Should i be able to press the brake pedal all the way down?!?!?

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
Recently i have noticed that when my car is stopped and idling if i press hard enough i can get my brake pedal down to the point where i'm assuming... they are all the way on (feels like you hit something solid). Never noticed it before so i thought there was an issue but the master cylinder and the brake booster are both operating fine with no leaks at all.

So basically what i am asking is... is it normal to be able to do this?

Interloper

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2000 Legnum S Man, NX Paj, CBR1000RRSP2, CRF450
No! and I'd be getting it checked out sooner than later

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Yeah well i was worried but then i did it in my dads car and could do it in that as well. Thinking its just normal now.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
I should clarify... The engine is running and the pedal is not hitting the floor. Juts hitting something solid which I'm certain is the pistons pushing the pad hard up against the disc. just tried my mums car and that also does it, I'm thinking now I have imagined a problem that isn't there.

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
Yes that's normal. The reason that is happening is because you have vacuum assistance when the engien is running. The easiest way to see if you have a problem is to turn the car off, give the pedal 3 pumps and it should go hard. If the pedal doesn't go solid after like 5 pumps then start looking for air in your lines. Your only allowed about 3-5mm free play in the brake pedal.

Top Bottom