History of the 8th Generation VR-4

mchieff

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dennis
Drive
Legnum
A definition of hot and cold spec would be useful as i don't really know the difference...

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Bruce, exactly. It also stops idiots from saying 'I think that type xx came with xyz but type yy came with abc' both of which are incorrect or only half true.

Steve, where is that thread again?

Dennis, I'll get onto it. It will probably be done this weekend.

mchieff

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dennis
Drive
Legnum
Bump for this - still interested in the differences of Hot and Cold specs against standard!

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
There was no "Hot" spec. There was a cold spec and from memory the main difference between it and a standard car was it had a proper front windscreen de-icer, not unlike the rear with its fine wires in the glass.

mchieff

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dennis
Drive
Legnum
Sweet, didn't know that, but this is supposed to be THE thread on hard facts about the different specifications. I'm sure there is much more to it than just the heated front screen. What was available on series 1 and 2 for example and what exactly makes a car cold spec, is it just heated front screen, side mirrors & wipers or something more, didn't i read somewhere about a plug under the drivers seat on cold spec cars?

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
um... good question brad. I lost it, but then found ti again, but now i don't remember where! argh!

We'll add this to the main index as a definitive guide.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
It also had heated front seats.

Joking. My car was a cold-spec & I would have loved heated front seats.

Somewhere on here someone mentioned that the cold-spec cars had a slightly stronger alternator?

Dennis, the "hot" spec car you're wanting to know about is called a 'Super'. It's just so damned hot to look at lol..

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
The only JDM 8G's to come with heated front seats were the two versions of 'snowbird' that came with 2.5 n/a and 1.8 n/a engines.

The cold specs have exactly what was posted further up, heated side mirrors, heated windscreen wiper area at the front, a 20A larger alternator. Early manuals had 80A and auto's 100A, the cold specs were 100A and 120A. Later on all cars moved to 100A and 120A for either cold or auto or both. I forget exactly what years mean what alternator, but it isn't really a biggie.

The guys in the UK say that the cold spec ones had undersealing but I disagree, I've seen multiple cold spec cars with no underseal at all.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Heated side mirrors Brad? I don't recall ever seeing them on Grandpa, & the front windscreen had been replaced already by the time I got it (which I had to do again myself anyway).
Definately has a de-icer switch though.

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
Heated side mirrors Brad? I don't recall ever seeing them on Grandpa, & the front windscreen had been replaced already by the time I got it (which I had to do again myself anyway).
Definately has a de-icer switch though.
Yes they do have heated mirrors. :) I know that mine work.. lol

Riley

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Riley
Drive
96 Legnum vr4
so what is a legnum again?

that was very informative......nice writeup

Harlequin

Crunching Gears
First Name
Trent
Drive
'98 Galant VR4 Type S
Thanks! this is exactly what I was looking for :D Now I know what galant to tell the importer I want

douwboy

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Joshua
Drive
2000 Legnum pearl white, manual, sunroof
Great write up but i have a serious question that i couldnt find in the write up. In the near future i will be looking for a legnum. Did they make a facelift model with AYC, sunroof and manual gearbox and high vis dash? ive been looking around and havent seen many im also after a specific colour which is the trigger mauve. Hope this is not a stupid question and someone can shed some light.Thanx.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
I have one too, but I also have leather :p

All face lift Legnum type S have AYC and high vis dash.

douwboy

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Joshua
Drive
2000 Legnum pearl white, manual, sunroof
But a sunroof is a rare option in the facelift model especially in a manual?

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Yeah mine is all the above (plus mmcs and recaro interior) except a sunroof, actually a question for Brad, how much extra does the sunroof weigh? (hopefully this will make me feel like I don't want one.... at least until I see another one again....)

Top Bottom