Track work

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
Have any of the SA guys given Mallala or Collingfrove a crack yet? If/when I get one I would happily put it out there, I just want to know who has got what times and with what mods.
I haven't seen one out there in all the times I go out with MGEC.

G

Unregistered
I have been out to both. I did collingrove in my previous pulsar, and did mallala in my evo.

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
I'm mainly asking what times Legnums/VR4's pull

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
I had the legnum at collingrove last year for the come n try. There was no 'official' times but i was getting around 41s from memory, with a slipping clutch (so i couldnt launch any higher than 2.5k rpm, which was costing me).

You know what mods it had ;)

If/when i get the legnum back and sorted, ill be doing heaps more

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Im keen to get the Legnum out to Mallala to see what sorta time I could crack BUT I'm worried about breaking something as its my daily driver, and without it I'd be in deep shit (to put it bluntly)

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
Yeah, and it's usually the guys that track their daily's that break something. There were 2 of them yesterday! How much you reckon a tow from Mallala to Norwood would be lol.

Gary31

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
96 Legnum V-r4
I took my car out on the track last Thursday and it was awesome. I did not stress about times ( it was an untimed day) just about trying to get some experiance.

I have Brembos and i think they worked pretty well, although there was still some brake fade.

The track i was at (broadford) was a low speed track (i got to about 160 and some of the EVO guys where logging speeds of 180ish) which i think worked in my favor as it allowed me to get used to the incresed speed a bit better than if i was at phillip island or sandown.

BTW i did see someone write off their $45K car (lost it braking on the back stright, slid over the muddy infeild, hit a ditch and rolled). I feel sorry for the guy but one of the instructors said that he was not supprised thet he had a major of as he sounded pretty confidant while addmitting he did not have a firm handle on the car. So i think having the 'right' attitude is one of the most important things.

Jeff from Techsport was there and took me out to show me lines and braking markers which was very usefull. he also took his car out for a session and overtook all the other cars includeing quite a few GT3's.

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
Yeah, and it's usually the guys that track their daily's that break something. There were 2 of them yesterday! How much you reckon a tow from Mallala to Norwood would be lol.

2 dailys that broke or 2 VR4s?

Asked steve how he went yesterday, response

'yea alright.....won everything. Had a few dramas but it was ok'

lol

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
Typical response lol. Nah, daily's not VR4's.
He works hard for those times, both working on the car and driving. He is a lil man trying to tame a massive 440ish kw VI.

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
ah. hopefully soon there'll be a legnum out there..... ;)

LOL little man indeed. His dominance is a result of all his hard work i reckon. If only a bit of that enthusiasm went to sorting out customers cars a bit quicker

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
speaking of track work, which im slowly getting into, can anyone suggest some good tools/spares etc to take out on the day? what to do beforehand etc?

maybe we should start a new thread, "Preping for a track day in your VR4" or something?

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
Excellent idea paulie. As time goes on a list of 'most breakable parts' would probably be handy too

G

Unregistered
speaking of track work, which im slowly getting into, can anyone suggest some good tools/spares etc to take out on the day? what to do beforehand etc?

maybe we should start a new thread, "Preping for a track day in your VR4" or something?

General toolbox
Jack
Chassis stands
Fluids (oil, brake fluid etc) just for top ups if needed.
Spare set of brake pads
Gerry can of petrol (ideally two)
Maybe also the odd thing like a radiator hose etc.

Prior to going, oil and filter change so You have fresh oil with good viscosity. Check ur brake setup. Check all hoses and driveshafts, just a general once over. Also a good wheel alignment too.
Also remember to change ur oil and filter as soon as you're finished as well.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Simple.
Bleed your brakes with something like Motul 660- don't skimp here- it's pretty cheap stuff.
If using road tyres, pump them up to at least 40psi, this will prevent you from rolling them off the rim during a period of high load. I've seen a guy write off a brand new BMW by not doing this, so it's your choice.
Don't be a hero and try to make the first lap your fastest, your last lap should be.
Get under the car and tighten your nuts and bolts. Yep all of them. I do this every time, i've never had an issue.
When you finish your lap timed lap, keep your pace up around 60%-70% of max speed, this will give the bits time to get a decent amount of heat out of them before you stop in the pits. If you're still worried, go for a drive up the road if the circuit allows. When you do stop, don't let the car sit in one place, push it back or forward to move the hot pad off one spot on the rotor.
Let the car run for around 5 or so minutes with the bonet open.
Check your tyres pressures, adjust as required.
Tools, for most of you, just take a basic set to cover basic stuff-
Fill the car up with petrol at the closest station to the track.! If it gets down to 1/4, go back fill it up, cheap insurance against fuel surge.
Oil- don't know how the 6A goes with oil surge.
Have fun
When finished change the oil, it'll be rooted.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Excellent post simon!

But below 1/2 a tank for a VR4 is bad for fuel surge and I'd take a spare set of rad hoses but then that is my predjudice seeing as I have blown two recently (long story). And by bleed I think Simon means flush and bleed the fluid prior.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
I change the engine oil & filter after every track day without fail....always. When i pulled my engine down after a cracked block, the bearings were perfect, and yes i mean perfect. My current engine builder couldn't believe it.
Brakes, as above, i bleed them after every track day, again without fail. I use a "one person kit". Only really need to pump the pedal 2-3 times to remove the fluid closest to the calipers that will be very sad after repeated and sustained heat cycles.

Zip ties, certainly a must for any track goer :)

Hope that helps?

Top Bottom