The OZVR4 Chat Thread

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Very interesting. I read an article by Iron Chef in performance imports magazine on odometer tampering and how rife it is. He also said something along the lines that some of the worst offenders tried to play out on forums that they were against it and trying to do something about it. A quick google took me to Skylines Australia and sure enough there it was. Extreme Motorsports getting ripped to shreds.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
The same thing happens with the usual suspects here in Melbourne. Regardless of their current legal standing on any given day, you can't buy a JDM import without having to deal with them in one way or another.

Biznitch

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Scott
Drive
Legnum
Is there a free way to check online a vehicles odometer reading at time of export? Or only the paid services through companies like JOC etc.

G

Unregistered
Only the paid method as far as I'm aware. You should also (if the broker you're using is a reputable one) be given the vehicle's de-registration paper/export certifficate which states the car's current odometre reading.

Biznitch

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Scott
Drive
Legnum
Unfortunately the Legnum I bought has been here for 4 years and was a Kamikaze motors car. It did not come with the export certificate and Kamikaze are out of business.
Part of me would like to live in denial and just accept the odometer reading but my inner masochist wants to know. Hmmm, pay $50 to hear potentially bad news that will affect the way I think of my Legnum forever...It's kind of like the conundrum of whether or not you ask your girlfriend how many guys she has been with.

At the moment the masochist in my head is winning. I really want to know if my pearl white, pure of heart Legnum is really just a dirty, dirty little whore.

On a side note, imagine if there was database that could tell you how many guys your GF has REALLY been with.

Biznitch

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Scott
Drive
Legnum
Japanese Odometer Check has made a video on you-tube informing of how they go about verifying the mileage of a vehicle. They used a very apt song; see if you can guess what it is.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
So hypothetically speaking if you do an odo check and find a discrepancy. Can this then be used as evidence against the importer considering that they are required to have the de-registration papers?
This could prove to be very interesting as this is a very affordable way to check. Last time I looked this service cost $300. Now it is under $50.

Biznitch

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Scott
Drive
Legnum
For some reason fair trading or ACCC when investigating these claims only seem to prosecute traders who have dodgily sold locally sold vehicles and not the imports. This is despite massive evidence presented to them.
JOC did a check on 30 imported vehicles which were advertised at car yards and 25/30 were found to have tampered odometer readings. 85% or so. The worst case 135,000kms wound back and the smallest shave was 35,000kms.
Interestingly 2 of the 5 cars that had accurate readings were a Galant and a Legnum.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
I'm happier not knowing the kms.

People often ask, my response is always the same:
"How many ks does your car have on it?"
Me: "Well the odometer says..."

Top Bottom