Stock vs forged pistons?

Nicguy

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Nic
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Currently planning an engine rebuild off all standard things + forged rods. Car has done 230km and probably abused. Wondering about doing forged pistons - rpw have a set for what seems like a decent price, but is it necessary? Wanting to build eventually to around 400hp and have reliable internals. I see a lot about stock rods being weak, but not heard any info on pistons, so I ask - is it a part worth doing?

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Theres a few stock bottom end engines kicking around making around that 400-450whp mark but around that 400hp mark is where I'd stop being confident in the longevity. Much above that I'd consider the engines to be living the "hand grenade with the pin pulled" kinda life.

I can't comment on the quality of the parts RPW sell as I've never used them to build a 6a13tt

The longevity of an engine depends on how it makes it's power. The stock rods are tiny but if all the power doesn't come in till after 4000rpm the duration of cylinder pressure on the rods is less as it's happening at a higher engine speed so they can take it. What kills rods and bearings is big torque numbers low in the RPM range as that cylinder pressure is applied to the rod and bearing for a longer period of time , therefore giving it more chance to bend a rod or squash a bearing.
The competency of your tuner goes a long way also. A good tuner can pull boost and timing out in the danger zones of the rpm range and then feed it back in higher in the rpm to keep your engine safe.

BCX

Administrator
Premium Member
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
Agree with @6A13TT TYPE S has said.

Tuner needs to make sure they torque limit the tune otherwise its a grenade.

I'm on a stock block (150k on the odo) with about 267kw peak power. Could have gone more as I've got ported heads and high flow turbos, but the tune keeps torque limited, especially lower engine speed.

TME Motorsport has options for forged rods and slugs as well.

Consider something than a OEM style clutch otherwise it'll slip.

Nicguy

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Nic
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Stay away from RPW.
Having a look through the thread and sounds like he is a pretty difficult guy to deal with. Where would are people buying engine rebuild components from?

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
Having a look through the thread and sounds like he is a pretty difficult guy to deal with. Where would are people buying engine rebuild components from?
I believe the rods are china specials and people have had issues in the past.

Steve at TME would be your best bet. I think there is a "winning" formula for built motors nowadays.

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Nothing wrong with china rods half the name brand shit is all made in China these days anyways the hard part is getting a decent quality piston these days. Steve sells CP Carillo which are good but definitely come at a premium price these days. Unfortunately with the 6A13TT there are few other options.

Import performance parts (IPP) sell a decent wiseco piston for a reasonable price. Pair that up with the likes of a prism or other china rod and you'll be safe to a bunch of power

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
Nothing wrong with china rods half the name brand shit is all made in China these days anyways the hard part is getting a decent quality piston these days. Steve sells CP Carillo which are good but definitely come at a premium price these days. Unfortunately with the 6A13TT there are few other options.

Import performance parts (IPP) sell a decent wisecrack piston for a reasonable price. Pair that up with the likes of a prism or other china rod and you'll be safe to a bunch of power
Agree about other stuff coming from China but I believe Steve and others in the past have had issues with RPW rods specifically, unsure about pistons (which I now realize this post was asking about!)

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Yeah the stock gudgeon pin is 19mm which is pretty small too from memory Steve's rod and piston combo steps that up to 20/21mm. I'm not sure if he fucked around with pin height and rod ratio either, I doubt it as the 6a is good stock at 1.7ish
The CP/Carillo combo is definitely better but last time I got a quote of Steve they were almost 6K AUD for pistons and rods

The IPP pistons are stock pin size but the pistons are like 700usd on their website. And a set of custom china rods is like 150usd per rod so all up your almost half the price.
I've used maxpeeding rods before with great success. People like to rubbish them but they are the place in China that makes all of spool imports H beam rods.

The ipp website is dogshit but if you go

"Mitsubishi" > "pistons" > " Wiseco" youll find this
Screenshot_20240708_111644_Firefox.jpg

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
Yeah the stock gudgeon pin is 19mm which is pretty small too from memory Steve's rod and piston combo steps that up to 20/21mm. I'm not sure if he fucked around with pin height and rod ratio either, I doubt it as the 6a is good stock at 1.7ish
The CP/Carillo combo is definitely better but last time I got a quote of Steve they were almost 6K AUD for pistons and rods

The IPP pistons are stock pin size but the pistons are like 700usd on their website. And a set of custom china rods is like 150usd per rod so all up your almost half the price.
I've used maxpeeding rods before with great success. People like to rubbish them but they are the place in China that makes all of spool imports H beam rods.

The ipp website is dogshit but if you go

"Mitsubishi" > "pistons" > " Wiseco" youll find this
This is what I was trying to think of but I couldn't remember and didn't want to cold tag you.

This information should probably be stickied/wiki'd as the forged options discussion comes up a bit...

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
I've been toying with the idea of getting custom pistons made and selling a more budget friendly rod and piston combo but it's alot of outlay for me considering I just do VR4 bits on the side to support the forums not as a registered business.

The MOQ for custom rods is 12 though so if people are wanting to get some rods to suit the IPP pistons 2 by 2 I'm happy to facilitate that.

Nicguy

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Nic
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Happy with that price for pistons. Apologies for the noob question, you mentioned gudgeon pin sizes - they should be compatible with something like Kingtec rods?
Thanks all for the help, saving me $$ so far!

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
That price is without rings so you have to pay for rings ontop of that price.
Those wiseco pistons use a stock 19mm pin. So that's up to you to contact whoever kingtec is and confirm
I've never heard of king tech before

Top Bottom