Subframe mounting nut

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
So I started undoing the subframe mounting nuts/bolts to remove the steering rack. Problem I ran across is with the highlighted nut in the below pic. The stud is spinning with the nut. Now this is a problem because the other side of the stud is now enclosed inside the chassis (plate welded over the only access), feels like there is a captive nut on the other side that has come loose.

Any one know if it is a captive nut? Or if they are some kind of special stud, the others are loose but have limited movement allowing you to do them up but this one just seems f**ked.

Untitled.jpg

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
They aren't captive per say, I think they must have tongues, locking them in position like a woodruff key.Sorry to say but I think you're in a bit of trouble. I can't see a way to get it out....

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Crap hope I don't encounter this when I do mine soon...

What was shagged with yours to prompt the change?

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Friend has an oxy torch/welder so that plate covering it may have to come off and then go back on again lol. Bit pissed off as if I'd have just undone the othe side first there wouldn't have been a problem as I only needed one side off.

If it had happened with any of the other ones I would have been more annoyed as they actually seem impossible to get at.

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
You could always tack/weld it if you can get some mig wire in there....not the best solution, but a solution.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Nah there is literally no way of getting at it. It's fully enclosed, more horrible design by Mitsubishi lol.

Thinking now I'm going to try and weld some kind of rod onto the stud and then use that to stop the stud spinning.

G

Unregistered
Could you cut a slot the end of the stud and get a big flat head screw driver onto it, or grind a flat on each side for a spanner?

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Yeah will give that a try, trouble is the nut requires a lot of torque but def worth a shot

Top Bottom