Seats - What other options are there?

Abusive

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
2000 Legnum
Bullshit. Have you actually had a good look at them? I have a genuine Zeta II and a fake Zeta III. Both fixed back seats, same size etc. The only difference I could feel was that the fake was stronger and didn't flex. The genuine one has flex in it. Both are made from the same materials.

Like I said... "This may not be the case"

As far as bullshit goes, tell that to the fuckers I have scooped out of cars..

There's a reason why seats are and are no ADR approved, you think they do that just to have a laugh.. what a dumb ass thing to say.

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
tom, i think they're factory VR4 recaro rails...hard to find with a recaro already attached

Seems likely, they look like they belong in the car but aren't the same as the ones from my old one. Could you not purchase those rails and then get some Evo Recaro's second hand? Or are the rails one of the stupidly expensive parts that we're trying to avoid buying here?

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
It's just uninformed scaremongering saying that all non-adr seats are dangerous. I'd trust my seat 100%. It feels far more solid than some aftermarket adr approved seats I've looked at. *cough* Autobarn *cough*

If you want to be safety conscious buy seats like you buy used cars - on condition. A reclinable OEM seat could be deadly if the locking mechanism is worn. Speaking to the ADGP scrutineers the other weekend and next year they're banning all reclinable seats for that reason. But fixed back copy Brides are fine...

Black_Ice

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Aamir
Drive
WRX
Mine's got Recaro Raptors out of an Evo VI, looks like the rails have been modified/moved or swapped though. You could probably get some from an Evo driver who's upgraded to some fancy seats, they are quite comfortable and very sturdy. Got the lumbar support thingy-doodie as well.

Show off (y) I would love to have evo seats in mine :(

Abusive

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
2000 Legnum
It's just uninformed scaremongering saying that all non-adr seats are dangerous. I'd trust my seat 100%. It feels far more solid than some aftermarket adr approved seats I've looked at. *cough* Autobarn *cough*

If you want to be safety conscious buy seats like you buy used cars - on condition. A reclinable OEM seat could be deadly if the locking mechanism is worn. Speaking to the ADGP scrutineers the other weekend and next year they're banning all reclinable seats for that reason. But fixed back copy Brides are fine...

Hey man, I never said ALL non ADR seats are dangerous, never even came close to saying that.. but when you have seen first hand what it looks like when the brackets fail in a rear end accident from cheap knockoffs, and a mans head smashed in by the boot of his own car that has been pushed into the back seat which would have missed him by quite a bit if the seat didn't fail, then come talk to me..

I'm not trying to be an ass here or argue with you, I was merely stating that they are not to be trusted..

Peace Tim, I don't want to get off side with you, but in all honesty, cheap knockoffs have taken more than their fair share of lives!

And as far as 'uninformed' goes... your talking to the wrong guy man.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Could you not purchase those rails and then get some Evo Recaro's second hand? Or are the rails one of the stupidly expensive parts that we're trying to avoid buying here?

To be honest, I just don't really like Recaros that much, thats why I want something different but still comfortable and holds well but doesn't cost a fortune.

MackTheKnife

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Paul Mc
Drive
'90 MX5 and '01 LR Freelander V6 Softback
[RANT]

To weigh in to the ADR seat arguement, I did the Reinsurance for a certain Korean car manufacturer many years ago. Those particular cars have seats that are are ADR compliant.

The backrests of those ADR compliant seats had a nasty habit of breaking in an accident and causing the drivers and passengers spinal injuries.

ADR is bollox. FIA/CAMS approval is what you want if your safety is a priority.

[/RANT]

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
yup exactly, ADR approval requires money. its the government after all. give us money, all sweet, your product is legal.

hence why drift blades are ADR approved, monza autotechnica spent the money getting the seat approved. i bet it bearly scrapes by.

brides would pass easily, but Bride has to pay the fees.

that said, id consider running legit bride recliners if the locking mech is sturdy. worse ill get is a defect if the cop knows his sh!t

Rosco

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ross
Drive
96 Legnum vr4 Triptronic
Well if the handbags have been put away...

Macca have you considered putting the FTO back on the VR4 base with a retrim? the reclining mechanisms are the same i think.

I really wish id taken those FTO seats for free just to see, but then again im glad i dont have mouldy seats sat in my apartment.

Im not looking for track worthy seats, i want something that looks better and feels a bit nicer

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
I have considered it. I've been talking with one of the guys on FTO Aus so I might have a couple soon to play with.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Those seats fell through :( oh well. Here is a question for you guys. Will SR Recaro seats bolt up to Recaro Raptor seat rails? I'm sure the answer is probably yes but I just want to be sure. Would hate to be stuck with some seat rails I cant use :p

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Anyone know where to pick up Recaro seat rails or is it a yahoo japan auctions only?

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
Macca, you can get them from mitsi Japan brand new, think they are $600nzd each.... The other option is Bride RO rails(which bolt up to all SR Recaros), thats what im going to when I get my SR3's....

G

Unregistered
There's a website I found with them for like $80 a set but I had trouble trying to sign up etc I'll see if I can find that page and post link here

Top Bottom