Tailgate rattle

piawaka

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Pat
Drive
98 Legnum vr4
Hi all

I have an annoying as hell rattle coming from the boot of my leggy which I thought may of been from inside the tailgate, (as a friend of mine in nz had a similar problem, he took off the trim and put some cheap foam in the gaps put it back together and problem solved) but after further inspection of the tailgate from the outside it appears mine moves in and out when I pull and push on it .

In order to save my sanity I employed some nasa type technology in the form of a couple of occy straps running from the hatch handle to the cargo net hooks
as im sure you can guess this is not the best fix as now I cant open the tailgate :oops: but it does save me from kicking the snot out of it haha

Anywho what I am wondering is if anyone knows a way to fix my little problem, can I make adjustments to the boot lock so it grips the metal latch better, will I need to buy a new lock etc etc?

any help with this would be great.

Cheers Pat​

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
check the rubber support feet and wind them out a bit, this might help

piawaka

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Pat
Drive
98 Legnum vr4
Good idea guys didnt even think of that :oops:
will check it out and see how it goes

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
Also you can try:
a. loosening the two screws that hold the latch clip and try to move it forward (ie try to tighten it)
b. if the plastic coating on above clip is worn from the latch teeth, try rotating it around 180 degrees (i think you can on the leggy), or wrap electical tape around the clip to mimic the original plastic coating.
c. combine this with the adjustable rubber stops.

piawaka

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Pat
Drive
98 Legnum vr4
no luck with the rubbers they just spin around so dont adjust in and out.
next step adjust and/or tape the latch, cheers for that rob.
was thinking maybe a little bit of tube cut down one side and clipped over the latch might work, pretty much the same as the old tape trip i guess
cant hurt to try

M0R81U5

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mick
Drive
PFL Legnum
Mine has this problem too! You beat me to creating a thread about it.

I've stripped all the trim out of the boot and tightened everything I can get a socket or screwdriver to, but it's no better. I can't find any kind of adjustment on rubber stoppers or anything either.

I'll have a crack at the latch adjustment as well

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
go buy some adjustable ones from supercheap/autobarn etc

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
The two rubber stops (one each side at the bottom), should have a spiral thread on them, so all you have to do is wind them out, unless it is just a fl thing. My GT Forester had the same set up (i think from memory)

M0R81U5

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mick
Drive
PFL Legnum
In my PFL, the tailgate ones are not adjustable. The ones under the bonnet are, but the ones up back have no thread.

I'll do what Paul suggested have look at Supercheap this w/e cause its driving me bananas

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
Glad I found this thread. As part of my soundproofing project I was tackling a tailgate rattle. I could only make it rattle by hand when I shut the tailgate, where it would rattle just for a second as the latch clicked. By loosening the two screws in the boot for the latch striker, I was able to move the striker in as far as it can go. This has cured the rattle when I close the gate, now to see if it cures the noise while driving.

Does anyone have pictures of what the latch striker looks like with thew original plastic coating?

Top Bottom