle piece ripped off but its in my backseat.

We drive our new Legnum back to Rowville making sure my partners mum is still following. And the tone is oh so sweet. The clutch I have realised is very soft but I don't need to push it far to get the friction point, half way if not less. The heater illum seems a lil low or it wasn't dark enough. My speedo's are automatically on all the time or just when it's dark? I have no idea but that feature was ace.

So I'm driving back home with my partner and our lil 2yr old boy in the backseat, almost home.. When of all things.. The cops, they were infront of me, but decided to pull over wait and then get behind me. Followed me home as I pulled to the alley way the red and blue started flashing by this time it was roughly 9ish if not earlier. I had the papers in hand. They asked me a few questions, do I know who owns the plates etc, who I bought the car off, took my license. I told them the story and they breatho'd me. All clear just a warning don't take it out during these times. (y)

All in all, saved money, got a car when needed, something that I wanted. Saved some cash, which more than likely will be spending on to get it up to shape with some of you people here :p
Ohh and I got my Legnum from Kamikaze motors/Sumo Motors :D

Ohh and I have a quote for you all..
Copper: It's a Mitsubishi Legend?
Me: No, it's a Legnum
Copper: But it's a Mitsubishi right?
Me: Yes....

lol XD

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
HA! Awesome story Dean! Such a full on day too...

I'm glad you didn't buy from those tools in Preston mate, you would have regretted it one way or another. Ok, we need a wash meet soon! Scotty?

[S]uperMa[N]

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dean
Drive
Legnum VR-4 XD
Thanks guys! Yeah I don't know if I'm even able to take this to the car wash lol My appointment is 11:45, but I will be there early in the mean time might just take her down to get a wash then some pics with the diggy! XD

Top Bottom