Unregistered
i think you can get them with locks but not cheap

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Ben my fibreglass replacement bonnet is an exact copy of the original in terms of underskin skeleton. The latch is metal and looks exactly like the stock latch bar and is moulded into the fibreglass. I can get a photo if you'd like?

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
Brad's bonnet (I saved it and hosted it on my photobucket, hope you don't mind Brad). I really like how the vent is almost flush-mounted into the bonnet.

i-DSC01491s.jpg

Yeah I agree with this bonnet type! would be very very interested in pricing....I think this style looks mean and also has practical usage

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Benny I'll take a photo of the latch on my S13 Origin carbon bonnet for you too if you like.

G

Unregistered
well you're wrong Benny :p

Almost all modern cars have intakes at the base of the bonnet for cabin air due to this being in a very high pressure zone of air. Read this:

http://www.autospeed.com.au/cms/A_2162/article.html

After reading this article it apears to me that lifting up the rear of the bonnet (like the picture) would create the opposite effect to venting the hot air? Am i right on this?

newshoes01acc0.jpg

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
It won't let a massive amount of air out at least.The autospeed article is on an older shape car with a flatter bonnet than ours, so it may not be 100% accurate. The under bonnet pressure on our cars might be quite high and might be greater than the pressure at the base of the windscreen. The best place for vents will still be towards the front of the bonnet though.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
As promised... The latch is just a steel U that has been moulded into the fibreglass (the bonnet has a carbon skin laid over a fibreglass frame). The opening just appears to have been ground out by hand. It is a bit rough and ready, but it works.

latch1.jpg

latch2.jpg

latch3.jpg

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Macca, do you honestly think drifters are the smartest people in the world? They are a bunch of retards who can't learn how to drive fast.

(waits for the flames)

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
I would imagine the Evo 5 bonnet would be effective in some way or I could not believe Evo would just make it for looks. Cool air is consistently coming in the car through the front openings and with an opening at the top once the car has stopped that is when the hot air is released. Most cars that have scoupes have intercoolers mounted on top of the engine and suffer still from over heating

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Yeah the EVO bonnets will be quite effective. There is that lip in front of them which will create a low pressure zone over the vent helping get air out of the engine bay.

G

Unregistered
Well preliminary pressure testing on our standard pre facelift bonnet indicates that we may have negative pressure as far back as 15 cm in front of the window washer nozzle...But i will do more thorough testing soon.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
thing with evo bonnets - notice what is directly below the vent on evo engines? our cars are kinda different ;)

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
Macca, do you honestly think drifters are the smartest people in the world? They are a bunch of retards who can't learn how to drive fast.

(waits for the flames)

Kinda what I was going to say without the bluntness. :p

I had my bonnet the same, until I was shown what it actually did. So I got a bonnet vent at the front, made a HUGE difference...

some people/drifters are too ignorant though...

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
so that covers the front turbo, what about the rear :p one will produce hotter the other colder you will have a (not really) cyclone in your intake pipes :p

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
If you are serious about getting heat from the rear turbo, I believe you are better off pulling air in at the top and sucking it out the bottom. Well, that is what the pressure on the body of the vehicle will naturally do....

G

Unregistered
or create a chimney from the rear turbo to a bonnet vent.

josh what kinda power you looking at making? and what do you want the car for, track,street,drag?

Top Bottom