soundproofing a legnum

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
well i was bored last week so i decided to go down to my foam and rubber shop(because thats what i do when im bored...)and i bought some soundproofing foam,it was $25 a metre which works out cheaper than dynamat but i realy just wanted to find out if it worked as good

the main reason i bought it was to install it into the boot of my civic as my mums been driving it a lot now that ive got the legnum and shes trying to sell her delica.it was easy to do,all i needed was a stanley knife and some spray adhesive.
05062008004.jpg

it muffled the sound slightly but theres just no end to the noise that damn cannon makes,so next step is getting it taken off the car.ok then with all the foam left i was going to do the same with the legnum,as it weighs next to nothing so weight wont be an issue.
but when i lifted the boot tray out of the legnum i noticed this
05062008003.jpg

the legnum already has a soundproofing foam stuck under the tray,so im stuck wondering whether or not its worth laying it through the wheel well or not.the legnum is not at all loud and droney like the civic but i want it to be almost perfect inside with not a sound coming through so my music will be absolute clarity.so my final questions is:-

where on earth can i stick the rest of this foam to reduce road noise?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
You could stick it on the bottom of the spare wheel well, and on the sides of the body around the fuel filler cap and behind the light access panels. Also can't forget the wheel wells.

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
Also can't forget the wheel wells.

Good call Brad. It seems to me that most of the noise comes straight from the tyres.. That's all I can hear. So yeah - sound-proofing the wheel wells would be the first thing I would try.

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
thats a realy good idea,ive got tomoro off so looks like ive got some interior panels to pull out.
its defintly noise from the tyres i want to get rid of,the exhaust isnt too bad so ill make the wheel wells 1st priority and see how it sound after

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
I can hear wind noise from the wing mirrors at 110kmh, which is why I've got Ganador mirrors, and everything else is road noise. At 200kmh there is windnoise coming from everywhere!

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
I only hear wind noise from the passenger seat. :confused:
I'm guessing it's because the door seal may not be as good on that side..

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
check the seal at the top of it. On my COTY the door wasn't aligned perfectly and when I stuck my fingers up into the seal at the top of the door and pulled the top of the door into the car, and that stopped the noise

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
As for the noise from the cannon take a drive to Right Price Exhausts in Slacks Creek (Moss st) and get them to order a insert for it. I'm getting one put in on the weekend. They are adjustable so you should be able to tailor it to suit. Well hopefully so.

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
well my mum is driving the civic until she sells her car and buys it off me,so it'll just be better for everyone to just swap it back to stock,ill keep the cannon for when the engine eventualy dies on mum so i can put a h22 or b18 into it

update on soundproofing,im pulling the cars interior apart tomoro,maybe start wiring up my amp in the boot as well,ill try get it in as many pieces as possible so i dont drive it for a couple days,im trying to go cold turkey as the last couple weeks have been close to 700kms a week,400 of those have been pointless,hopefully have more pics tomoro arvo

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I appreciate you trying to keep everything in one place James, but your progress is easier to follow if you put the updates in a new post :)

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
update:
well i got the time to finsih this so this is how it went

took every little peice of interior out of the boot,took about 20 mins to get out,then another 20 mins trying to figure out how them 4 hook-like clips worked
11062008.jpg

11062008001.jpg

there is a lot more bits and peices in that boot than it looks,probly a good 20-30 kgs worth
11062008005.jpg

11062008002-1.jpg

then i pretty much put the soundproofing foam everywhere there wasnt that weird stock stuff
11062008003.jpg

11062008006.jpg

then i had the sweet job of putting the interior back together(before the sun went down)
it wasnt as quick as taking it out but it was hassle free at least

the soundproofing has made it quieter,it would be a lot better in the back but theres still the road noise from the front wheels,and the wind from the rain guards and mirrors

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
i know what you mean,i haven't looked too much under the carpet in the front but the front wheels are noisy in my car as well,there's already a lot of soundproofing up there already so its gonna take more investigating i think,now that ive driven my car a lot more since doing it,ive noticed the boot did quite a good amount of sound deadening
next step is dynamating the doors

G

Unregistered
I have some dynamate sitting in a box ready to go in all my doors but don't have any new speakers yet, well not for the fronts, (already have the 6.5" subs for the rear doors but not installed yet, and yes they are proper subs, dam big for there size)
So it will be a while but will post pics when it does get done.

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
ive had a good look because ive had the door fabs off so much,ive got dynamat as well and i dont reckon it will make things any quieter because there's already a lot of stock foam in there but it will stop the panel vibration which is the main point of dynamat

would be sweet if you put some pics up of once youre done,im not completely dynamating my doors,just where each speaker is

nabassu

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Maciek
Drive
VR-4 TypeS
if you put mats on the holes just under the door panel, i think it will help.
stock soundproofing is on the out side of the door, extra layer of DynaMat will also help.
I'm going to do the same thing, but also with the whole floore. (sorry for my eng. :/)

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
james how did you remove the 4 plastic hooks that hold the boot netting up? im trying to remove my rear bumper and i can't access all the bolts that are down the sides. The old cd stacker is also in the way so i need to remove the interior side panels to access the bolts.

im just a bit hesitant cause when i was installing my sub my dad sent a huge split down one of the plastic panels trying to get it out and i dont want to split it further

G

Unregistered
Look at the underside of those hooks and you see a little tab, hold this in with a screwdriver. You can then rotate the hooks 180 degrees and they just pull out.

Top Bottom