Standard boost-what is it?

DVR

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Danny
Drive
Delica mainly
I've searched and can't find what the original factory boost pressure is. Also is there a difference between auto and manual maximum boost, since the manuals are supposed to be 15 or 20 more BHP?

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
You will find it is somewhere between 6 and 8PSI in all models

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
With an exhaust mine was about 10.5psi. I think it is more like:

191kw = 7psi
206kw = 9-10psi

G

Unregistered
Does this mean that there is no Mechanical difference between say a Series 1 & 2 Engines apart from more factory boost?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Most facelifts have a larger throttle body which is 64mm in size compared to 60mm. These engines also have a larger inlet into the intake manifold and the individual runners are a bit bigger. The difference is minimal though, it is as if Mitsi just ported the intake runners.

G

Unregistered
6-7psi if you disconnect the factory wastegate solenoid :D when connected about 8-9psi but with a better feeling spool.

Donkay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Don
Drive
Mitsubishi RVR
Also, question, i notice people boost their turbos to 15psi, does it Actually stay at 15 or spike up to 15 and gradually drop to 10ish like what mine is doing.. Keeping in mind im using an ebc unless its the ebc to blame im assuming

Also i have removed the solenoid as well

Donkay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Don
Drive
Mitsubishi RVR
Also, question, i notice people boost their turbos to 15psi, does it Actually stay at 15 or spike up to 15 and gradually drop to 10ish like what mine is doing.. Keeping in mind im using an ebc unless its the ebc to blame im assuming

Also i have removed the solenoid as well

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
They will all drop towards the redline as the turbos are pretty small and at high rpm's they struggle to hold the boost.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
My facelift auto had 10psi from factory :) Unsure why though!

You........................ had an auto? *gasps*

@Donkay, PFL Autos had 191kw, PFL Manuals/FL Autos/FL Manuals had 206kw. 260vs280HP. Most posts here indicate just a single PSI of boost difference?

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
From factory mine was 8psi, which is pretty common for most factory turbo cars.

Removing the boost restrictor will give u another pound.

Upgrading dump/front pipes will get it to 10-11psi with no boost controller.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
From factory mine was 8psi, which is pretty common for most factory turbo cars.

Removing the boost restrictor will give u another pound.

Upgrading dump/front pipes will get it to 10-11psi with no boost controller.

Not entirely true - my car (as I have found out) has front pipes, 3" exhaust and disabled boost control at the moment (as my EBC is not functioning) and I only hit 7psi - wastegate spring pressure. Thats it.
However, I do also have compliance cat - which may go walkabout soon....

G

Unregistered
my old FL (auto) legnum was bog stock apart from a cat back and that was running 10psi...

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
Stock was 8psi on the boost gauge.. Then once I had a boost controller, engine pipe, exhaust and front mount, I was able to run about 11psi safely, 12psi on most occasions (but get a drop in temperature outside and it'll spike to about 14 and hit cut)

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
Not entirely true - my car (as I have found out) has front pipes, 3" exhaust and disabled boost control at the moment (as my EBC is not functioning) and I only hit 7psi - wastegate spring pressure. Thats it.
However, I do also have compliance cat - which may go walkabout soon....

That doesnt sound right. Maybe something went wrong when the EBC was disconnected.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Yep you're right that something is wrong.
I have a feeling the stock solenoid has been removed from the picture and thats why without the EBC functioning i've got waste gate pressure only. I haven't had time to do anything about it since picking the car up on Monday, but hopefully this weekend will get the EBC functioning again.

Top Bottom