Setting TPS, ICS & PPS - TCL PFL AUTO

Johnny_k

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Johnny
Drive
97 COTY Legnum & 09 Astra
Hi Guys,

Im presently battling a stalling issue and part of my troubleshooting has led me to buying a new TPS and I need to understand how to set it in conjunction with the Idle Control Screw and Pedal Position Sensor.

I have read posts here, here and here and I reckon i'm starting to confuse my self good and proper.

Right now i'm not entirely sure what i'm to do as far as placement of the feeler gauge, what measurements to check and monitor on the TPS and PPS or hell even just setting the ICS.

Have any of you blokes dealt with this shite and able to offer some guidance with the usual disclaimers :)

I guess the complication here is it's a TCL auto meaning it's got the other sensor (PPS), and from what I read that changes shit a bit.

Particularly you guys who seem to know or have dealt with it a bit,
@VOLK @Dice @naughtika @TME_Steve

Also Steve I'll likely be sending you that ECU this week.

Cheers everyone

Johnny_k

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Johnny
Drive
So by combining info from this post, this post & this thread and I think I got it set. However i'm wondering what impact a flat spot on the other TPS (PPS) would have? I haven't yet tested it as my multimeter is not cable pulled through but when testing my old TPS it seemed quite fine.

I have now also pulled out the IACV to give that a clean to rule that out too.

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
You should start with the TPS and IPS adjustment first. Main difference for auto tcl is that the feeler gauge size is different per the workshop manual as mentioned in the club vr4 page. Don't change SASS and leave the BISS until after you set TPS/IPS, often it can be left unchanged.

Johnny_k

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Johnny
Drive
Yeah I'm fairly certain I got it all set. Set the TPS and the "other" TPS (is that what you referred to as the IPS? Which I thought was a PPS?) After setting those I had no need to mess with the SAS, just needed to use the BISS to bring the idle down.

Johnny_k

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Johnny
Drive
Still just need to test for flat spots on the other TPS

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
To clarify, the IPS (idle position switch) should show continuity at a certain point - need to refer to the manual pages.

Legnum in America

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4 COTY
2022 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
1999 Honda Civic EX
Well this weekend I ripped out the intake, changed all the spark plugs and wires and decided to work on the throttle body as well. I removed the TPS sensors and after putting the TPS back in they were way off. This was the easiest way for me to test.
PXL_20230409_230946414.jpg
PXL_20230409_230834845.jpg
I used a broken paper clip and inserted it into pins two and four. I did this on both TPS sensors since I have an auto with TCL

As you can see when I first put the TPS back in and tested my TCL lights came on and it showed mV @456
Adjusted the mV @676 and so far no issues.
PXL_20230409_231147482.jpg
PXL_20230408_192125760.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom