Tuning the SAFC

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
I have a question for those with experience with SAFC tuning - ie. those with good knowledge and/or had it done.
What is your opinion on who tunes the SAFC?

Reason I ask is I have been quoted by a well known tuner in Adelaide $150 to tune the SAFC once I fit it to my car. He is very well respected for remapping of Nissan ECU's as well as having tuned tens (maybe hundreds) of SAFCs.
I have had another offer from a person/workshop to do it for $80, however they have only recently purchased an AWD dyno and began tuning of vehicles .

NOW - can the cheaper person stuff it up, or is SAFC really pretty fool proof? I understand that when adjusting AFM signals, Timing advance/retard and mapping boost pressures with a soleniod (such as haltech setup) the experience is much more critical. BUT if the person is just adjusting the SAFC on the AFM only, surely its as simple as do a base run, adjust, run again to check, adjust etc.

Am I correct that is pretty straight forward, or would the tuner with only a year or so experience not get as "good a tune" as the experienced guy?

Thanks!

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
I'm assuming you mean X dollars per hour? The guy who's done heaps is most likely to get it done quicker (maybe and hour or 2) therefore your total cost could be cheaper than the other guy who takes 3 to 4 hours to get it done.

G

Unregistered
^^ that, and i think he means the quality of the tune and ensuring its tuned to the correct AFR's throughout the rev range and not leaning out too much in 1 spot etc.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Stephen, go with the guy that's done a few. He's obviously knows what he's doing. That said anyone can "stuff up a tune" And yes its only adjusting mixtures.

$150 to tune it s great, even if its $150/hour that's pretty standard. I'd go with the guy that's done more.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
That'll teach me for not ready the name, i casually glanced at the Avatar and saw a white wagon. Obviously i didn't pick up from that it was facing the other way :eek:

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
also, sure, you may get your afr perfect but you may still get pinging at perfect AFR's. The more experienced tuner may be able to pick this up better.. (may actually need to run richer than the normal number)

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
Jeff will do wonders ;)

I was going to get him to do my Neo install and tune, but now I'm selling the NEO and getting an SAFC-II if I can find one :(

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
^hehe, Jeff is the man with the experience I spoke of. He was very helpful on the phone, and he spoke of already playing with a legnum - was that yours?

Also, why are you selling the Neo? I bought an SAFC II over I as it has 12 instead of 8 mapping points, but the NEO has 16 which I thought would be better again? Issues with it?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
as far as i know there's a bug in the NEO.. which Apexi's still trying to sort out..

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
I am going to be installing my SAFCII tomorrow and was wondering is it better to use connectors or to solder and splice the wires onto the ECU wires?

G

Unregistered
I soldered all mine. As well as being a better connection there is less chance of them being pulled out if it is just a connector or the connector becoming loose over time.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
Ok , so the SAFCII i bought from Kevin ( VR4ROCKET ) is fully installed. Just a thing that seems odd to me is 1, the knock reading is weird as it stays on 0 whilst driving but as soon as i stop and idle for any longer than 10 seconds it starts to toggle ie anywhere up to 10 ( being the highest reading ) but usually around 5. 2, this unit came out of Kevins Leggie and it has similar mods as mine but the thing is not correcting AFR at all, i have driven like 30klm after installing it and it hasn't moved. Just stays on +-0 ?
Any one have similar readings on theirs?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Trevor, the SAFC2 does not correct your AFR AUTOMATICALLY.. and yes from time to time you will see knock readings, because you will need to set this up when you initially install your gadget..

if you go to the apexi's website and look at the install manual for the SAFC II

go down to page 38 and you'll see that you're required to set it..

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
man this is getting waaaaay to complicated for me:eek:
i think its time to employ the help of a professional tuner.

Top Bottom