tappets in vr4....adjustable?

JRVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
2000 galant type V manual
So my tappets are making a hell of a noise even after a fresh oil change. I'm wondering if they are adjustable? Oh and if not i know you can buy those additives to put in your oil that are meant to lessen the noise...what are these like on the tt engine?

G

Unregistered
They are fine the MBL8 is really good, i would highly reccommend it...

I used it and noticed a big difference.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Are you using Amsoil in your car Justin? Quite a few people have had very good results with it.

VR4 lifters aren't adjustable.

I found an aftermarket part number for them last week, details here - for $12.90 each you can replace the lot for $310. You might need the removal tool that Meek Automotive sell if you want to do it yourself, though.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
never been a believer in additives, however my uncle swears by roil..

G

Unregistered
Can any one post a pic of a lifter and a tappet there may be a way to stop the tappets from ticking. I had the same thing in a 2.6 astron EFI motor so i pulled them out and put small springs in the middle and it stopped ticking on start up and low revs. The tappets normally have oil pressure in them that keeps the two halves extended but on start up older engines takes a little longer to pump them up and hence the ticking noise .......... well it worked for the 2.6l Astron motor.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Can any one post a pic of a lifter and a tappet
Err, they're just different names for the same thing...

You can't dismantle them, and I wouldn't recommend doing this even if you could. Its not like they're prohibitively expensive to replace, anyway.

G

Unregistered
Sorry my bad I call the control arm running on the cam itself a lifter and the "lifter" a tappet poor slang / English.

Ok the drawing is crap but you may get the idea the black (in my head) is the lifter and the pill shaped thing is the tappet. IMO I am more often wrong!!
If it were possible to put a spring into the center of the pill shaped thing it would help with the ticking noise but the vr4 would have to have something similar to be able to do this. The pill shaped thing is fed oil into it and then provides contact between the valve and the lifter but as time goes on the rubber seal weakens and oil gets past it or sludge build up stops oil pressure getting high enough to keep it apart and hence the ticking. or so I am lead to believe.

Attachments

• crap drawing.jpg
    crap drawing.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 93

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I understand what you're saying Tom, but you can't dismantle them. And if it were really that simple, don't you think the engineers designing cars might have thought of that by now? If using springs was a better idea they'd already be doing it.

Just buy new ones. Seriously.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
I understand what you're saying Tom, but you can't dismantle them. And if it were really that simple, don't you think the engineers designing cars might have thought of that by now? If using springs was a better idea they'd already be doing it.

Just buy new ones. Seriously.

That sounded a little harsh, though im sure you meant well :) Ill probably end up getting new ones - mine drive me nuts...

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
That sounded a little harsh, though im sure you meant well :)
Really? Sorry, didn't mean it to be. Just meant there's no point wasting time and effort on something like this. If lifters were $60 each then sure, but when you can get them for $13 your time is better spent elsewhere (that you won't potentially ruin your engine...)

Sorry Tom, wasn't trying to be rude :(

G

Unregistered
No offence taken I was putting the idea out there and I got what I wanted. Once I get my legnum I will be getting a spare engine and doing a fair amount of work to it so I want to know what can be done and what would be cost effective and get good reliable results so any help and thoughts is good!!

millsy

Crunching Gears
First Name
Jason
Drive
vr4 galant, 2005 WRX Club Spec Evo 8
hey guys i know this may not be the right thread but i have limited internet access and was wondering if there was anywhere on here that i can find someone who has replaced the lifters themselves and if so was it hard or is there some instructions on how to do so!!! im doing it on sunday and to save a lengthy process was hoping there would be a how to do to save time!!! i got all the lifters and gaskets from meek for a decent price just waiting for delivery which should be tomorrow!! and links or suggestions????

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Yeah i took a couple pictures and videos of the job, i replaced my gaskets and seals on the rocker cover too so they are included.

Its ALOT easier than i was expecting, i put aside 6 hours for the job, but it took far less.. Ill get to writing a guide soon :)

Top Bottom