Suspension setup

Kingy

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
James
Drive
VR4 Galant 96 Series 1
Hey guys,

I've just done a search on coilover setup configs and can't find much on install/setup/corner weighting. I've just bought some ISC's with thrust bearing kit and have asked a few workshops and one has said they have a machine that cornerweighs and they do a proper setup etc for about $800 and others are saying they can install for about $300-350 which I assume is just the basic install without proper computer adjustments. Some shops didn't even know what cornerweighing is.

I'm not doing any track work but would like a good setup. Is it worth spending $800 for a decent setup?

Much appreciate any good advice.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
That is extremely expensive.

Coilovers, particularly ISCs are incredibly easy to do yourself, or at least tune yourself. All your need is a measuring tape and the little allen key adjuster that drops into the top of the coilover.

The only way corner weight will be thrown out is if the coilovers aren't set at the same height (left vs right). You can't assume they are exactly dead on out of the box, so you need to use a measuring tape. When installing them, you want to put the two fronts in together, then the rears, or vice versa. Estimate the height you're after (you'll probably get it close, but not spot on), then take them out and readjust with the measuring tape.

Once the car is at the height you want, drop the dampening adjuster tool into the top of them and have a play, counting the clicks even on left and right coilovers. Front and rears will probably be a little different. I think most people have the fronts around half way and the rears a little stiffer. If you get a workshop to install the coilovers for you, this is still something you can do yourself until you find the level that feels right to you.

There's a guide on here exactly how to fit them yourself. It's much easier than people expect, and you'll save yourself $300-800. If you really don't want to do them yourself, take them to the place charging $300 as there's nothing fancy the other workshop will do.

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
$300-$350 is more than reasonable. The corner weighing price is high because well, you're asking for more. :) And it's a long iterative process.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
Front's will spin without unbolting anything. Rear's need 1 bolt removing. That's how I do it anyway.

Kingy

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
James
Drive
VR4 Galant 96 Series 1
Thanks for replies. The expensive quote I got was through a R@pco franchise who insisted they have a computer that measures everything for the best setup. It sounds like its makes no difference in just fitting them and adjusting them properly.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
corner weighting is about getting the weights at each wheel as even as possible, you need scales under the car wheels (usually they're all linked to a computer) to do this. It is time consuming and the scales aren't free either so it costs money, whether it's worth it, depends on your perspective. Also as you adjust heights, you should be changing the wheel alignment to suit.

Kingy

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
James
Drive
VR4 Galant 96 Series 1
Thanks guys, I'm giving it a go myself................I've just snapped a wishbone bolt connecting the wishbone to the coilover. Does anyone know what other similar mitsubishi's has the same size bolt. Part number MB109179

Top Bottom