noony

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Paul
Drive
Black 99 FL
Hey guys,

Im troubleshooting AYC TPS - 41.
I've already unplugged / replugged and reset the ecu and the error came back.

Does anyone know how to test the TPS?
I'm not sure of the voltages to test for or at what throttle position etc.

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
They all show that, evoscan will soon tell you if it's working....

noony

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Paul
Drive
Black 99 FL
Hmmm...I'll sort out a cable etc and see what it says

It drives fine, really just trying to get the check eng light off...

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Yep, what he/they said.... I didn't read your first post properly, and didn't realise the light was on, that may suggest it really doesn't work or something else is wrong. if only 41 is coming up, that doesn't explain the light being on.

Heaps have the 41 fault code, clear it and it just comes back....and that's with the tps working perfectly, but the cel doesn't come on, on those cars....

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
usually TPS error code 41 comes up after washing your engine bay..

i usually give it a good spray to dry it up

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Unplug the TPS connector, grab a multimeter and set it to read DC volts.

Pin 1 of the TPS is the driver's side and pin 4 is the passenger side.

With ignition on, engine off running and throttle closed or at idle position, volts between pins 2 and 4 should be in the range of 400mv to 1000mv for manual vehicles, no traction control.
Conversely, for vehicles with automatic transmission and traction control, you should be seeing 580mv - 690mv.

Anything outside of these ranges, you'll need to adjust the TPS. Refer to my next post.

Still measuring pins 2 and 4, open the throttle slowly and observe the dc voltage should increase to a max of 5 volts at wide open throttle.

These are the normal ranges.

noony

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Paul
Drive
Black 99 FL
Thank you all
I will grab some contact cleaner and a multimeter.

Perhaps the CEL light is actually error 71,72.
Just seemed like a petty issue to give me a solid light.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Considering the name of this thread it's probably worth putting more idle/tps info in...

Idle position switch and TPS adjustment.
Grab your multimeter, set it to resistance.
With ignition on, engine off and throttle closed, there should be resistance between pins 3 and 4. These pins are the idle switch.
When .65mm (manual, no traction control) or 1.4mm (auto, traction control) of feeler guage is placed between the SAS (speed adjusting screw) and the throttle stop, these pins should go open circuit.
If this does not happen, loosen the TPS adjusting bolts, rotate completely clockwise, then clockwise until pins 3 and 4 only just go open circuit.
Keep your multi on pins 3 and 4, remove the feeler guage and the idle switch should close. There's a fairly narrow window to get this correct.
Once everything is set, tighten your tps back up. Check the idle switch is closed (resistance on pins 3 and 4) and then goes open circuit when the correct width of feeler guage is placed between sas and throttle stop.

Please note I've now added the different values for a/t and m/t with/without traction control for both posts.

I offer these and all other troubleshooting details as a guide and take no responsibility for you breaking your shit.

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
My TPS only has 3 terminals - pins 1,2,4. How to test resistance? Am I not looking at the TPS?
IMAG0636b.jpg

Edit: Looks like I have 2 TPS', MD614734 and MD614736...

IMAG0637.jpg

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
I'm back to battling my idle again, hunting during power steer idle up and speed sense vac assist idle up. ISC wants to randomly step closed at low speed part throttle, bit vicious. Can one of you champions unplug your ISC and tell me. The resistance between pins 2&4 at idle position and WOT? When set to 20k ohms, I'm getting 1.25 at idle. Gotta be wrong as it's misbehaving.

Thanks in advance.

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
Bumping this thread,

I 'think' my TPS is on the fritz,

I have no idea if I'm using my multimeter right
I set it to measure ohms, at 20'000.

Closed throttle pins 2&4 read around .5
At WOT it reads about 4.8ish
Manual transmission.

Tried measuring between 2& 4 with my multi set to DC volts as per this guide and I get 0, on any range.

Now the figures of .5 and 4.8 (500mv and 4.8v sound right going by this thread, but I'm getting all the symptoms of a TPS error, jumping on light throttle and a hunting idle when coming to a stop?
I have cleaned it both inside and out with contact cleaner to be safe, but the problem is a bit intermittent.
Will be fine while I'm testing and fiddling around with it (engine is at normal temp), then I'll go out for a short drive and the symptoms will re-arise?

I have checked all Vac lines too ruling them out

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
You'll only get voltage at the tps with the harness plugged in, otherwise just test for gradual resistance value change using ohms on your multi. Should sweep gradually in resistance from idle to WOT as you open the throttle. Check your idle switch too as per my post earlier in this thread.

Done a boost leak test to completely rule that out? Checked your ISC solenoid resistance on all coils are in spec?

Idle faults can even come down to ECU component failure.

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
Okay, cool, i check resistance using ohms, i thought i mustve been doing something wrong when i got nothing with it set to Volts
Will check ISC too first chance i get aswell..
Will double check for boost leaks aswell but Im sure im all good on that front

Is there a guide for testing the ISC too?

REI600

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ian
Drive
1998 Legnum VR4 5 spd Manual
1996 Mazda Proceed 4x4
Project - Datsun 1600 Turbo rotary conv.
can someone please provide a simple image/diagram of the location of the "sas and throttle stop"?

20150615_221710.jpg

I'd sure appreciate it.

G

Unregistered
can someone please provide a simple image/diagram of the location of the "sas and throttle stop"?

I'd sure appreciate it.

SAS is the Philips head screw with the lock nut on it in the middle of the photo. Throttle stop is the part of the pulley that hits against it when no pedal input. To set up your TPS properly you need to insert the feeler gauge between the end of the screw and the pulley.

REI600

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ian
Drive
1998 Legnum VR4 5 spd Manual
1996 Mazda Proceed 4x4
Project - Datsun 1600 Turbo rotary conv.
This is the item that you are referring to. Is the feeler size the 0.65mm that VOLK referred to in his write up?
SAS - screw.jpg

Also, I have been told that this procedure cannot be done without connecting the car up to an EVOSCAN style data logger..??

This is something that will definitely slow me down as I don have any of that gear. It is something that I will be getting, but, jus not yet. I have questions about compatibility of the EVOSCAN gear to different tablets (windows Toshiba encore Vs Samsung Tablet).

icantfindspace

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Alan
Drive
Legnum
Sorry to revive an old thread but I need some help with this.
I have a manual conversion that has retained the TCL throttle body and hence the two TPS setup.
I have read from other posts that at idle the value of the TPS should be around 13% of the value at open throttle (I've measured resistance but proportions shouldn't change when switching to voltage)
the 4 pin TPS behind the throttle plate checks out but the 3 pin TPS in front of the throttle plate is at about 21%
also the absolute values of the 2 are different 3pin (0.9-4.2kohms) 4pin(0.65-4.8kohms)

How similar do the 2 TPS need to be ( like just proportions or absolute values too)

Top Bottom