Varioline; perfect bass box material

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
I just bought a pair of alpine type R 12" subs off ebay, and the guy who I bought it off recommended this stuff to be used instead of MDF.

4e0fceb4cf10dd16cf43667f69fe2100.jpg

It's called varioline and is supposed to be really strong, easy to work with and almost as light as plastic which is very helpful when trying to keep weight down. He reckons around $120 worth should get me plenty.

I'm gonna look into the possibility of creating something to fit into the tyrewell, however if it proves too complex, then I'll just go for a standard design to sit behind the back seats.

These 2 subs in combination with a alpine 1000 watt rms amp should create a seriously disturbing amount of bass.

G

Unregistered
two 12"s in the boot well would be a tight fit,
make sure you have a divider seperating each sub, rather than sharing one big space

what sort of volume doz each sub need??
whats the coil setup of the type r's??
and RMS ratings??
and are you going sealed or ported?
whats the specs of the amp??

to be honest unless you going all out for a SPL car 25mm MDF is better value for money.
you wouldnt notice the difference

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
I looked around for the Data sheets on the subs but only found this, found these specs also:

12" subwoofer with dual 2-ohm voice coils
Kevlar® reinforced pulp cone with Santoprene™ rubber surround
cast aluminum frame with perimeter venting
frequency response: 23-500 Hz

power handling: 200-500 watts RMS (250 watts per coil)

peak power: 1,500 watts

sensitivity: 85 dB

top-mount depth: 7-5/8"

sealed box volume: 0.57-1.0 cu. ft.

ported box volume: 0.75-2.0 cu. ft.

This link seems pretty good, gives a lot of useful info in sub box designs.

the amp is here rated at 1000W RMS x 1 (2 ohm @ 14.4V)

G

Unregistered
Ive been wondering when someone was going to come up with a light weight alternative to MDF for sub boxes. Ever since i built the sub install on my first car ive been thinking there has to be a lighter option, cause even with a realativly simple install there was still alot of weight in 13mm MDF.

G

Unregistered
Im running two type-r alpine subs in my vr4, they are awesome two of the best that i have ever heard..

Good luck with the box..

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
Im running two type-r alpine subs in my vr4, they are awesome two of the best that i have ever heard..

Good luck with the box..

Got any pics of the box you made?

I got one that came with the subs, however it weighs at least 15kg on its own. That in combination with the subs themselves is too much.

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
type R subs are nuts,i dont know anyone unhappy with them
check out www.alpine.com.au for all specs on them,vie been a fan for a while
ive got type R splits in the front that arent amped yet(because im lazy)
also got a v-power amp and type-R 6x9s in my bedroom,im trying to figure a way to keep the 6x9s but my local audio store doesnt recomend it

and im just getting one type R sub with a big mono block for the boot

but back to the topic,that vaso/valvo/variolene stuff looks interesting

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
i have 2 type r's and the 1000rms mono too, sounds great :p boot rattle is the only issue haha (starts out light, but gets worse) its a shitload of weight though and mine is currently the box fitted to my previous car just moved into the vr4 :p

G

Unregistered
Got any pics of the box you made?

I got one that came with the subs, however it weighs at least 15kg on its own. That in combination with the subs themselves is too much.

Yeah mine are just in a standard old mdf box as well, im looking at doing a new box sometime soon, just been way to busy..

Heres a pic of what they look like now.....
P5240019.jpg

Heres the headunit.....
P5240024.jpg

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
That looks like it would seriously crank.

G

Unregistered
Yeah dude i would seriously suggest to any1 that was gonna get subs, should really look at getting these...

I have a friend that managed to somehow score $40k worth of carbon fibre so he reckons he could do a cool sub setup in his wagon, so im gonna see how that goes and if it looks good and is light i might get him to do me one..

G

Unregistered
Yeah dude i would seriously suggest to any1 that was gonna get subs, should really look at getting these...

I have a friend that managed to somehow score $40k worth of carbon fibre so he reckons he could do a cool sub setup in his wagon, so im gonna see how that goes and if it looks good and is light i might get him to do me one..

Fell off the back of a truck? :D

I'm tossing up whether to do a tyre well install or just a sub box similar to yours. I use the whole space in the wagon when I transport my music gear for gigs so the tyre well idea would be best suited, but seems like a lot of work. The other option is having a similar setup to yours but just having quick release RCA-type connectors so I can remove the subs without much hassle.

I was originally going to invest in a pair of 12" JL Audio subs, but I might scout around and see if I can find any demo Alpine Type R's to listen to before I make up my mind.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
To give you an idea of prices, I picked up a 5 month old pair for $350 including a (heavy) MDF box.

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
P5240019.jpg

i think you would be quite surprised at how much better they would sound if they were facing the boot....just from my experience

Top Bottom