Third gear selection (manual) feels loose

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
Hi folks,

Selecting 3rd gear on my PFL 2000 model feels, well, odd. It definitely requires less force to select than 1st and 2nd, and feels a bit loose and sort of mechanical when I select it. Maybe notchy is the right word but that can mean different things to different folks. Mainly the weird feel is from 2nd to 3rd - 4th back to 3rd doesn't feel as loose.

I'm not an expert on this stuff by any stretch, but it feels and sounds like the problem is in the car, rather than in the gearbox, if that makes sense. Like it's a problem with the cables under the shifter. Could be wrong of course!

I have no other issues with the 'box other than that slightly loose feeling shifting to 3rd.

whats_doing

QLD Events Manager
First Name
Sam
Drive
98 PFL Black Legnum - SOLD
MY15 Hyosung GT650R
When putting it in 3rd gear, can you move the gearstick around once it is in gear? If so, it could be your gear selector bushes.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
When putting it in 3rd gear, can you move the gearstick around once it is in gear? If so, it could be your gear selector bushes.
No more than in any other gear position. Probably 10mm of play left to right in all gears.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Might be the bushes on the gearbox end of the cables

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Shifter linkage bushes possibly. Pull the gear boot up and have a look.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Btw PFL were 98' and earlier...

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
Oops I meant FL....sorry. Still shit with the lingo.

Top Bottom