Split small coolant hose - can it be blanked off?

G

Unregistered
Howdy, I did my plugs yesterday, looked like the back 3 hadnt been changed in some time!

Anyway, when i pushed the inlet manifold out of the way, a coolant hose that connects underneath the throttle body split, this is an absolute bitch to get to so was wondering can it simply be blanked off on the radiator side?

I'm guessing its just a way for water to circulate round the throttle body, for emissions requirements, etc, etc.

Any ideas??

Cheers, Bart.

G

Unregistered
if its one of the two coolant lines that go into the throttel body you can block them. they just run coolant through the TB so when it snows the TB dont freeze up. best bet to ask gly (carsten) or brad, they know more bout these engines than we do!

G

Unregistered
Yeah Joe is spot on about the use, and Gly did suggest to me ditching them when i relocated the throttle body, however i decided to keep them just incase something decided to throw a fault or whatever. For the sake of a few $ of hose i kept them.

I dont see why you couldnt just block off the pressure side as you suggest though.

If you do decide to go down the route of replacing them, you can see in this pic where they connect. Mine now run around the firewall to the RH side of the engine bay.

Its only superficial stuff in the way, piping/airbox etc. id be inclined to replace it. If not, id make sure you block off the feeds into the TB, to stop dirt etc getting in there just in case.

Attachments

• Update 5 016.jpg
    Update 5 016.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 28

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Surely you can just get some standard hose from any auto shop by taking your existing hoses in and matching them up? No-where near my car atm so bit hard to compare...

G

Unregistered
Surely you can just get some standard hose from any auto shop by taking your existing hoses in and matching them up? No-where near my car atm so bit hard to compare...

Definately, its 10mm or 3/8" I.D which i ended up using. Easier than worrying about the plug coming out down the track. Iv got a spare metre which you couldv had if you didnt live in the wrong place:ROFLMAO: Then again it is called OZ-VR4:D

G

Unregistered
I reckon i'll just blank it off, i mean what are the chances of the TB freezing anywhere in Aus? (lol i know im in tassie).

Plus there's the upside of getting rid of a few hoses in that crampt engine bay that simply arent needed! Who knows, one day it might actually be neat under there......

Will let you know how it goes!

Cheers, Bart

G

Unregistered
Yeah Joe is spot on about the use, and Gly did suggest to me ditching them when i relocated the throttle body, however i decided to keep them just incase something decided to throw a fault or whatever. For the sake of a few $ of hose i kept them.

I dont see why you couldnt just block off the pressure side as you suggest though.

If you do decide to go down the route of replacing them, you can see in this pic where they connect. Mine now run around the firewall to the RH side of the engine bay.

Its only superficial stuff in the way, piping/airbox etc. id be inclined to replace it. If not, id make sure you block off the feeds into the TB, to stop dirt etc getting in there just in case.

The hose in the middle of that photo is the re-circulating breather, not the coolant hose im referring to. The breather is defiantely 3/8" ID, but the smaller coolant hose im referring to is more like 1/4" ID.

Anyway ill blank it lol.

G

Unregistered
Sorry didnt mean to confuse you, yeah thats the rocker breather. The hoses i meant are the ones i have extended to my new TB location, connect to the bottom of the TB. They now run around the firewall on mine. Those are 3/8" inch which is a tight fit.

Either way, i'll be keen to see how it works out for you. I probably should have just cut them off, cause they turned out to be a collossal pain to keep..

Attachments

• Update 5 016.jpg
    Update 5 016.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 21
G

Unregistered
yeah cheers for that ill let you know how it goes

G

Unregistered
insted of blocking just bypas the TB, it will lower your intake temps aswell. i did this in my forester, but make sure you block the coolant inlet to the TB or as mike said you will get dust and shit in there.

Bladerunner

Crunching Gears
First Name
AB
Drive
1998 Galant Facelift Type S
If this was the rocker breather, why not just vent to atmosphere through a filter (since it isnt coolant)? Or is there coolant running through the rocker??

G

Unregistered
no, was just the wrong pipe featured in the photo, no coolant running through the breather ;) run your breather through a catch can though, keep things mildly legal!

Top Bottom