Towbar

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
If anything it drops for turbo.

You may have a 3000kg towbar on your car, but it is no good if your trans and motor cannot take the strain.

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
I've heard of magnas FWD bias causing the trailer to rock about, eventually turning and flipping the car with boats, caravans and even caged trailers.
Just because a car is FWD does not make it automatically unstable when towing. For what you describe above to happen the trailer must have been poorly setup.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
True, just being FWD doesn't automatically mean it will be rubbish. But I've heard of several bad accidents involving towing and magnas (twice where the report said the load had tried to overtake the vehicle), and that's as much as I need to know frankly.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Magnas - I've owned one for years. I'd just never stick a load behind one.

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
Just because a car is FWD does not make it automatically unstable when towing. For what you describe above to happen the trailer must have been poorly setup.

Phuck yeah it does!!! I towed my 1450kg Caravan with my XD Falcon (351 Clevo, 4spd) to my cabin in Moonta (about 2hrs from Adelaide) without a problem. When I towed it back the XD was out of action (non related) so I used my G/Parents '95 Verada V6 and all the shitty thing wanted to do was spin the wheels, be it from take off or even at 60kph up hill on a wet road, scarey sheeeyit. This "so called" Australian family tow car was a shocker, couldn't do more that 110kph with out it getting the "wobbles" ie changing lanes without consent, or take off with any sort of speed. REFER MY POST "FWD WILL BE OUR UNDOING" LOL :)

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
Phuck yeah it does!!! I towed my 1450kg Caravan with my XD Falcon (351 Clevo, 4spd) to my cabin in Moonta (about 2hrs from Adelaide) without a problem. When I towed it back the XD was out of action (non related) so I used my G/Parents '95 Verada V6 and all the shitty thing wanted to do was spin the wheels, be it from take off or even at 60kph up hill on a wet road, scarey sheeeyit. This "so called" Australian family tow car was a shocker, couldn't do more that 110kph with out it getting the "wobbles" ie changing lanes without consent, or take off with any sort of speed. REFER MY POST "FWD WILL BE OUR UNDOING" LOL :)

Don't get me wrong, FWDs will always struggle to put the power down when towing, thats a given. But I don't believe for a moment the magnas get the wobbles when towing because they're FWD. Maybe because they have a poor suspension setup for towing. Someone explain to me how FWD can make a tow car unstable at speed.

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
But enough about crappy magna's and their shithouse towing abilities,

where can I get me a 2000kg tow bar? :(

fair call, but I ain't much use lol

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
True, just being FWD doesn't automatically mean it will be rubbish. But I've heard of several bad accidents involving towing and magnas (twice where the report said the load had tried to overtake the vehicle), and that's as much as I need to know frankly.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Magnas - I've owned one for years. I'd just never stick a load behind one.

lol SA, I towed my TR magna on a car trailer with my dad's KR verada and it actually coped quite well!! I was VERY suprised at how well it took it.

Mind you I dont think I once went over 40km/h haha!!!

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Speaking of car trailers, does anyone know how much they cost?? Or where you can hire one in WA?

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
New one will set ya back about 3.5k, rental should be about $50-$75 for 24hrs. Atleast here in SA :p

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
wow, not here. A photo ID is enough, atleast last I hired one about 18mths ago

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
In fact most servo's that hire trailers have a remote system similar to the check in things at airports where you can hire your trailer from. Then ya just take the print out and photo ID up to the cashier, get the right plug and off ya go :)

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Servo I used to work at (while at uni) used to be $50 to hire, with $50 deposit and copy of the license...

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Thanks for the feedback guys - I'm gonna need one to get my car to and from the panel shop in a couple months. It'll be going there under a tarp in pieces :(

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
LOL I have to laugh at some people!

I currently own a 99 Magna and regularily tow a ski boat or a caravan for 2hours + up and down hills etc. I have absolutely no hassles at all, even at 110kph. It sits very stable and no wandering about at all. Over the past 4 years I have not had one scary moment.

If your suspension isn't shot, you position the load properly (i.e. everthing is not at the very back of the trailer) and you take off sensibly then you will be fine. Wet roads mean taking off even more carefully to avoid wheel spin but thats about it. It also pulls the boat out of boat ramps fine (if they are hard, not soft dirt!).

But back on topic, did anyone end up finding a bar rated around the 1500kg mark?

MUNGEL

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jess
Drive
99 Series II Legnum
Speaking of car trailers, does anyone know how much they cost?? Or where you can hire one in WA?

Funnily enough, i was actually looking this up the other day.

The Hire Guys - $95 for 24hrs. All they need is a copy of your drivers licence
http://www.thehireguys.com.au/

Kennards Hire - $108 for 24hrs. Kennards are a little more strict. They need to know the exact weight of your car and have to physically see the towing capacity on the car you plan to tow the trailer with. Also need a copy of your drivers licence.
http://www.kennards.com.au/

Both are located in various suburbs around Perth.

I have a mate who maybe hiring one off someone he knows for $40 a day, but i dont know if it was only that cheap because he knows them. Just say the word and i can check for you if you would like.

Hope that helps :)

Top Bottom