Trans cooler and new fluid

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
Over the weekend I installed the trans cooler and gave the box a drink of fresh Amsoil ATF. It's just lurrrrvly to drive now. Changes so smoothly, I love it. Oh and the install was a walk in the park, only when it came to filling up the box did I start to experience my typical impromptu outbursts of profanity, due to ATF spurting all over the place and making a mess.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Good work, only 6 months or so overdue ;)..... I never actually got to experience the difference a cooler and new oil makes as mine has been off the road since it was done !! :(

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
LOL, yeah well that seems to be my life lately, only now am I getting around to things I had planned 6 months ago, like my sponsorship proposal, I'm really pushing it to find a sponsor now being so close to the end of the year but, fingers crossed.

you wouldn't notice any difference with the cooler, it's just the change of fluid that would be noticable. Oh yeah I failed to report before, the drain plug was 100% void of metal parts and gunk so I'm happy.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
LOL, yeah well that seems to be my life lately, only now am I getting around to things I had planned 6 months ago, like my sponsorship proposal, I'm really pushing it to find a sponsor now being so close to the end of the year but, fingers crossed.

you wouldn't notice any difference with the cooler, it's just the change of fluid that would be noticable. Oh yeah I failed to report before, the drain plug was 100% void of metal parts and gunk so I'm happy.

Yeah man, good luck with the sponsorship! Would be awesome to see you out there blitzing the field :D (even though you should be doing it in the VR4!)

BTW - Gets hot here and i get laggy shifts in the heat so i may notice more so than others. When its fixed i'll let you know :ROFLMAO:

Good news about the drain plug man.... Trust me, its a daugnting sight seeing metal shards that came from your geabox :eek:

G

Unregistered
as the weather is getting hotter, and my gearbox is not changing as smooth as before..does it mean a cooler is the way to go?, i just got new oil in it but still bit laggy and knoks abit after a 30 minutes drive in the hot
but its perfect when start up in the morning

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Im in Far north NSW and it's gettin up to like 35 degrees and I think a trans cooler would make a fair difference. Most of the guys on the forum reckon they're a must as these gearboxes weren't made to suit the Aussie heat.

G

Unregistered
i will for sure
thanks for all the info guys

but my box sorta gave up on me today...

even i had new oil and filter on last week

after 20-30 minutes drive,(i thought the box gets hot and it did the same to me again,)

stuck at 2nd and not changing gear when i parked it for 5 minutes outside my house

anyone can help? any auto box lying around that i can buy it off u guys?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
i think your car's in a limp mode.. reset your ecu by disconnecting the battery wires for about 10 minutes.. while the battery's off turn your head lights off therefore you definitely lose the remaining power...

once you connect the battery back on..

try to do some troubleshooting.. check if you have any vacuum hose leaks or if the TCL canister is shot.. i think this happened to some members here..

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
What oil had you actually put into it, and did you fill it to the correct level? Did it get better at all when you changed the oil or was it the same or worse?

G

Unregistered
yes i use Diamon Queen SPIII,
and i am pretty sure i got it at right level, as from last time experience i know how to check the fluid level in the box and also i got i check with my mechanic this time
i was able to drive home last time after i change the oil , gear changing soomth too

it does drive better once oil change , smoother, but not last long until i get about 20-30minutes drive it start laggy shift and engage in gear so hard, ...and then i stop and park it.outside my house ..then it stuck at 2nd , and can only reverse or 2nd gear

i will try disconnect it tomorrow and see what will happen but i doubt this will help me as i try this before when i have this problem first time

wil the TCL shot make that happen as well? my car use to have TCL lights come on sometimes and engine lights on as well but recent (last 2 months) didnt happen so i just ignore that

i checked before and i got 71 and 77 error code, but then the light is gone so i didnt do anything to fix it, and u guys think they are related?

G

Unregistered
hm..well i suppose its need a rebuild but before i go ahead how can i make sure theres nothing else or other things go wrong?

i live in Peakhurst and i am thinking to tow my car to my friends garage name TOP ONE in arncliff
dont know if u guys heard of it but its quite popular around here and u may see their cars on auto salon

dont know if i should tow there and have a check first or i just go straight to hills?
does the $2200 a pretty firm price of rebuild the whole gearbox or depends on what to do with ur box first? maybe more or mabe less?
any recommandation?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Dude call them - always the best way to find out as you can describe your problem and they can tell you what they estimate based on your individual circumstances :)

G

Unregistered
i tried to call the Hills motorsports and they are off until mid JAN

so i think i will try them again when they open

but funny things happen again is my gbox now changing gears again and as smooth as new after i leave the battery disconnect for a day

but i guess it will do the same once it get warm up (15-20 minutes drive) ---- start engaging in gears hard and stuck in 2nd once i put on park and start again

now it worry me is will there be any chances are the sensors problem?

what sensors i will be looking at?

also i need to buy a trans cooler anyway, where can i get one?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Drive it very carefully around the block a few times and see what happens.

You can get trans coolers from just about any place, even supercheap sell them.

G

Unregistered
around the block is ok
but once it go on highway and come back it start doing that again

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Felix, i suggest you dont drive your car until you get it looked at professionally..

your box maybe overheating and have cooked your g/box oil..

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Get fault codes first.... Might get lucky with them :) Could be something as simple as a gear selector switch!

BTW - Limp mode locks in 3rd not 2nd Chris ;)

Have a look through the Automatic Transmission thread and see if you can find something in there..... Plenty of useful info

IMO, sounds like the oil is getting hot and causing the clutch packs to not pressurise enough to shift the gear hence the clonking and then just gets stuck in second perhaps because of an "ECU fault"????

*reminds oneself he is no expert in the matter and should just shuttup now

Can you shed some light on this one Mitch?

Top Bottom