Tips and preparations for track days

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
We don't have purely a motorsport related section so this is going under general.

Kat made the brilliant suggestion to build up a guide on how to prepare and participate in track days.

So I'd like to hear from everyone regarding

1. What to check/prepare before the day
2. What to do when you arrive (might vary per track)
3. Track day etiqutte/rules (also will vary)
4. Miscellaneous tips for getting the maximum enjoyment out of the day

We can then put the combined wisdom into a how to guide.

I'll start

What to do before the day:
Fluid levels: at least oil and coolant, preferrably diff and gearbox as well.

Tires: check for acceptable tread as well as consistent pressure between left/right. Recommended pressure from Bridgestone for my tires was around 30psi, however track marshall at QR said at least 40psi to avoid possibility of tire coming off the rim. Bridgestone man said that was rubbish. got me thinking that over inflated tires might have contributed to my spin - thoughts?

Clothing: most days will require you to wear long pants and sleeves.

Helmet: double check you helmet meets the standards required for the day.

Extinguishger: although not normally compulsory, it's a good idea to fit a fire extinguisher to the car. I can't think of a wosrese thing than watching your VR-4 go up in smoke!

When you arrive:
Sign in: you will be allocated a number and pit bay. Check what time the drivers breifing will be, and if there are any extra sessions for novice drivers (if it's your first time)

Recheck tire pressures: keep in mind they will rise as the tires warm up

Fix number/timing gear: this will vary per track so check what is required

Attend the drivers briefing: this will tell you all you need to know about the track and how the day will be run. Be sure to ask questions if you don't understand something.

When out on the track:

Passing: only pass on the straights. Track days are for you to compete against the clock, not the other drivers. Diving into a corner under brakes is asking for trouble!

Drive within your limits: if it's your first time out, build up the speed. This is easier said than done as I found out when I spun on my first lap. You'll run out of talent before you run out of car :D

If you spin or run off track: If it's possible to re-join, do so carefully. If you are stuck or cannot get the car started, stay in the car and wait for someone to come and rescue you. This obviously doesn't apply if the car is on fire...

Other tips:
Pit lane: this is generally a one way street, don't try and drive out the way you came in if you need to go back to the carpark or leave early.

Get tips from experience drivers: if it's your first time, get chatting to other drivers. Firstly you might make some new friends, secondly experience counts for a lot.

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Before going to any track do a lil research using youtube, especially any incar footage, will help you get the correct lines.

take atleast 1 lap to warm your car & tyres up

towards the end of each session be aware that you'll be suffering from brake fade.

think atleast 1 corner ahead on the track

be aware of whats around you.

After each run on the track when you return to the pits, do not use the hand brake.

Rasi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
2001 Nissan Elgrand - Previously the "best" factory optioned 2000 Legnum (manual, suade recaros)hehe
Also, periodically check your engine temperature - you wouldn't want to run too hot or you may not leave any coolant in your radiator and cook your engine. not good.

Greg GSL

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Greg
Drive
Cross6
Brake fluid brake fluid brake fluid! If you're tracking a car fluid comes before pads, yet is more often than not overlooked. If you're only going to do one thing to your car (apart from tyre pressures) change your brake fluid!

Other than that the above points cover some good advice.

G

Unregistered
Brocky - most race pits are flat anyway!

I like how you say "most" :p Is there any chance what-so-ever that your car could roll whilst in the pits? Is it better to be safe than sorry?

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
I like how you say "most" :p Is there any chance what-so-ever that your car could roll whilst in the pits? Is it better to be safe than sorry?

Just ask a loved one to lie behind the back wheels... :D

Seriously though, I guess there is always a chance, so throw in a couple of blocks to be safe!

harry

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Harry
Drive
Patrol, Sil80, Legnum VR4 TypeS
something to add after I drove the Legnum at Lakeside on the weekend:

make sure you have a full tank and take a jerry can with you. They suffer badly from fuel surge in long right handers (pretty much every corner at Lakeside) and still had 3/4 of a tank!

Top Bottom