track racing and airbags!

G

Unregistered
hey guys

i have two totally unrelated questions. i did a bit of searching with no results;

has anyone taken their legnum/vr4 track racing? i have been to wakefield quite a few times and love it, i'm really interested to know how a 8th gen vr4/ legnum goes. i can't find any track times, does anyone have any?

also are these cars safe to put your loved ones + babies into? yes im future planning here. i hear quad airbags is a rare option, do the rest come with standard twin airbags?

cheers guys

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
hey guys

i have two totally unrelated questions. i did a bit of searching with no results;

has anyone taken their legnum/vr4 track racing? i have been to wakefield quite a few times and love it, i'm really interested to know how a 8th gen vr4/ legnum goes. i can't find any track times, does anyone have any?

also are these cars safe to put your loved ones + babies into? yes im future planning here. i hear quad airbags is a rare option, do the rest come with standard twin airbags?

cheers guys

Some members have done some drags/motokhana's/hillclimbs etc in their cars, but i'm not too sure about track racing. I'm currently organising a track meet in Tamworth for Queens long w/e this year so feel free to come have a crack!

SRS is standard AFAIK and i didn't even know you could get quad airbags! I quite happily cruise around with my daughter in the car. I don't care what ANCAP says, its safer than a bloody Kio Rio!! :)

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
Dual front airbags were standard.
Side (built into the front seats) were a rare option.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
I carry the family around on the weekends in my Legnum. Real station wagon type stuff lol

I figure the passive safety features have to be on par with anything 10 years old, and the active safety (4wd, handling, power, etc.) should help me avoid crashing in the first place, provided I'm driving well.

The best part about carrying the family is when my 3 year old daughter says "go fast, daddy! go fast!!!" :D

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Dual front airbags were standard.
Side (built into the front seats) were a rare option.

Ah true, mine has it in the blue car so i just thought it was standard.... Never looked in the white one to be honest!

Check the centre of the steering wheel :)

IMG_0144.jpg

EDIT - You can see it on the dash in my white car too.... Seats have been changed but so i dunno whether its still there or not

Picture079.jpg

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
All VR-4's have dual airbags. As Sydo said some of them to have additional side airbags built into the seats but it is a very very rare option.

I have seen a few of these get completely messed up, one NZ member took out a power transformer and a power pole in his car and both occupants got out just fine. The transformer was a complete write off :) Caused a large power cut too hehe.

The 8G's were the first to have mitsi's RISE body design which is still being used today. Basically they are very strong cars.

As for track racing, I've taken mine to Pukekohe a few times, and quite a few members in the UK, NZ and AU have taken their cars to tracks. The auto gearbox will overheat very quickly if you don't have a transmission cooler and the stock brake pads are poo on a track. Other than that the cars go fine.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
All VR-4's have dual airbags. As Sydo said some of them to have additional side airbags built into the seats but it is a very very rare option.

Can you verify whether all VR4's had the SRS Airbags stamp WITHOUT containing SRS? I couldn't possibly contain a rare option in 2 cars could I? :)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
from memory, Kevin (VR4Rocket) he's got side airbags too.. says on the seats anyway

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
Can you verify whether all VR4's had the SRS Airbags stamp WITHOUT containing SRS? I couldn't possibly contain a rare option in 2 cars could I? :)

Every VR4 has SRS stamped on the dash and (stock) steering wheel.

Only a SRS stamp on the seats themselves indicate side airbags,

G

Unregistered
SRS just stands for Supplemental Restraint System
ie, airbag :)

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
There is a Wakefield Track Day in the NSW Cruises forum :) Come and see how it goes for yourself? :)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Ohh right I get it, you thought that one of the S's in SRS stood for side airbags? Makes sense I guess.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
SRS just stands for Supplemental Restraint System
ie, airbag :)

And seatbelt pre-tension :)

But i was under the impression that side airbags were a requirement of the "SRS"..... I just googled it and low and behold, ITS NOT! Silly me.... Sorry guys

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
When I read the title of this thread I thought you wanted to fit airbag suspension and take it to a track day :ROFLMAO:

THAT would've been a sight!! legnum with its RHS in the air, LHS scraping the road going down the main straight at 160+kph! :ROFLMAO:

G

Unregistered
i have taken my legnum to the track, went to winton(vic) and did a 1,46.000 and also went to sandown(vic) and did a 1,32.890. the cars are great for the track but as brad says the stock pads are rubbish and i recomend changing to aliminum radiator, makes a huge difference..

Top Bottom