Tweeter connection

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
Hi all, I purchased this head unit ( http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280746302208) in October 2011 and had it fitted by a audio place. My question is...it appears the tweeters have not been connected, is this easily done? (I am a complete NOOB when it comes to this stuff. The specifications are below.

Main feature
Newest HD Digital screen 800x480 TFT LCD, Fast response & bright. High quality from Hitachi
Motorize 7 inch screen
Built-in Digital TV Tuner : DVB-T ( mpeg-2 ) You can use touch screen to control Digital TV ( If you see other seller sell External DVB-T for upgrade , you must be use remote control for Digital TV. Can not use touch screen for it !! )
DVB-T mpeg-2 : Best for Australia , Denmark , France , Germany , Italy , Netherland , Romania , Spain , Sweden , UK
GPS function : support 3D and 2D map , Voice navigation over 20 languages in European map
FM/AM radio tuner & RDS : 40 stations preset , We guarantee it Highest preset station . Do not buy low tech unit from other seller , you pay less to us and got New technology unit !!
Hand Free call by Bluetooth with our high quality Microphone in the Front !!
Play music from Mobile phone via Bluetooth ( A2DP ) Any mobile phone have Bluetooth function .. it compatible !!
2 SD card slot , USB in the FRONT !!
iPod Support !! ( suport for music only and not support iPhone )
Amplifier : 4x50w
When you use GPS mode , you can watch DVD , Radio , MP3 in the same time

Gary

mcs

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
1997 Galant VR-4
tweeters are normally on splits, so have a speaker and a seperate tweeter and come with a little amplifier, normally somewhere in there door, which powers both the speaker + tweeter.

Cheers Mark.

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
So by rights, there should be a small amp in the door to run this? (the speaker system HAS NOT been upgraded, they are all factory)

Gary

mcs

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
1997 Galant VR-4
that's how i know splits to work in aftermarket systems, but how they work on original systems im not 100% sure, but since they didn't touch your speakers might not be like that, who knows what they did behind when connecting the unit though, better leave it to someone that has replaced the system or had a look back there, or maybe a wiring diagram?, but on the original wiring post on here doesn't mention anything about tweeters connecting to the head unit, so best bet is doors or somewhere behind the dash there may be the little amps.

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
Thanks Mark for the input, I have NFI when it comes to this stuff.

Gary

eyecandy

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Adam
Drive
Evo VII GSR
Guys...... The factory splits do not have a "little amp thingy"- (which is actually a crossover on aftermarket splits to seperate the audio frequency- mid and low bass to woofer, treble to tweeter, not an amplifier). The woofer and tweeter are just wired individually straight off the deck and get a full frequency range sent to them, no factory crossover at all. You will notice if you take the door trim off and remove the woofer that there is x2 + wires and x2 - wires. You will also notice that the second + and - run back up the loom up to the tweeter.

If this audio place has only installed a head unit and not removed the door trims (no need to unless installing speakers as well) they should be working fine. all depends on if they used an adapter loom to wire in the new deck or if they cut the plugs off and hard wired the unit but missed the tweeter wires in the factory loom. It seems the latter is more than likely what has happened.

The deck will need to be removed again and have the speaker wiring inspected.

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
Thanks Adam, I feel the latter has happened so I will have to pull out the head unit and see if I can find the wires.

Gary

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
No factory crossover O_O Not even a simple cap & resistor?

eyecandy

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Adam
Drive
Evo VII GSR
No factory crossover O_O Not even a simple cap & resistor?

Not form what I could see, pretty poor hey!

Unless its under the dash or behind the kick panel or something but I couldnt see one and usually it would be a simple in line resitor close to the actual speaker, there is definately nothing inside the doors anyhow.

EDIT: come to think of it the tweeters are bridged straight off the plug that connects to the woofer, I traced the bridged wires up to the tweeter- no crossover.

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Yeah there was no factory crossover on either of my two Legnums either. Not very good for the speakers but they're not very good speakers so it doesn't matter too much :p

Gary it could be in your best interests (if the sound isn't satisfactory) to look at a new set of 6.5'' splits for the front doors, or take your car back to the shop that installed it. If you tell them the tweeters aren't connected/working they should troubleshoot it pretty quickly, and shouldn't charge you any more seeing as it was their work in the first place.

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
Thank guys for the input. The sound from the speakers is fine, I am not a "techno head" so I don't crank the volume up to loud. The reason I asked this question in the first place is because I noticed they were not working at all, it seems that the cut an splice method has been used when installing the unit as the wires have been soldered and taped. Think I will take it back and see what they can do. Thanks again for the help.

Gary

eyecandy

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Adam
Drive
Evo VII GSR
At least they soldered :p Sounds like a good move mate, they should be more than happy to resolve it for you. But seriously a pair of splits even off the headunit for $150-$200 makes a world of difference even if you only listen to AM radio lol, also very easy to install.

Lateralus45

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Braithe
Drive
96 Legnum VR4
Pretty sure my original tweeters has a little capacitor and resistor right on the tweeter itself and yeah as said only one wire goes to the head unit from the speakers so unless they pulled the door trim off and cut the tweeter wire if one is wired they both will be. the tweeter wire just runs straight from the woofer plug to the tweeter.

casuarina26

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Phil
Drive
2010 Skoda Octavia vRS 125TDI, 02 Hyundai Elantra
Galant was been Sold
Pretty sure my original tweeters has a little capacitor and resistor right on the tweeter itself and yeah as said only one wire goes to the head unit from the speakers so unless they pulled the door trim off and cut the tweeter wire if one is wired they both will be. the tweeter wire just runs straight from the woofer plug to the tweeter.

They do, as I replaced the just the tweeters in mine with some alpine type s that I bought second hand [never used] that came with crossover's, and just rewired each door

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
Thanks for all the help guys.

Gary

leggei007

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeff Stewart
Drive
88 Astra turbo n 2012 Holden Cruze diesel hatch
If you have anymore problems u would be better off just rewiring all of your speakers to ensure that all speakers are working

Top Bottom