Suspected Caliper problem

Kingy

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
James
Drive
VR4 Galant 96 Series 1
This may have been done but I'll ask here anyway.
I replaced my front rotors and pad today and was fairly uneventful until I fitted the last left side brake. I test drove the car and noticed a noise coming from the left side (thump, thump, thump) sounded as if something was hitting the rotor everytime the wheel rotates. All looks good after a second inspection. Disk is clear of any suspicious items.
When I opened the caliper again for inspection and jumped on the brake to extend the caliper pistons, only one came out all the way with the second only coming out halfway. Would this indicate that one caliper piston is seized is not retracting back into the cylinder? I'm suspecting that after applying brake pressure, half of the pad has pressure due to the the seized piston which is still meeting the pad causing the noise/vibration.
What does a Caliper rebuild require? Where do we get the 'special' grease to do it ourselves if we can?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
with the thumping feel/sound, does it get faster/slower when you drive faster/slower?

and also, your new pads.. are they slotted?

when you pull slide over the caliper.. have you tried rotating the caliper pistons? by using one of those adjustable pliers? this is what i usually do to loosen things up if and when I notice that they are sort of seized.. also brake fluid flush/bleed is highly recommended, more than likely that the fluid in there is just as old as the car..

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
also in my opinion, caliper rebuild is only recommended if brake fluid is leaking from the pistons themselves.. but if not.. then I dont see the need for replacing them..

Top Bottom