Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
Hi All,

I've been quiet for a little bit with various commitments (work!)... But I've been chipping away at the various projects I’ve started.

Firstly... the big one is live tuning. It's taken many hours of R&D but I’ve managed to prove it works. I've been able to relocate the ignition map into unused RAM, then change the values on the fly while the car is running (no need to restart car each time you want to make a change - should save dyno time by half or more!). I'm planning to relocate the fuel and WGDC maps as well (bench ECU has all three maps relocated), but for R&D purposes (and my vr4 is my daily) I’ve only been playing with the ignition maps in practice.

Steps for this are:

1. Save current ROM from ECU.
  2. Upload hex edited rom that has the extra code for non-MUT comms.
  3. Fire up my program and open your stock ROM.
  4. Loads default map to RAM of ECU, then start playing with your maps. Editing maps is very similar to Ecuflash interface.
  5. Once you’re happy with the tune, save the ROM with the new maps.
  6. Upload this ROM to your ECU.

The only problem with this is my app needs exclusive use of the openport or FTDI cable while doing this. So you're using Evoscan, you need to stop logging and reconnect in my App when changing maps. Once I've ironed out the bugs in this, I’ll probably implement my own logging feature to eliminate this.

Screenshot of what it looks like so far (of course you'll have to take my word that it works!) - Oh and if you can think of a better name, I’ll shout you a beer. Codename is MitsuTune atm - pretty lame-o. Also, this works only for VR4s and Magnas atm but will work with any H8 based ECU.

livetuning.JPG

Other projects and their progress:

• Replacement to Evoscans poor implementation of reading DTCs and operating actuators. Has ability to interface with ECU and TCU at the moment. (If someone in SA can lend me a VR4 with TCL, SRS, AYC, etc. I’ll get it working with those systems too - just need to guess address on the OBD bus). Will also guess what processor your ECU has without having to access the ECU take the cover off. I would post up a screenshot of this app... but it's looking pretty shabby, plus I don’t have my openport to show it working in action and no idea where my vagcom cable has got to. Also need a creative name for this... atm the project is called VR4Scan (sorry Hamish if you're reading this). I'll shout someone a beer or three if you can come up with an original name.

• ECU Unlocking - Steve has given me a bunch of ECUs that are locked/bricked... I've desoldered the H8 off the board and have designed a PCB to solder this to so I’m able to put it in my eeprom programmer to read the ROM or at least write stock rom to it. If I’m able to get the ROM of it, I hope to disassemble and write an app to unlock the ROM without the need to desolder. I've also borrowed a H8 chip from one of my magna bench ECUs and soldered into place of the VR4 ECU. Works well - so if all else fails... we can just get magna ECU to salvage bricked/locked VR4 ECUs. (each magna ECU has two H8s on board)

• BCXMODs v2 is a little bit closer to finishing... I haven't done much with this since I last posted, sorry. I've just got to hex edit the rom (have wrote the assembly source code, now the painstaking process of converting this to hex opcodes and editing the rom, then testing). Will have this completed real soon!

• Cruise Control kit... I've wrote 90% of the code for the Atmel, and hand drawn a few schematics of what the circuit should look like. Just need to draw the schematic in to Diptrace or something then produce a PCB. Sorry for those that have been waiting... I'll be definitely making more a priority this year for this... as I would like to fix some of the quirks my beta v1 board has (that I’ve been using for about a year!) - Thanks to Peter (Poita) for his help so far... I'll be hitting you up with a few more Q's in due time :p

• Automatic defs - I've had the opportunity to play with a few F5A51 boxes (welding planetary carrier pins, replacing wave springs, etc.). With this and seeing the operation of all the solenoids/valve body within the gearbox... I’ll hopefully be able to identify the lockup clutch tables so we are able to change this behaviour (not that my VR4 is a manual - but seems to be a complaint that both magna and VR4 auto owners have)... Stay tuned for this. Might need some volunteers to try a few tables out.

• ECU Defs - not much since last version... but have found a bunch of stuff relating to behaviour of TCL (both magna and VR4). Will get the XMLs in order and post up a new version soon.

• Not related to VR4s - but helped with my VR4 work - have managed hex edit a rom suitable for a Magna to allow knock sensor input. The Magna's 6g72 and 6g74 don’t have a knock sensor (why mmal? why?).

Thanks to those that have been patient waiting for things... it's coming. If you'd like to help, feel free to contact me. I do all of this as a hobby and don’t always have time to do this. If you like this work - I do accept donations :p

PS. FYI - ecuflash 1.44 has finally been released. Comes with new version of firmware for the Openport. Check it out!

Cheers,
Bill

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
Good stuff Bill, glad you were able to get the live tuning to work as it will make a big difference to the ability to tune.

Have I sent you my 2.0 disassembly? I am thinking of posting it up publicly since I have pretty much stopped developing on the H8 platform.
If it helps I can also send you my helper programs + source. One of them is a program that uses the "patch" output from IDA and patches the ROM so you don't have to hex-edit it.

Am pretty keen on testing your mods too if you are willing to let me :) I have specific need to do some WGDC changes...

smohekey

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott Mohekey
Drive
Legnum
Amazing stuff Bill. I'd like to offer my help if you'd like it. I'm a software engineer by trade, and have a heap of experience.

mfbamba

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Misagh
Drive
1997 Legnum
Hey Bill if Vagcom cable is the basic one you buy from ebay for around $20 I have one which I'm happy to donate. i just gotta find it though.

edit: let me know and I'll start looking.

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
I can draw up the schematics and layout the PCB if you like for the cruise control. Can even do it in 3D! Could probably get a couple prototypes from work as well.

Rabit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
2000 Legnum Mint with 44589ks when I got it. Now with black leather seats. After 3 years of fun some terminal engine bay wiring issues raised their ugly heads and it died. I Now drive a 2002 Legnum and have retired the 2000 to spare parts duty.
Its not that I'm impatient but, I purchased all the bits for cruise using a Commodore unit way back and even cut a mint leather, Nardi wheel, to fit a Magna switch. So I'm ready to go as soon as testing needs to be done.

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
there needs to be more of u... clone this man at once!

Lasiorhinus

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Stephen
Drive
White FL Legnum
Software should be called "What a Chestnut!"

water chestnut...
hishi/bishi....

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
Call the whole package VR4some... or maybe Mr. Tuner in the vein of Mr. Fusion... :D

tim123

Idling at the Lights
First Name
T
Drive
None
I have an automatic TCU and TT ECU you can have if you want them?

Top Bottom