tn magna question

bratwurst_boy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
daniel
Drive
98 legnum type s, jzza70 supra
hey guys, my girlfriend has a 89 tn magna and its cracked the head, just wondering would it be easier to replace the 4g54 (2.6L 4cyl) with another (its a carbie) or with a EFI engine and up to what year model or other magna engine would fit without modification.

cheers
dan

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Carbie? Ouchie.

I've still got a '94 TR and I've replaced the head on it, wasn't that big a deal (other than the stupid moron who bent the timing cog holder before I bought it which means all the timing gear needed to be reset too). But mine's already EFI.

To answer your question, in terms of cost and ease, replacing the head is about a 4 hour job and $400ish (for the head, plus gaskets etc) if you do it yourself. Time estimates will vary wildly for the inexperienced. Replacing the engine is probably a 20 hour job and maybe $1500 to $2k for a recon motor. Assuming you have the expertise and equipment to do the job.

IMO you'd be better off just buying a $2k runabout and getting $100 from a wrecker for the TN.

bratwurst_boy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
daniel
Drive
98 legnum type s, jzza70 supra
well my girlfriend has given the car to her mum (my girlfriend is buying a 4x4) and her mum wants to get it fixed, now i could probably do an engine swap myself (i have put a 1jz into my supra) but i don't really have the time.

i've found 2 engines for $400 each and got a mechanic friend that might do it for cheap and the car would only be used to get her mum to work (2 minute drive) or to the next town (80kms) so it just has to run for no more then hour at a time.

G

Unregistered
Try doing it yourself as I have done a few magna rebuilds on that era car and it never is simple you could pull off the heads and find that it needs block work or that it needs a whole new engine. So best off you finding that out not paying someone to find that out and a EFI conversion is ok but buying a $1500 complete magna would be a better option. I picked up a 94 verada for just over 1k so look around (it wasnt flash but it is still being driven by the sister inlaw).

Top Bottom